Gravy's Cooking Thread

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Middle of summer, and I'm craving chili really bad. Anyone have some amazing chili recipes they can link to or share. :)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I need to replace my nonstick pans, I have an old set that was given to me in the beforefore times, long ago. Anyone have a preference when it comes to nonstick?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My policy with non-stick pans was always to just get a $15 T-fal at Walmart and when it stopped being non-stick use it for target practice (they have a bullseye and everything) and buy a new one.

GUEST_48fe2413-554e-4e01-841c-4a0b7c98fed1

Haven't seen much evidence that more expensive ones are actually better or last longer but I haven't looked into it for a while. I've pretty much gotten the hang of cooking eggs in my carbon steel pan which was the only thing I used non-stick for so I haven't had one for a while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My policy with non-stick pans was always to just get a $15 T-fal at Walmart and when it stopped being non-stick use it for target practice (they have a bullseye and everything) and buy a new one.

GUEST_48fe2413-554e-4e01-841c-4a0b7c98fed1

Haven't seen much evidence that more expensive ones are actually better or last longer but I haven't looked into it for a while. I've pretty much gotten the hang of cooking eggs in my carbon steel pan which was the only thing I used non-stick for so I haven't had one for a while.
amazons number non stick pan is
e25c77c085fded4b8490ddb304913e5e.png

Utopia Kitchen 11 Inch Nonstick Frying Pan - Induction Bottom - Aluminum Alloy and Scratch Resistant Body - Riveted Handle - Dishwasher Friendly

i've been using it since november and it's still just as non sticky, which is rare, the ptfe usually wears out after 1year, anyway i like it enough that i have a second one spare, this pan likes to jump in price from 13 to 23bucks off and on.

i mention this, b/c if you notice it's a 11in pan for 15bucks... IF you see a non stick pan for 15bucks it's usually an 8in one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
eventually enameled will get crud and shit and it'll wear out. wearas you can cook on the fires of hell with a cast iron

it'll brown meat just fine, i'm sure we've all browned/seared meat in a enameld dutch oven b4 we stew.

i mean look at how le creuset says to super clean a dutch oven

they want you to fucking use tide.

also for those that havevn't seen, this fried rice video is gaining a million views a day

While that video of her boiling and straining rice is disgusting and so wrong, I remember a thai restaurant that used to dip rice(day old stuff I presume) into some sort of broth before using it in fried rice using a colander just like in that video. And I loved that fried rice. I watched them do it every time since their kitchen was open to view.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
While that video of her boiling and straining rice is disgusting and so wrong, I remember a thai restaurant that used to dip rice(day old stuff I presume) into some sort of broth before using it in fried rice using a colander just like in that video. And I loved that fried rice. I watched them do it every time since their kitchen was open to view.
probably fish sauce

thai cooking is whatever chinese food is, but substitute fish sauce/ coconut or peanuts

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I hope so since it costs as much as 10 of the ones Lanx posted.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Pretty dang good. Thicker bottom, heat distribution is excellent, balance with handle is perfect.
Those are awesome at 150 bucks on sale. My wife ruined a set a few months back and they were great.

Little drunky and she was cutting food while in the pan...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Made some shredded chicken in the instant pot. I still can't get over what was once a 6-8 hour slow cooking endeavor is now a 10 minute one.

chicken tacos.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've done hainanese chicken rice a few different ways to preserve the rice or the chicken, probably

but instead of putting water over the chicken and then boiling it, i'd boil the water to boil and blanch the chicken whole for 2mins, this "toughens" up the skin more. dunk in icecold bath to cold and then put back into boiling pot, set temp to low

i don't know if you need to cook/fry the rice ingredients before, i've done both and i'll still give it a saute, (to render the chicken fat) you really need A LOT of chicken fat to really bring out the yummy, so don't be frugal in trimming off the fat, i even cut out the entire butt and use it exclusively for the chicken rice.

i don't bother incorporating the rice into the wok, i just prefer to dump the rendered chicken fat/butt and garlic/ginger into the rice cooker.

i've seen ppl say to wash the rice and soak for 20 and then drain/dry for 20, i don't bother with that, it didn't seem to make a difference, maybe cuz i use a zoshi, idk. i do recommend only using jasmine rice, it does "smell" (more fragrant?") better and that just adds to it, and i wholey only use the water from the chicken to cook the rice.

thats my alterations to that recipe.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Made some shredded chicken in the instant pot. I still can't get over what was once a 6-8 hour slow cooking endeavor is now a 10 minute one.

View attachment 292900

Make Korean shredded chicken or Carnitas.

Take your chicken or pork shoulder and add:
  • Gochujang
  • Soy Sauce
  • Honey or brown sugar
  • sesame oil
  • garlic
  • green onion
Instant pot that shit and put it on tacos like you're doing but with Kimchi instead. Up your use of kimchi by putting it through a food processor and it becomes like a salsa.