Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i mean from this i learned that bisquick is the only pankcake +baking mix around, all the other aunt jamaia, hungry jack etc were pancake + WAFFLE mix. (i'm not really into this stuff)

As easy as it is to build your own mixes, I never bother buying boxed stuff anymore. Makes it easier to buy out of the bulk bins at Winco (though I know they also have a bulk pancake mix)
The only instant pancake mix! "Instant" Pancake Mix (if you're feeling end of the world-y, add powdered milk and egg and make it truly a just-add-water affair)
"Bisquick" mix. Homemade Bisquick | My Baking Addiction

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Found a place somewhat near me that sells foie gras, truffles and sturgeon caviar. Haven't had any of those but think I may get a whole lobe of duck foie gras to slice up or some flash frozen 2 oz portions to sear for Thanksgiving appetizers. Anyone that has had it have a suggestion of what to serve it on? I've seen crackers, bread, caramelized apples and even a veggie combination from chefs I like on youtube. Also, holy fuck I knew sturgeon caviar and truffles were expensive but the sticker shock on those is still freaking nuts to me. It's pretty much I can get a whole loin of prime beef tenderloin, an eighth of a pound of caviar or less than an ounce of a truffle.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Gumbo tonight was pretty good.

IMG_20191109_191215_01.jpg

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gonna try injecting, never done it before really, i was saddened when i was doing char siu pork and the marinade didn't fully penetrate in, even with 12hrs and under a vacuum.

i got one of those stainless injectors that look like needles from the 1940s

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Marinades will never penetrate meat, injected or not. Salt is the only thing that will so you can salt things ahead of time and see a benefit but spices and marinades you might as well wait until you're ready to cook.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Marinades will never penetrate meat, injected or not. Salt is the only thing that will so you can salt things ahead of time and see a benefit but spices and marinades you might as well wait until you're ready to cook.

jfc, done reading the dissertation on marination

but they did say injection will help, looks i'll be doing the stabby stabby to test out.

what should i try injecting into a whole chicken for air frying?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Whole chicken? just put aromatics into the cavity and your spice rub on the outside.

Though if you have to inject I would try hope. Inject it with hope, and maybe a sprinkle of love.

Don't forget to not let your steak rest either the next time you cook one so when you cut into it, straight off the grill, it squirts out all that "blood".

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Whole chicken? just put aromatics into the cavity and your spice rub on the outside.

Though if you have to inject I would try hope. Inject it with hope, and maybe a sprinkle of love.

Don't forget to not let your steak rest either the next time you cook one so when you cut into it, straight off the grill, it squirts out all that "blood".
yea, so i saw ppl saying to use stubbys bbq sauce... it really didn't do much, just seemed like a pool of sauce in the middle, like a tootsie roll pop.

maybe i'll try the needle that has holes on the sides next to get more coverage, but the short needle (2in) for poultry, just seemed like a puddle.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

Mildly curious about this.

Gave that a try this morning with a freshly opened preground robusta and it came out pretty good. I think if I do it again I'd halve the condensed milk as it was very dominate.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What's a good, high quality honey to get for sauces and such? The honey they carry at local grocers around here is crap.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We get some straight from the honey farmers down here. You should check out some farmer's markets, if there are any around you.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20191119_171928.jpg

gah whats with the lighting? trying this marinating needle, i made the usual amount of marinade in the instapot bowl and injected it in, marinaded a bit, then started cooking, i used that rack on the bottom so theres separation and it's not boiling. after a flip, i take it out put it in another bowl, flip it, pour the marinade from the instapot on it again, put it back and then with the bowl i can suck up more marinade and inject.

i hope i don't die from botulism or some shit with this constant reinjecting.