Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Someone explain to me fat. As in, eating unrendered animal fat. I saw the fatback in Ichu Ichu 's picture and I can't imagine that having a good texture. I've been watching Alton Brown's new series(highly recommend) and cuts a ribeye with a huge stripe of unrendered fat. He's about to go down on it before the show ends. All I can think is ewww, cut that shit off before eating it. Rendered fat I have no problems with.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Someone explain to me fat. As in, eating unrendered animal fat. I saw the fatback in Ichu Ichu 's picture and I can't imagine that having a good texture. I've been watching Alton Brown's new series(highly recommend) and cuts a ribeye with a huge stripe of unrendered fat. He's about to go down on it before the show ends. All I can think is ewww, cut that shit off before eating it. Rendered fat I have no problems with.
I used to be skeeved out by it, but I'm down for the fatty steaks now. As long as it's not rubbery, it's all good.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm mostly not OK with it, but pork belly in ramen soup? That's when it's perfect.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, pork belly is another good example. Gimme dat fat.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That wasn't unrendered fat in that pic posted of the ramen. It rendered and crisped up. There was very little fat cap that wasn't crisped. Pork belly is just lighter in color and it's kinda hard to tell where the fat ends and the meat begins.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

You're missing out man.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
are you still skeeved out on fat that is improperly cooked or rubber to the point of disgusting? or the texture?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're missing out man.
On which one? Pork belly, I'll admit I've not gone out of my way to find. But neither can I recall it being offered on menus I frequent. If the white portion is truly not unrendered fat, maybe I'll get some soon. I imagine one of the southeast asian restaurants around here must serve a dish with it.

As for fatty steaks...idk. If I could trust that it was just fat, sure. But there's too often gristle or silver skin in there too, that's no fun.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
On which one? Pork belly, I'll admit I've not gone out of my way to find. But neither can I recall it being offered on menus I frequent. If the white portion is truly not unrendered fat, maybe I'll get some soon. I imagine one of the southeast asian restaurants around here must serve a dish with it.

As for fatty steaks...idk. If I could trust that it was just fat, sure. But there's too often gristle or silver skin in there too, that's no fun.
my wakandan, if you can find a real chinese restaurant, particular a cantonese one and you see this
28080673023_8f66986035_o.jpg

just point like a white man and say "1lb" get the roast duck too

and no, i don't believe in my asian heart that any asians even come close to doing anything as awesome as cantonese char siu, with pork belly. The japs have tried and call it chashu and just dump it in ramen.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My chinese friend (born there) takes me through philly china town all the time, I can vouch for the roast duck, its amazeballs.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm always amazed at how watchable her stuff is, even with no words or closed captioning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Google tells me the weird looking veggie is lotus root, but I'm just going to imagine it tasting like potato

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
yea, especially bad for ppl who have Trypophobia - an aversion to the sight of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes, or bumps.
Definitely one of the more pathetic phobias.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I tried the hot chicken ramen and I love it. Fucking Lanx, trying to fatten me up with all these noodles.