Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
i'm very happy with my induction wok, in fact i just bought another wok for it, i was using a 12in and i just got a 14in (still seasoning it)

in hindsight, the 14in wok is really way too huge, but it "flips" food real good

Do you have a flat-bottomed wok or one of those special induction hot-plates designed for them? Induction is really ideal for woks, you get super high heat very quickly without so much wasted energy, and if you can get the coils up the side a little (like those special hot-plates) then you would also get really good heat all round. I use carbon steel pans for everything and induction is amazing with them.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Do you have a flat-bottomed wok or one of those special induction hot-plates designed for them? Induction is really ideal for woks, you get super high heat very quickly without so much wasted energy, and if you can get the coils up the side a little (like those special hot-plates) then you would also get really good heat all round. I use carbon steel pans for everything and induction is amazing with them.
i specifically went out to get the round bottom induction, no way was i gonna be a pleb and use a flat bottom

this one i got, doesnt seem to be sold from amazon or anywhere anymore
72e48a50df0bbea500158ee6e1f1a85d.png

the wok it came with was garbage tho, i had to order new woks and since i didn't have a chinatown near me, i just took a chance, and they turned out well.

i was trying to plan out some way to get one of those super propane burners on grill, but it wasn't feasable as i really don't like going in my backyard to cook, and induction seemed like a good alternative (baring installing super btu in house which i won't do) to indoor, and there were options to have a round bottom.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Just a heads up and YMMV big time but my local Target and Walmart were blowing out all their grills. Got a 4 burner blackstone flat top grill for under $200 and it is basically a 36inch giant cast iron pan powered by propane. You need to season it like a wok/carbon steel pan before use and it took about an hour and 4 applications of oil to get it from silver to solid black. So far have only done burger sliders with home style type thick fries and bacon (bacon first than potatoes and sliders right into the bacon fat) followed by browning some pretzel buns right on it. Plan on pancakes with sausage, hash browns and eggs tomorrow for breakfast and skirt steak fajitas with peppers/onions tomorrow and some hibachi style fried rice with chicken and shrimp on Sunday.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just a heads up and YMMV big time but my local Target and Walmart were blowing out all their grills. Got a 4 burner blackstone flat top grill for under $200 and it is basically a 36inch giant cast iron pan powered by propane. You need to season it like a wok/carbon steel pan before use and it took about an hour and 4 applications of oil to get it from silver to solid black. So far have only done burger sliders with home style type thick fries and bacon (bacon first than potatoes and sliders right into the bacon fat) followed by browning some pretzel buns right on it. Plan on pancakes with sausage, hash browns and eggs tomorrow for breakfast and skirt steak fajitas with peppers/onions tomorrow and some hibachi style fried rice with chicken and shrimp on Sunday.
Fucking love mine, though I learned I don't want to season it with Bacon grease and will stick to vegetable oils.

Burgers, sausages, pancakes, hashbrowns are all great on it.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Love me some braised short ribs. Only thing I'd suggest is some kind of pickled veggie or slaw to go with it to cut the fat a bit.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Literally was just talking about this today that I want a propane flat top grill!!

Just bought a Zujirushi rice cooker. I feel like Lanx Lanx would be proud. Made sure to get the one made in Japan vs China.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a $30 rice cooker and never had any sort of issue with it. Probably my most used kitchen appliance too.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Can't convince the wife we need one, even though my daughter would eat only rice if she were given an option... Might just gift myself one for Christmas like I did with the Instant Pot.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Can't convince the wife we need one, even though my daughter would eat only rice if she were given an option... Might just gift myself one for Christmas like I did with the Instant Pot.
Cook some jasmine rice to fill up the kitchen, bitches love the smell of jasmine.

If your jasmine rice has an elephant on the bag, you doin aight

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx , this Wok was recommended in a Youtube channel. This a good one? has lots of reviews.

CAn you post a direct link cant see on phone and no computer

Nvm found it, is there a reason you need it flat bottom? If you have gas you can get away with having a round bottom and a wok ring

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
CAn you post a direct link cant see on phone and no computer

Nvm found it, is there a reason you need it flat bottom? If you have gas you can get away with having a round bottom and a wok ring
We have gas very soon. Our remodel is almost done.