Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nah, I just used your Amazon link. I'll check at Walmart now that I'll recognize it.
thats cool, they usually have a 4pack for under a buck each. The same company (nongshim) makes a decent pho bowl. I'm not saying i'd die for it but the pho broth is as good as i can make at home, and i suck at it. (i'd have to travel over a hour to get good pho otherwise)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Made this last night to get rid of some stuff in my fridge. It was actually delicious. I would say use less soy sauce and no sugar though. I also used a spring mix and not bok choy. Do not be deterred by the odd, "dressing."

Crispy Tofu and Bok Choy Salad | Ruled Me

I also bought some black bean spaghetti noodles in an effort to find some more good traditional noodle alternatives. Trying them out today.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Made this last night to get rid of some stuff in my fridge. It was actually delicious. I would say use less soy sauce and no sugar though. I also used a spring mix and not bok choy. Do not be deterred by the odd, "dressing."

I also bought some black bean spaghetti noodles in an effort to find some more good traditional noodle alternatives. Trying them out today.

I love these kinds of pasta and red lentil... but my girlfriend is the pasta/carb freak and swears they don’t scratch the itch for her 🤷🏽‍♂️

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

One trick for anything involving soy sauce is consider oyster sauce. It has a similar flavor and has way less liquid to flavor ratio

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
if you got that from walmart, maybe see if they have the "black label" next time, it's a brothier version

Yup. I've been enjoying both kinds for a few years now. Been getting back into ramen with my new calorie counting stuff since it's pretty low on calories and very filling. Will probably have to look into flavoring alternatives when I start looking at lower salt options in a few months. Glucose and weight first.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whelp, a new years resolution was to try baking (i hate baking the most)

my two targeted projects is fucking makin me some ny pizza, i ate about 2 pies worth going back home just to shock my shitty kansas taste buds back alive.

research has steered me towards
a3bc3847c9521d38905ad2dc5aba1f64.png

I got a pizza peel(wood so i can cut the pie on it too) and i have 4 balls poofing in the fridge now.

next up is japanese shokupan fluffy milk bread.

i've got serious bakers telling me to get some red star yeast, anything else?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have had a pellet smoker for half a year now and haven’t done a giant hunk of meat yet. Threw this on this morning, will see how it turns out in four hours or so.

C17DC973-6816-459B-A16D-29F0EAC1834F.jpeg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I tried that Chef John recipe in my air fryer. I don't know why I continue to be surprised by the air fryer's ability to mimic frying. And it doesn't leave the home smelling like a fast food restaurant. And the cleanup is much easier.
20190104_214153.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Jesus Christ, Lanx Lanx - these ones are too hot for my white ass. Going to have to go with your recommendation and make some cold salads out of them.

20190105_120745.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
There's a Chinese corner store only a couple blocks from me that I went into for the first time on New Years Day since it was one of the only markets open near me. They have the most absurd collection of noodles. I know I recognized most of the ones Lanx posted. I have work to do, fellas. Can't believe in the seven years I've lived in this place I've never been there.
I went on a quick service call this week, and it was right next to one of our local Asian groceries. And as we drove past it, I was thinking the same thing: I've been past this place 100 times, and I've literally never set foot in it. I was thinking "I wonder if Lanx Lanx has been to this one". He probably has been. For some reason I seem to remember someone (here or IRL) saying that there are better asian groceries here.

Chinatown Food Market - Rivermarket - Kansas City, MO

I don't cook on the level that I'd need to get legit ingredients from a place like that. But noodles...that might be worth a trip somewhere.

I probably just need to print out Lanx' list and go shopping.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went on a quick service call this week, and it was right next to one of our local Asian groceries. And as we drove past it, I was thinking the same thing: I've been past this place 100 times, and I've literally never set foot in it. I was thinking "I wonder if Lanx Lanx has been to this one". He probably has been. For some reason I seem to remember someone (here or IRL) saying that there are better asian groceries here.

Chinatown Food Market - Rivermarket - Kansas City, MO

I don't cook on the level that I'd need to get legit ingredients from a place like that. But noodles...that might be worth a trip somewhere.

I probably just need to print out Lanx' list and go shopping.
That one i haven't seen, cuz it's too far from overland park, cuz thats where the koreans/asians are clustered. I've seen pics of it, it's a legit asian grocer, i'd say it's more "west coast asian", meaning you'll see more cali-asian products, not like that matters to anyone here, that is super asian grocer meta.

they have everything, if theres any take away i'd offer is, get the noodles and look for this
cd9465b5442b4bb2ffd114d5c663e163.jpg

chinese sweet sausage, goes amazing with fried rice and noodles, i get the kam yan jan cuz thats just what my family got, no other reason.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jesus Christ, Lanx Lanx - these ones are too hot for my white ass. Going to have to go with your recommendation and make some cold salads out of them.

