Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I did it for some holiday last year, can't remember which. Costco pork belly, it was huge, and everyone said it was so much better than turkey.

Because let's face it, every meat is better than turkey.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, my wife's mother gets a free turkey from her work every year and we just cook because...why not, but we usually make a couple other better proteins as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I never cook a turkey whole any more. If it's demanded, I'll break it down and do it in the sous vide or some other such shit. If a bird is required, I much prefer goose.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My mom is coming to visit me for Thanksgiving this year. Definitely not doing turkey.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Do a few chickens instead of turkey. Win!

The past week I've been building a temp controlled fermentation box. Basically just a plywood box lined with Styrofoam, and heated with a small ceramic element and a thermostat. Pumped to up my fermentation game!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh we still do the turkey thing. Yeah it might be boring but its traditional and the kids and everyone likes it. For xmas we go all out on a standing rib roast or some other shit depending on what I find, plus all the polock shit everyone likes and expects like fresh polish sausage, kielbasa, the sour kraut, stuffed cabbage, plus pierogies if me and the wife feel up to making them. We do the meat ones plus sour kraut and mushroom ones. I even make a batch of borscht a few days before.

But yeah thanksgiving we keep it simple, turkey, stuffing, corn, mashed potato...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Kids don't know shit. My fucking 6yo turns down pizza with crisped pepperoni.

Turkey, freshly roasted or fried, with some gravy made from pan drippings, is quite good. I bet most people rightly bemoan the inevitable leftovers. Shitty turkey sandwiches because you don't have a deli slicer. Turkey soup is boring.

I'm going to see if the wife will let me get some prepackaged turkey thighs and make Tikka Masala so there's no incongruous leftovers. We've already bastardized the holiday by having lasagna and antipasto for lunch.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My kids did the same shit when younger. The thing is once they hit like 14-15 they start to gobble up everything in front of them. Their tastes become more refined, well unless you spolied them all their lives with hot dogs and dinosaur shaped nuggets, lol. Its like when they get to teenage years a whole new world of tastes is opened up to them. Keep constantly hearing " I never knew this tasted so good!!"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ya'll know i do the asian thing and make turkey congee for leftovers.

heck i'm pretty sure last year i was in japan for thksgiving, came back and walmart still had frozen turkey for sale, i bought 2

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We've already bastardized the holiday by having lasagna and antipasto for lunch.

You have a big lunch before Thanksgiving dinner?
giphy.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We usually eat Thanksgiving dinner earlier than normal dinner, so it's mostly just snacking all morning, then big-ass early dinner. Thanksgiving is the best, man.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
you must be using inferior salt then, i always use the jew salt

No, turkey meat is just substandard. I'll be cooking a goose, which is better in every way. Chickens are also better, as are ducks. Probably shit eating crows would taste better than turkey, and would be easier to prepare well. Turkey demands exact perfection in its preparation, and even then, it's merely okay, and the leftovers are shite.

Other than that, turkey is awesome.