Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Keto's a huge pain in the ass. Hard to teach my kids to cook when I can't cook anything with them. Hard to eat out with the family. Have to meal plan like a motherfucker. And man, I love carbs. But that's the problem I guess. Don't want to end up like my uncle who is in his late 50s and in danger of having his foot removed.

But, I eat a lot of eggs, don't work out, and my cholesterol and blood pressure etc are all immaculate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
How many shitloads are in a shitton again?
Different units of measure entirely, in this context. Shitton is weight, shitload is frequency. C'mon, this is fecal-measurements 101, Brutul!

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I am kind of a low carb realist. When left to my own devices I eat almost exclusively low carb, but with the family it is not possible all the time. I mitigate this by eating keto for all meals possible, but allowing myself cheat meals on weekends and the such. I also do body weight weight lifting (like push ups, crunches, squats, curls with free weights) twice a week and an hour of cardio twice a week as well, so this mitigates the heavier carb days. Honestly, though, even during cheat meals I focus on less carbs because I don't crave them like I used to. After doing low-carb for more than 3 years, I really have noticed a change in my preferences.

Oh, the other thing that really helps me is that I cut breakfast completely over the course of a year even before I started low-carb. I just drink black coffee with a bit of non-nutritive sweetener and a shit load of water until lunch time. I really suggest anyone trying to lose weight get a 32 or 64 oz bottle for water and drink it all the time. I typically drink over 100 ounces of water before 1pm every day and that really helps keep me from feeling hungry.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I also do intermittent fasting and drink a metric shitton of water. One thing I'd like to figure out is how to drink enough water to make me feel like I'm not thirsty/dehydrated/etc but also not have to wake up 2-3 times a night to pee.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I am kind of a low carb realist. When left to my own devices I eat almost exclusively low carb, but with the family it is not possible all the time. I mitigate this by eating keto for all meals possible, but allowing myself cheat meals on weekends and the such. I also do body weight weight lifting (like push ups, crunches, squats, curls with free weights) twice a week and an hour of cardio twice a week as well, so this mitigates the heavier carb days. Honestly, though, even during cheat meals I focus on less carbs because I don't crave them like I used to. After doing low-carb for more than 3 years, I really have noticed a change in my preferences.

Oh, the other thing that really helps me is that I cut breakfast completely over the course of a year even before I started low-carb. I just drink black coffee with a bit of non-nutritive sweetener and a shit load of water until lunch time. I really suggest anyone trying to lose weight get a 32 or 64 oz bottle for water and drink it all the time. I typically drink over 100 ounces of water before 1pm every day and that really helps keep me from feeling hungry.
This is pretty much how I eat. During the week I'm just low carb by virtue of eating healthy-minded. ON the weekends, I get my drink on and that always leads to poor dietary decisions.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
One thing I'd like to figure out is how to drink enough water to make me feel like I'm not thirsty/dehydrated/etc but also not have to wake up 2-3 times a night to pee.
Good luck with that. I drink a ton of water too and getting up and pissing just gets worse as we're getting older.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yeah, I also do intermittent fasting and drink a metric shitton of water. One thing I'd like to figure out is how to drink enough water to make me feel like I'm not thirsty/dehydrated/etc but also not have to wake up 2-3 times a night to pee.

I go to the bathroom more than a dozen times a day. My wife makes fun of me for how often I go since I'm in there so frequently. I don't usually get up in the middle of the night, but that is because I do most of my hydration during the morning and afternoon. In the evening I slow down quite a bit and don't drink very much of anything within two hours of going to sleep.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to have a semi-healthy routine during the week, but as I've moved up in my career that's gone out the windows. Enterprise sales life is really unhealthy. Happy hours and dinners and travel. I just don't have the discipline to be one of those people hitting the gym or going for a jog while traveling.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I do the intermittent fasting sort of. I keep a can of almonds on the desk. Around noon I eat a dozen or so and it does the trick till dinner. They really do kill the hunger and have few net carbs.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Never owned a roasting pan before and I'm going to pick one up this weekend. I'm assuming that any brand is okay? Same for Mortar and Pestle?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good luck with that. I drink a ton of water too and getting up and pissing just gets worse as we're getting older.

I've never had to wake up to pee, so either my body hydration is on point or my kidneys are dying and I don't know it yet!

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Never owned a roasting pan before and I'm going to pick one up this weekend. I'm assuming that any brand is okay? Same for Mortar and Pestle?
For mortar and pestle...

For roasting pan, yeah whatever. I've only had 2, I got a larger one for a turkey, it was a Kitchenaid nonstick, the nonstick shit all came off in the first use, it was pretty gross. Soemthing about the turkey fat just annihilated it. If I were to buy another today, I'd probably just go steel, something easy to clean and hard to fuck up.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've never had to wake up to pee, so either my body hydration is on point or my kidneys are dying and I don't know it yet!
I drink a lot of water, like 4+ liters a day between water, coffee, and tea. I try to stop drinking pretty early but the keto plus a medication I'm on make me dry out, so yeah most days I end up either waking up 1-2 times during the night or waking up having to pee so bad it's painful.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
73b76_118528-88cff38e-f8ce-11e3-a06e-793f22b94a46.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
spend extra $ and get a thick stainless steel roasting pan, after you're done with it in the oven you can put it on top of the stove and deglaze the yummy bits without having to switch pans.

usually you'll get a rack along with the roaster, since most everyone will be roasting a bird.

edit, cost efficient ones

you can get a lasange pan
Cuisinart 7117-14RR Lasagna Pan with Stainless Roasting Rack

or get a slightly larger one, i'd go for the larger one imo, for any turkey duties.
Cuisinart 7117-16UR Chef's Classic Stainless 16-Inch Rectangular Roaster with Rack

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Made some Char Siu a la Lanx

IMG_20191002_062904.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like