Gravy's Cooking Thread

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've now done Gordon Ramsay's turkey recipe a few times, and it always comes out pretty good (as good as turkey can be). But the real star of the show is if you make the turkey gravy like he says to - using apple cider. That gravy is incredibly delicious, and turns your potatoes into the best thing on the plate. I did skip the walnuts.

Turkey Gravy with Cider & Walnuts
Went to families house for all the Holidays, so the 19lb Turkey has sat in the freezer until a few days ago! Thanks for this! I'll make it today!

Turkey Recipe - Dry-Brined Turkey Recipe

Using TJT TJT link for mashed potatoes - HOLIDAY TURKEY

Cranberry Recipe - I end up adding way more cinnamon and orange zest/juice to it than it calls for.
Ingredients
  • 12 oz cranberries about 3 cups
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water or orange juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes uncovered.
  3. Cool and serve.

Basically FOH has made my whole meal!! Amazing!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey Lanx Lanx , my lady wants me to get a ton of noodles (like top ramen style) that we can have ready for random stir fry dinners. Nothing fancy and we'd just be throwing in veggies and chicken or beef.

Can you give me a recommendation for something like that that I can order off Amazon?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hey Lanx Lanx , my lady wants me to get a ton of noodles (like top ramen style) that we can have ready for random stir fry dinners. Nothing fancy and we'd just be throwing in veggies and chicken or beef.

Can you give me a recommendation for something like that that I can order off Amazon?

top ramen/maruchan is like 15c each???

Sure i'll break it down by, categories
korean:
NongShim Shin Ramyun Noodle Soup, Gourmet Spicy, 4.2 Ounce is korean and spicy, THICK noodle, goes really well with dropped in veggies, you can also find them at walmart (i won't say grocery stores, but everyone has a walmart), probably a buck each

If you slice your beef or pork really thin on the bias you can also just throw it in like hot pot (freeze it for 30m b4 you cut you have a firmer meat to cut)

This is also gaining in popularity, it is super super spicy "fire chicken" noodles
Samyang Instant Ramen Noodles, Halal Certified, Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken Flavor (Pack of 5) at 2bucks a pack it's not bad on amazon (korean grocer will be 1 buckish)

malay/thai:
mama noodles are a decent representation of tom yum soup and noodles, hella cheap at .50c a package, spicy. Tip i'd give is to cut a shrimp or two in half or even thinner, maybe even microwave it a few seconds and throw it in the boiling soup semi raw and you have a nice soup, throw a basil on top a few onions, gtg.

jap/chinese:
Nissin Demae Ramen, Sesame Oil, 3.5 oz (30 packs) these are always going to be a staple for me, since i also grew up w/ them, they are ENTIRELY different from top ramen, even tho it's made by Nissin, it's imported and at less than a buck a package it's as good as you're gonna at a regular asian grocer, they have other flavors, if you can find the tonkatsu flavor, try that too (this is the basic flavor), for this one i like to put in raw bok choy or, i'll boil the water first, drop in some broccoli crowns for 5minutes, THEN i drop in the noodles and finish off after 3-5minutes (noodles past 5mins turn mush, thats why i put broc in first, nice good boiled broc needs 10mins), the broccoli will absorb the soup base flavor.

That should be a good starting off point, also TJT TJT , does more traditional shop ramen, i think he goes to greennoodle.com for his fresh noodles. We disagree on chashu(infidel version) vs. chinese char-siu tho!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
top ramen/maruchan is like 15c each???

Sure i'll break it down by, categories
korean:
NongShim Shin Ramyun Noodle Soup, Gourmet Spicy, 4.2 Ounce is korean and spicy, THICK noodle, goes really well with dropped in veggies, you can also find them at walmart (i won't say grocery stores, but everyone has a walmart), probably a buck each

If you slice your beef or pork really thin on the bias you can also just throw it in like hot pot (freeze it for 30m b4 you cut you have a firmer meat to cut)

This is also gaining in popularity, it is super super spicy "fire chicken" noodles
Samyang Instant Ramen Noodles, Halal Certified, Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken Flavor (Pack of 5) at 2bucks a pack it's not bad on amazon (korean grocer will be 1 buckish)

malay/thai:
mama noodles are a decent representation of tom yum soup and noodles, hella cheap at .50c a package, spicy. Tip i'd give is to cut a shrimp or two in half or even thinner, maybe even microwave it a few seconds and throw it in the boiling soup semi raw and you have a nice soup, throw a basil on top a few onions, gtg.

jap/chinese:
Nissin Demae Ramen, Sesame Oil, 3.5 oz (30 packs) these are always going to be a staple for me, since i also grew up w/ them, they are ENTIRELY different from top ramen, even tho it's made by Nissin, it's imported and at less than a buck a package it's as good as you're gonna at a regular asian grocer, they have other flavors, if you can find the tonkatsu flavor, try that too (this is the basic flavor), for this one i like to put in raw bok choy or, i'll boil the water first, drop in some broccoli crowns for 5minutes, THEN i drop in the noodles and finish off after 3-5minutes (noodles past 5mins turn mush, thats why i put broc in first, nice good boiled broc needs 10mins), the broccoli will absorb the soup base flavor.

That should be a good starting off point, also TJT TJT , does more traditional shop ramen, i think he goes to greennoodle.com for his fresh noodles. We disagree on chashu(infidel version) vs. chinese char-siu tho!
That's awesome, thanks man. Exactly what I was looking for, and neither of us even knew that spicy noodles existed. Going to try all of those out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's awesome, thanks man. Exactly what I was looking for, and neither of us even knew that spicy noodles existed. Going to try all of those out.
this better not be the same woman that laughed at me buying the psvr for beat saber workout, or maybe it's good and she's learned to trust asians on asian things.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
this better not be the same woman that laughed at me buying the psvr for beat saber workout, or maybe it's good and she's learned to trust asians on asian things.
Dude, this is as close to verbatim as I can remember...

Her - "You should fill up the top shelf with noodles. Is there anything better than the ramen we get?"

Me - "No idea, I can't tell the cheap noodles from the fancy ones".

Her - "Ask your Asian friend from your nerd message board. The one that got the lightsaber game with his wife".

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dude, this is as close to verbatim as I can remember...

Her - "You should fill up the top shelf with noodles. Is there anything better than the ramen we get?"

Me - "No idea, I can't tell the cheap noodles from the fancy ones".

Her - "Ask your Asian friend from your nerd message board. The one that got the lightsaber game with his wife".
you bagged a good trainable one!

one word of caution, the mama noodles and spicy chicken one, even burns my butthole.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I have a toaster oven that has an air fry setting. I imagine a stand alone air fryer would perform better, but no complaints so far.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
you bagged a good trainable one!

one word of caution, the mama noodles and spicy chicken one, even burns my butthole.
Damnitt. She could drink dragon spit, but Tabasco is about the most I can take before I start to sweat. Maybe I'll get used to it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Damnitt. She could drink dragon spit, but Tabasco is about the most I can take before I start to sweat. Maybe I'll get used to it
if you want to explore other noodle types later, i think amazon has a decent dried soba(buckwheat) thats the dipping type. but i don't think amazon has any decent mei fun or rice noodles or udon or lo mein, if you're interested in other types i'll check.

i mean Noodleface Noodleface should really be helpin you out, but he's only hip w/ mama mia noodles!

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
korean:

I have been getting these from Walmart for years based on Lanx's recommendation and I can confirm that they are head and shoulders above the standard grocery store ramen.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
if you want to explore other noodle types later, i think amazon has a decent dried soba(buckwheat) thats the dipping type. but i don't think amazon has any decent mei fun or rice noodles or udon or lo mein, if you're interested in other types i'll check.

i mean Noodleface Noodleface should really be helpin you out, but he's only hip w/ mama mia noodles!
I can't stand rice noodles, but I'll try anything else you recommend.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I can't stand rice noodles, but I'll try anything else you recommend.
then about what i see amazons got is Hime Dried Buckwheat Soba Noodles, 25.40-Ounce, you 6 servings for a bit over a buck, not bad. You can go the traditional route and serve it cold, boil water, soften it up for 5mins, then shock it in cold water and drain and get some kind of dipping sauce like Kikkoman Memmi Noodle Soup Base, or just add it as a hot soup base.

What i personally like to do is take a ramen package, and take like half a serving or less of the soba and add it in, gives the whole dish a difference of dual textures and the soba adds a bit of thickness to the broth.

other noodles don't look so good on amazon, if you have access to a local asian grocer i'll throw some images your way if you want too, just ask.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
then about what i see amazons got is Hime Dried Buckwheat Soba Noodles, 25.40-Ounce, you 6 servings for a bit over a buck, not bad. You can go the traditional route and serve it cold, boil water, soften it up for 5mins, then shock it in cold water and drain and get some kind of dipping sauce like Kikkoman Memmi Noodle Soup Base, or just add it as a hot soup base.

What i personally like to do is take a ramen package, and take like half a serving or less of the soba and add it in, gives the whole dish a difference of dual textures and the soba adds a bit of thickness to the broth.

other noodles don't look so good on amazon, if you have access to a local asian grocer i'll throw some images your way if you want too, just ask.
Ordered a pack.

I've been screen shotting and printing recipes for a bit and it drives her crazy. This'll give her a fucking aneurysm tomorrow.

20181230_193546.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My god, this new dutch oven is so easy to clean. I can't believe I even put up with a regular cast iron variant for so long.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been trying to eat healthy, wife's been on my ass. Tonight's recipe was bowtie whole wheat paste, pan seared chicken (cast iron of course), and broccoli. Was seasoned with adobo and pepper. Topped with cheese. Everything tasted great until the final ingredient. It said mix in a half cup of mayo or dressing. Dressing was unspecified so I got some Ken's northern italian, fucking gross. Ruined it for me. Not sure what dressing would've been better suited. Creamy Italian maybe? Caesar? I thought spicy ranch might destroy it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Been trying to eat healthy, wife's been on my ass. Tonight's recipe was bowtie whole wheat paste, pan seared chicken (cast iron of course), and broccoli. Was seasoned with adobo and pepper. Topped with cheese. Everything tasted great until the final ingredient. It said mix in a half cup of mayo or dressing. Dressing was unspecified so I got some Ken's northern italian, fucking gross. Ruined it for me. Not sure what dressing would've been better suited. Creamy Italian maybe? Caesar? I thought spicy ranch might destroy it
lulz, how do you have a "healthy" recipe that calls for fuckin mayo or dressing as the final ingredient?

Just skip dressing entirely thats stuff nasty, reserve it for celery.

Also imo, if you want to "start eating healthy" don't jump into it all guns blazing, all or nuttin.

Like if i had a "healthy" recipe that calls for brown rice instead of white rice, fuck that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
lulz, how do you have a "healthy" recipe that calls for fuckin mayo or dressing as the final ingredient?

Just skip dressing entirely thats stuff nasty, reserve it for celery.

Also imo, if you want to "start eating healthy" don't jump into it all guns blazing, all or nuttin.

Like if i had a "healthy" recipe that calls for brown rice instead of white rice, fuck that.
I dunno man it's a diabetes cook book. It called for light mayo