Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Doesn't the cooking "burn" off some of the capsaicin?

Yeah I was wondering why the heat was so toned down in the finished product. Definitely had the habanero flavor and the heat definitely increased as time went on, but it was nowhere near the heat level of something like Nashville hot chicken.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but

anyone else have issues eating steak from Sizzler restaurants? I can make the bloodiest rare beef dishes at home but every friggin time I eat a Sizzler steak, I get sick to my stomach within 24 hours

this only happens with steak dishes; I can eat their burgers with no problems

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Got my hands on some foie gras this weekend. Fuck it's expensive and ... delicious as fuck.

1599503170354.png

Had to go full decadence.
Foie Gras
Scallops
Apples
Balsamic

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Bought an offset smoker today. My grandpa used to smoke meats every Sunday for football games. Best ribs I ever had. Decided to take up the mantle and carry on this tradition. Wish I could have gotten my hands on his 70s smoker that he had forever. I don’t know what my grandma did with it after he passed. Oh well.

gonna crush some ribs and chiavtettas half chicken this weekend for game day. Thinking pork shoulder next weekend. Will post results and recipes.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I did a sous vide pork shoulder for 24 hours, then a quick smoke with the memphis dust from amazingribs.com

I was pretty happy with the turn-out, though I wish the rub had more savory to it. Now I have like 5lbs of spare pork meat to eat through.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sous vide pork shoulder seems weird. Does it cook long/high enough to break down connective tissue?
Yeah, it was long enough, and I did a 3hr smoke at 225-250 (i'm not good with temp consistency).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
doing chicken and pork katsu and grilled viet pork has now required i do lots of banging

normally i just use the flat end of my knife, in this case it would be a chinese veg knife and cross hatch it.

so i just decided to get a mallet, i wanted a long ish one and all metal, no idea why but the best one was from ukraine, i hope it's not radioactive, so far my lips haven't been tingy

anyway along with this, the banging on a bamboo cutting board makes an unpleasant sound, so i might as well upgrade the board, i went "mid range"

be2c321899bf612ddfa6c50eeb88a273.png

even tho i'm finally in a home, i don't have much countertop area, so i got second biggest size i'd want (my current one is 16x12), i'll get an end grain 24x18 monster when i have more countertop space.

i'm talking about countertop space, b/c i leave the cutting board out on the counter, it's never put away.

i have no idea why thata is called a juice canal, i would use sword terms and call it a blood groove, anyway i did particularly want that (for meats and whatever, i'd still mainly be using the flat side), and i wanted a hardwood and teak seemed about the most "trouble free" since the wood has natural oils, and i guess this brand is like the all clad of teak cutting boards.

anyone tell me whats the hole for?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
doing chicken and pork katsu and grilled viet pork has now required i do lots of banging

normally i just use the flat end of my knife, in this case it would be a chinese veg knife and cross hatch it.

so i just decided to get a mallet, i wanted a long ish one and all metal, no idea why but the best one was from ukraine, i hope it's not radioactive, so far my lips haven't been tingy

anyway along with this, the banging on a bamboo cutting board makes an unpleasant sound, so i might as well upgrade the board, i went "mid range"

be2c321899bf612ddfa6c50eeb88a273.png

even tho i'm finally in a home, i don't have much countertop area, so i got second biggest size i'd want (my current one is 16x12), i'll get an end grain 24x18 monster when i have more countertop space.

i'm talking about countertop space, b/c i leave the cutting board out on the counter, it's never put away.

i have no idea why thata is called a juice canal, i would use sword terms and call it a blood groove, anyway i did particularly want that (for meats and whatever, i'd still mainly be using the flat side), and i wanted a hardwood and teak seemed about the most "trouble free" since the wood has natural oils, and i guess this brand is like the all clad of teak cutting boards.

anyone tell me whats the hole for?

Hanging.

at%2Farchive%2F7d3f9a8fa1174a00d4452471ca4e8bdcf984ab4a

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made Thai food for the first time last night and it turned out amazing. Think it took longer to navigate the SE Asian grocery store than it did to cook the meal.