Gravy's Cooking Thread

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Just got my very first select batch of Hatch chile delivered today!

One on the left is a semi hot 6-4 cultivar (peak is probably around 6,000 SHU) and the one on the right is an experimental crossbreed of Luci and Escondida (possibly some areas around 20,000 SHU).

Going to do a small backyard roast tomorrow before I get in a couple 25lb boxes next week to make for the neighborhood.

I miss NM this time of year. Whole state smells like this stuff.

RodaV88.jpg

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Deathwing Deathwing

Yo my dude! I'm going to need some further explanation on why you have called one the most delicious crops on God's Green Earth garbage!

NM chile is divine sir.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So on a whim I bought a 4H lamb and just got the meat yesterday. I've never eaten lamb before but I have a couple of chops defrosting for dinner tonight. Anyone here eat lamb or have any good tips or recipes for it?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Treat it like a beef steak in the way you cook it. I've usually had chops in the oven, but red = win. Don't over cook.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I eat quite a bit of lamb (made lamb risotto last night) and I would agree to mostly treat it like beef. Do a long braise for some of the tougher cuts, braised lamb is fantastic. Lamb is great with all sorts of fall veggies, especially cabbage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Made a couple of loin chops last night. Just seasoned them with salt and pepper and seared in a cast iron pan like a steak to medium rare. They were great.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll buy a lamb rack, cut it into individual pieces, and believe it or not - use the pressure cooker. They get done in less than 10 min and maintain a good level of red.

I don't make the cauliflower crap.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Problem with this shit is by the time you go out to get the ingredients, because most of these things people dont just have lying around at home, youre better off going to your favorite local thai place and spending the $10-$12 for the real thing.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Problem with this shit is by the time you go out to get the ingredients, because most of these things people dont just have lying around at home, youre better off going to your favorite local thai place and spending the $10-$12 for the real thing.

I'm lucky enough to have a SE Asian market within walking distance. I went and bought all sorts of shit and it came out to $12. That was enough for a lot of Thai cooking. I bought the curry paste premade, but it comes in a decent-sized container. It'll take me a while to get through it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have a few stores around me, but I just dont have the time to go out of my way to buy shit just to make a dish or two. Now if my kroger had that shit it would be amazing. Besides the key to good wok cooking is the high BTU burners they have (80K-100K) which you just cannot match at home without a dedicated wok burner.

I still make some basic Asian form time to time, and its OK, but Id rather just spend the money and get a carry out for this shit. Besides, the thai place I have like 5 min from my house is fucking amazing and I like to support local places like that.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Thai food typically isn't cooked at extremely high temperatures. It would burn the curry paste.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I have a few stores around me, but I just dont have the time to go out of my way to buy shit just to make a dish or two. Now if my kroger had that shit it would be amazing. Besides the key to good wok cooking is the high BTU burners they have (80K-100K) which you just cannot match at home without a dedicated wok burner.

I still make some basic Asian form time to time, and its OK, but Id rather just spend the money and get a carry out for this shit. Besides, the thai place I have like 5 min from my house is fucking amazing and I like to support local places like that.

i'm very happy with my induction wok, in fact i just bought another wok for it, i was using a 12in and i just got a 14in (still seasoning it)

in hindsight, the 14in wok is really way too huge, but it "flips" food real good