Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I guess. If you like to listen to David Chang complain about how Koreans are marginalized because they cook smelly food and that it's unfair Italian food is so much more famous in America

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
David Chang is a bit of a douche, but he's remarkably talented. Not only at cooking, which he is, but at running a business. If I ever have the opportunity to eat at any of the Momofuku restaurants, you bet your ass I'm going to avail myself of that opportunity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been to the Momofuku Noodle Bar in NYC and I thought it was just OK. The steamed buns were the truth, but a lot of places get those right.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've been to the Momofuku Noodle Bar in NYC and I thought it was just OK. The steamed buns were the truth, but a lot of places get those right.

Momofuku in NYC was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. The perfection in preparation of every dish was exemplary. I loved it.

• 1Like

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya, Ko is probably my favorite tasting menu in the city. The service is more over the top at the other three Michelin star restaurants, but Ko stands out because of how unique it is vs the standard French tasting menu.

For ramen I prefer Ippudo.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ya, Ko is probably my favorite tasting menu in the city. The service is more over the top at the other three Michelin star restaurants, but Ko stands out because of how unique it is vs the standard French tasting menu.

For ramen I prefer Ippudo.

1597780126710.jpeg

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just made some ramen broth/bone broth today. Excited to try it out this weekend.

15977861781393477417180339611214.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider

Lol, I go out to dinner pretty often with clients/wife/gf and every 8-10 course french tasting menu basically goes like...

Amuse Bouche
Egg+Caviar
Vegetable
Fish
Foie Gras
Pasta
Red Meat/Duck
Dessert
Dessert

There's only so many ways you can have caviar, dover sole, black truffles, a duck breast/wagyu, etc. but the first time I ever went to Ko at the old location on 2nd Avenue blew my mind with the shaved frozen foie gras.

If you're in it for over the top service, I think Daniel is the best vs. Le Bernardin, Per Se or EMP.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
WTF does this have to do with cooking? There's a thread for talking about pretentious restaurant food.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pass on French, thanks. Style over substance.

I thought the same until I actually went to France and that's the best food I've ever had. But I never really had much French cuisine prior with the exception of a couple Michelin restaurants. Now I make French sauces all the time at home. Easiest way to pep up your veggie game is with some beurre blanc.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought the same until I actually went to France and that's the best food I've ever had. But I never really had much French cuisine prior with the exception of a couple Michelin restaurants. Now I make French sauces all the time at home. Easiest way to pep up your veggie game is with some beurre blanc.

That's fair. Being immersed in the environment is very different. My only exposure is America's interpretation of French. When we went to Italy last year the food was way better than any Italian restaurant in the states.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Only ever used habaneros in chili before but I tried a Chef John recipe last night. This was fucking fantastic and the recipe steps can be replicated for so many flavor profiles.

Chopped up habanero with garlic and salt. Grinded it into a paste.

20200819_101956.jpg

Added in hot sauce and egg to make a batter.

20200819_102418.jpg

Floured up some chicken and dredged it in that then pan fried after marinating a few hours. Not nearly as spicy as I expected, but it was full of flavor.

20200819_184539.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users