Gravy's Cooking Thread

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So do egg yolks really cause high cholesterol or has that been disproven? Internet can't seem to decide.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Egg debate aside I've read newer studies that show that dietary cholesterol only makes about about 10% of your total levels and the rest depends on other factors including if you won or lost the genetic lottery.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's my understanding as well. Diet is just not that big a part of what determines your colesterol and in the case of red meat the minor increase you will see in your bad cholesterol comes with a similar increase in good cholesterol which basically makes it a wash. I'm not sure if that applies to eggs as well but I think it does.

Of course that could be just until the experts change their minds again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So do egg yolks really cause high cholesterol or has that been disproven? Internet can't seem to decide.

There is no scientific evidence that high cholesterol is bad. Period. There is also no causative link between high cholesterol and heart disease.

There are correlative links, but all of the studies that show this are very poorly run and do not mitigate for very real confounding factors. Even the ones that claim they followed patients over decades are shams. The phrase "followed patients over X years" implies that they were fastidious in tracking patients, but in most cases means that the patients had once yearly check ups where they, wait for it, filled out a food questionnaire about what they had eaten over the previous year. Do you remember what you ate every day last month? How about every week over the last six months? How about a fat piece of shit that ate them self into diabetes and doesn't have the willpower to stop eating fast food so they had a heart attack and still they don't work out, you think that person has the discipline to remember what they ate over the previous year?

Dietary science is almost an oxymoron. There is very little real science that occurs in the field. The only thing we've really found out over the past few decades are that highly processed foods are definitely not good for us and that refined sugar is quite literally poison.

As far as eggs go, eat as many of them as you like. The latest research on cholesterol is that total cholesterol is virtually unaffected by dietary cholesterol, and eggs are one of the most nutritionally complete foods on the planet. Your total cholesterol number is much more dependent on your genetics than on how many eggs you eat.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ok it depends on genetics, I've read this too. How about working out? That has to play a more significant role in your good/bad cholesterol levels than diet, no?

LiquidDeath

Ok it depends on genetics, I've read this too. How about working out? That has to play a more significant role in your good/bad cholesterol levels than diet, no?

I haven't watched this one yet, but this seems to go into what you are asking about:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eggs are a super food. Ironically, most people you see eating egg whites are eating them on sandwiches with refined white flour buns/wraps, butter and cheese. But yolks are the devil...

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Eggs are a super food. Ironically, most people you see eating egg whites are eating them on sandwiches with refined white flour buns/wraps, butter and cheese. But yolks are the devil...

Jesus, I remember eating egg white omelettes and oatmeal for breakfast and some sort of baked chicken and vegetable for dinner throughout my 20's because fat was going to kill us all.

Once you start looking into the science behind all these dietary studies, you really can't help but come away thinking that everything we've been taught for decades is a load of bullshit propped up by corporate interests or "scientists" with an agenda to push. It is like climate science in that regard.

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jesus, I remember eating egg white omelettes and oatmeal for breakfast and some sort of baked chicken and vegetable for dinner throughout my 20's because fat was going to kill us all.

Once you start looking into the science behind all these dietary studies, you really can't help but come away thinking that everything we've been taught for decades is a load of bullshit propped up by corporate interests or "scientists" with an agenda to push. It is like climate science in that regard.
i mean obviously separating egg whites from yolk for baking purposes or soufeles and shit, sure, do that. but yea no, i don't subscribe to the notion of egg yolks will kill you. i'll save the egg yolks in a container and dump em in fried eggs for double yolk, they hold for about 2 days b4 they get filmy.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So my wife asked me to cook for Rosh Shoshana last night. For some reason Jewish holiday food is all about mixing sweet with the protein. Like fruit with the brisket. It dont work for me. She asked me to make a recipe that I thought sounded gross but after completion it ended up being amazing. Thus I am adding it here.

Basically I pan fried boneless skin-on chicken thighs. Made sure to get a really nice crispy skin and took them out. Deglazed the pan with a cup of apple juice and 1/4 teaspoon of thyme. Reduced to half and then put the chicken back in for 3-4 minutes. The apple juice reduced to a nice thick glaze.

Apple juice coated chicken sounded bad, but it tasted amazing. Pretty simple recipe and worth a try.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I eat a shitton of eggs(with yolks) and my cholesterol is fine. I also do a shitload of cardio exercise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well I dont do any cardio but have been on a keto diet for about 4 yrs now and my numbers are extatic, best they have been all my adult life. (They test me at work every year) I cheat sometimes when its inconveniant to keto, but pretty much sticking to it 95%.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I like beer and bread way too much for keto, but I work out 6 days a week, which allows me to pretty much eat like a pig and maintain(for the most part). I did Atkins several years ago for a couple years and lost a ton of weight and had great numbers. Cutting carbs definitely works. It's just not fun.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity