Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If it is good, you need to post the recipe. I'd kill for a 1hr pho recipe.
yea don't laugh, ya'll know where i'm at

this is the comparison
00854285000121_products_800x800.png

just made it yesterday, thin cut sirloin, brussel sprouts and some noodles i got while i was in KC.

it was "ok" not bland, and not watered down, but somewhere in between

nongshim actually has something more servicable
b9e8b5801a77e6715a509b75e38534d7.png

however the bowl of soup is like barely 2 cups of water (you wanna drink that).

and yea, i actually have a pho place, but they're, eh.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So the pho came out REALLY oily, (i'll separate with cold) but came out at least aromatic, taste was as good as box'd broth, but i'm gonna try to develop it more.

that same night i also made carnitas, b/c it seemed the easiest to make, and yup,
1.just slap down all the ingredients, set to 90m, walk away
2.empty the meat and saute the liquid automatically 10m, walk away
3.mix back in, done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So the pho came out REALLY oily, (i'll separate with cold) but came out at least aromatic, taste was as good as box'd broth, but i'm gonna try to develop it more.

that same night i also made carnitas, b/c it seemed the easiest to make, and yup,
1.just slap down all the ingredients, set to 90m, walk away
2.empty the meat and saute the liquid automatically 10m, walk away
3.mix back in, done.

Broil the carnitas for 5 mins after taking it out of the instant pot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Isnt pho just beef broth with some added asian spices like star anise and other shit?

Why not just make your own broth using some beef bones? Isnt that what the pressure cooker is meant to do? cut down on the 6-10 hr beef bone broth down to more manageable 2-4 hours?

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Instant Pot rules for making stock. I use it all the time.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Isnt pho just beef broth with some added asian spices like star anise and other shit?

Why not just make your own broth using some beef bones? Isnt that what the pressure cooker is meant to do? cut down on the 6-10 hr beef bone broth down to more manageable 2-4 hours?
thats what i just did

i think it needs more time than 90m tbh, probably like 2hours to "cook" and 2hours to simmer to build some flavor.

again, it smelled good, so the spices were there.
(star anise/cardamon/fennel/coriander)

i even had rock sugar around
黄冰糖 Lung Po Rock crystals Candy Sugar (Yellow Lump Raw Cane Sugar) 16oz (don't buy from amazon, 9bucks is a rip off, usually 2 bucks at an asian grocer, but if you don't have one...)

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I want to do some different kinds of mexican food that I havent done before, say some random reddit post about birria tacos and I am on board. Anyone ever made birria before? I've seen a couple of recipes and it seems like spicy beef short ribs basically.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Instant Pot rules for making stock. I use it all the time.

Agreed.

Buy 2 pack whole chickens at winco. Put one in with 1 cup water and basic seasoning. Cook for 6min/lb (if I remember correctly). pull out, put 2nd chicken in. While 2nd is cooking, debone first. When 2nd is done debone it also.

Put both chicken's bones plus 1-2 birds worths from the freezer to fill the pot, top up on water, use stock option.

Strain out bones and chunky bits, let cool, carefully pull off smaltz to use someplace else.

Sauce up/season the 2 boneless birds however you like them. mexican spices for burrito filler, sloppy joe or bbq for just sandwich filler, put a bit back into the stock to finish off your chicken and whatever soup.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Agreed.

Buy 2 pack whole chickens at winco. Put one in with 1 cup water and basic seasoning. Cook for 6min/lb (if I remember correctly). pull out, put 2nd chicken in. While 2nd is cooking, debone first. When 2nd is done debone it also.

Put both chicken's bones plus 1-2 birds worths from the freezer to fill the pot, top up on water, use stock option.

Strain out bones and chunky bits, let cool, carefully pull off smaltz to use someplace else.

Sauce up/season the 2 boneless birds however you like them. mexican spices for burrito filler, sloppy joe or bbq for just sandwich filler, put a bit back into the stock to finish off your chicken and whatever soup.
I also buy chicken feet from the butcher and add them in. They add a ton of collagen to the stock, making it nice and gelatinous when cooled, and adds nice body to whatever you're cooking with it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I also buy chicken feet from the butcher and add them in. They add a ton of collagen to the stock, making it nice and gelatinous when cooled, and adds nice body to whatever you're cooking with it.

hell yea fake azn brother!

when i goto a dim sum place, the first thing i order is chicken feet
steamed-chicken-feet-header-new.jpg

if it's on point, then the place is amazing.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
hell yea fake azn brother!

when i goto a dim sum place, the first thing i order is chicken feet
steamed-chicken-feet-header-new.jpg

if it's on point, then the place is amazing.
I have fond childhood memories of giving our dogs the feet and heads when butchering our chickens.

I don't see how real or fake Asians find this nonsense to be edible

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've tried chicken feet. Fucking gross. Most ethnic/foreign delicacies are terrible. Chitlins, Guinea pig, Rocky Mountain oysters, pig feet, chicken feet, morcilla, crawfish - even foie gras. I couldn't even brave fermented shark when I was in Iceland. If food in a place is good it'll be exported en masse to other places.

• 2Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think you have to have them as a child. I don't think rocky mountain oysters are that good, but I eat them every year just out of nostalgia.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
To be clear, this fake Asian simply cooks them in the pressure cooker when making broth. I'm not eating the foot after.