View attachment 188597
i told you, it makes my ass hole cry.

like i said it those noodles started getting really popular with the mukbang crowd(watch ppl eat food)

crazy bitch almost has 3million views, don't hate. (i don't watch this stuff, it freaks me out).

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
what're the weights pre and after smoke?

Not sure yet still going. It started at 4.13 lbs. May be a couple more hours, but I’m past the temp plateau now, finally started going up again.

7C070D27-509E-4B3E-AF6E-44C6C4CC50C6.jpeg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
what're the weights pre and after smoke?

Ended up taking 12 hours, final weight 2.45 lbs. It is already falling apart and I haven’t even let it do the 45 minute sit around after period. Couple small pieces fell off. Tastes fantastic already, should be great tomorrow.

4C998E80-9BB4-4867-97BF-F22CBEA6C135.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
top ramen/maruchan is like 15c each???

Sure i'll break it down by, categories
korean:
NongShim Shin Ramyun Noodle Soup, Gourmet Spicy, 4.2 Ounce is korean and spicy, THICK noodle, goes really well with dropped in veggies, you can also find them at walmart (i won't say grocery stores, but everyone has a walmart), probably a buck each

If you slice your beef or pork really thin on the bias you can also just throw it in like hot pot (freeze it for 30m b4 you cut you have a firmer meat to cut)

This is also gaining in popularity, it is super super spicy "fire chicken" noodles
Samyang Instant Ramen Noodles, Halal Certified, Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken Flavor (Pack of 5) at 2bucks a pack it's not bad on amazon (korean grocer will be 1 buckish)

malay/thai:
mama noodles are a decent representation of tom yum soup and noodles, hella cheap at .50c a package, spicy. Tip i'd give is to cut a shrimp or two in half or even thinner, maybe even microwave it a few seconds and throw it in the boiling soup semi raw and you have a nice soup, throw a basil on top a few onions, gtg.

jap/chinese:
Nissin Demae Ramen, Sesame Oil, 3.5 oz (30 packs) these are always going to be a staple for me, since i also grew up w/ them, they are ENTIRELY different from top ramen, even tho it's made by Nissin, it's imported and at less than a buck a package it's as good as you're gonna at a regular asian grocer, they have other flavors, if you can find the tonkatsu flavor, try that too (this is the basic flavor), for this one i like to put in raw bok choy or, i'll boil the water first, drop in some broccoli crowns for 5minutes, THEN i drop in the noodles and finish off after 3-5minutes (noodles past 5mins turn mush, thats why i put broc in first, nice good boiled broc needs 10mins), the broccoli will absorb the soup base flavor.

That should be a good starting off point, also TJT TJT , does more traditional shop ramen, i think he goes to greennoodle.com for his fresh noodles. We disagree on chashu(infidel version) vs. chinese char-siu tho!
I forgot to mention, I picked something up the other day on the complete other end of the spectrum.

I'm a filthy redneck Midwesterner with terrible taste, and I struggled to choke this down. i don't know what compelled me to even buy it. Curiosity? Laziness? I don't even know. I just walked down that aisle in the grocery and grabbed it. I put it in my cabinet with my "too lazy to cook" stash and pulled it out the other day.

Noodles were slug levels of slimy. The sauce didn't taste remotely right. So now I had hot, slimy noodles with a thick snot-like sauce that tasted like something I found in a jar in the back of the fridge. And to top it off...it even came with its own packet of peanuts. Except the peanuts were exceptionally hard and a little rancid...the perfect garnish for this fetid abortion of a meal.

At least read the first few reviews, LOL.

This isn't my picture, but that about sums it up. I am still a little angry at myself for trying this. How bad could it be? Pretty God damned bad.

Thai+Kitchen+Pad+Thai+ppd.jpg

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I forgot to mention, I picked something up the other day on the complete other end of the spectrum.

I'm a filthy redneck Midwesterner with terrible taste, and I struggled to choke this down. i don't know what compelled me to even buy it. Curiosity? Laziness? I don't even know. I just walked down that aisle in the grocery and grabbed it. I put it in my cabinet with my "too lazy to cook" stash and pulled it out the other day.

Noodles were slug levels of slimy. The sauce didn't taste remotely right. So now I had hot, slimy noodles with a thick snot-like sauce that tasted like something I found in a jar in the back of the fridge. And to top it off...it even came with its own packet of peanuts. Except the peanuts were exceptionally hard and a little rancid...the perfect garnish for this fetid abortion of a meal.

At least read the first few reviews, LOL.

This isn't my picture, but that about sums it up. I am still a little angry at myself for trying this. How bad could it be? Pretty God damned bad.

Thai+Kitchen+Pad+Thai+ppd.jpg
yea that company (simply asia) is garbage. I remember being stranded in va many moons ago and trying out their canned bean sprouts, holy shit it was like slimy worms.

i think they have a dried noodle pad thai version, not something to write home about either.

• 1Like