Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, turkey meat is just substandard. I'll be cooking a goose, which is better in every way. Chickens are also better, as are ducks. Probably shit eating crows would taste better than turkey, and would be easier to prepare well. Turkey demands exact perfection in its preparation, and even then, it's merely okay, and the leftovers are shite.

Other than that, turkey is awesome.
i think you have childhood turkey trauma of white meat so tough, you used it as your sole.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
i think you have childhood turkey trauma of white meat so tough, you used it as your sole.

Nope. I've cooked it often. Done it well. Light meat, dark meat, all turkey meat is a substandard meat.

And did you mean sole? or soul? I mean, it's nearly tough enough to use for shoes, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Nope. I've cooked it often. Done it well. Light meat, dark meat, all turkey meat is a substandard meat.

And did you mean sole? or soul? I mean, it's nearly tough enough to use for shoes, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Totally agree. I fucking hate turkey.

.... can't believe I'm spending my time talking about turkey on the internet. /suicide

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Everyone except Lanx is right. Turkey cannot rise above mediocre. Deep fried is the best way to do it that I have found, and by far the fastest, so that's good, but even the juiciest, perfectly seasoned turkey is still just a turkey. I want it for Thanksgiving just to make it feel like it's Thanksgiving, but everything else on the table (stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce) are all better than the turkey.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Everyone except Lanx is right.
Truthmeter1.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I like it, but it's more the ritual of it. I'd rather do a prime rib for sure. But I'm not wasting a nice prime rib on these ingrates. They'll get turkey and they'll like it.

Frying the turkey is good, but annoying. You have this big ass appliance, the oil costs like 30 bucks, then you have to clean it all, you can keep the oil and reuse it but wtf are you going to be frying right after thanksgiving? So in the trash it goes. Really frying a turkey is the most american thing ever. Do a substandard thing that everyone knows is substandard but most will act impressed over anyway, but make sure to waste a ton of resources doing it. murricah.

I never do anything interesting anymore for thanksgiving, I'd like to do something cool this year.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I want to do skirt steak, too, but I don't want to have to buy enough skirt steak for everyone who will be at Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll make some on the D.L. for my brothers and I.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've got nothing against turkey, though with my dad being a retired chef I don't do any of the cooking anyway.

I do like my turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches though.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I actually like the leftover turkey better than the day of. Still mediocre, either way. It's all just a conspiracy by Big Gobble, to get us to buy their turkeys, man!!!!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The things I look forward to the most are the homemade green bean casserole, mostly because I only ever had gross ass green bean casserole as a kid using canned everything, it's soul crushing, then I watched Alton Brown's stuff years back and saw it made from scratch,t ried it out, and I just love it. That and pumpkin pie. Which, by the time it's dessert time, I'm usually so stuffed I can't even get intot hat.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do you people outside of California eat tri-tips? I had never even heard of one until I moved to the Bay Area but they're everywhere there. Every bar has a tri tip sandwich on the menu and half of barbecues you go to they serve them. It's a great piece of meat but I've never really seen them anywhere else. You can't even get it reliably around here but because nobody knows what they are, I can sometimes pick them up from the bargain bin. Just last week I rescued a 5 lb tri-tip from the trash for $5.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I had never heard of tri-tip until I moved here. But it's a delicious cut of meat!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Thinking it is a west coast thing, it's a big thing in Oregon as well. Boulder is pretty big on them but not sure about the rest of Colorado.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
As long as it's moist turkey is great. But I come from a family that uses gravy as a beverage, so that might just be a great combo. But I do love a big old plate of turkey + mashed potatoes + green bean casserole.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Lots of places serving tri tip in Indiana and Illinois.

I'm doing pork belly for Thanksgiving again. It's awesome with mashed potatoes and green beans. Can make wicked delicious gravy from it, too. Takes a quarter of the time, tastes 10 times as good. We'll be having about 50 people for Thanksgiving, and someone else volunteered to bring a turkey. I told them sure, I wasn't cooking one. So I guess there will be some here.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Found out my oldest will be able to make it up from college and be able to stay for almost the entire week and she asked for brisket, bone in leg of lamb or a ribeye roast for Thanksgiving so going to be roasting or smoking one of those depending on what looks best at the butcher. She also wants to try out a turducken over the weekend and wants home made biscuits and gravy for breakfast at least one morning so going to be doing those as well. On the turduken I think I might do the cheat version where you only do the breasts from this guy Mini Turducken Recipe on the Big Green Egg Smoker . For the sides on both of them will probably do a mix of mashed potatoes, gravy from the pan drippings, roasted asparagus, roasted squash if the rabbits don't eat it before its ready and Alton Brown's cranberry recipe with some smoked bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers as an appetizer and maybe a ceaser with the dressing made from scratch. Desert will probably be a cobbler or something similar that I can put in a cast iron and toss on the coals while we eat. Just froze several pounds of some home made bacon from a smoked pork belly so lots of bacon and egg omelets/scrambles that week to look forward to as well. Rare that I get to have multiple grills going at once so goal is to do almost everything outside of breakfast eggs on the grills (ceramic, pellet and propane). Pretty psyched for this as she hasn't been able to make it home for Thanksgiving in almost 4 years.

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure mosquitoes audibly pop when tapping into Molly from the salt induced high blood pressure