Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
PP
We have gas very soon. Our remodel is almost done.
I would hughlr recoomend cooking with a round botton wok if possible, like i would say no round bottom, dont even bother imo

A wok ring is a few bucjs and im hapoy with the woks i git from amazon, theyare raw likw you still see the hammer marks, but light as shit, 14 in wok is lighter than my 12in tri ply all clad emeril.

If you want i can give you links to see what im talkin about, phone is harder and slower for me is all

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just a heads up and YMMV big time but my local Target and Walmart were blowing out all their grills. Got a 4 burner blackstone flat top grill for under $200 and it is basically a 36inch giant cast iron pan powered by propane. You need to season it like a wok/carbon steel pan before use and it took about an hour and 4 applications of oil to get it from silver to solid black. So far have only done burger sliders with home style type thick fries and bacon (bacon first than potatoes and sliders right into the bacon fat) followed by browning some pretzel buns right on it. Plan on pancakes with sausage, hash browns and eggs tomorrow for breakfast and skirt steak fajitas with peppers/onions tomorrow and some hibachi style fried rice with chicken and shrimp on Sunday.
Late to the party, but which one of these did you end up getting? I'd love a huge one that could be taken on camping trips.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Late to the party, but which one of these did you end up getting? I'd love a huge one that could be taken on camping trips.
I ended up with a Blackstone and I'm pretty happy with it. Used it almost exclusivly for cooking since getting it and it's large enough to allow two adults to work half of it without getting in each others way. Have done chicken, burgers (regular and sliders), ribeyes (bone in and boneless), brauts, skirt steak, salmon, shrimp, veggies (onions and peppers mainly but tossed some aspargus on once as well), potatoes, bacon, country sausage, chorizo, fried rice, pancakes, eggs (scrambled for the fried rice/chorizo and over easy for some burgers) and everything has come out great so far. It's also really easy to clean up after which is awesome. I don't think the blackstone would be great for camping as the legs don't fold up but Home Depot's brand (forgot name) and Lowe's brand (Rhino) I believe did. I really liked the Rhino version with how the grill cover folds out to be where you can place stuff while cooking. That one would probably be the most compact as well because of that as the side arm things on the blackstone are monstrous which is great for the home but would be a pain loading into a camper or truck.

Crone

I ended up with a Blackstone and I'm pretty happy with it. Used it almost exclusivly for cooking since getting it and it's large enough to allow two adults to work half of it without getting in each others way. Have done chicken, burgers (regular and sliders), ribeyes (bone in and boneless), brauts, skirt steak, salmon, shrimp, veggies (onions and peppers mainly but tossed some aspargus on once as well), potatoes, bacon, country sausage, chorizo, fried rice, pancakes, eggs (scrambled for the fried rice/chorizo and over easy for some burgers) and everything has come out great so far. It's also really easy to clean up after which is awesome. I don't think the blackstone would be great for camping as the legs don't fold up but Home Depot's brand (forgot name) and Lowe's brand (Rhino) I believe did. I really liked the Rhino version with how the grill cover folds out to be where you can place stuff while cooking. That one would probably be the most compact as well because of that as the side arm things on the blackstone are monstrous which is great for the home but would be a pain loading into a camper or truck.
Thanks for the tips!

Crone

PP
I would hughlr recoomend cooking with a round botton wok if possible, like i would say no round bottom, dont even bother imo

A wok ring is a few bucjs and im hapoy with the woks i git from amazon, theyare raw likw you still see the hammer marks, but light as shit, 14 in wok is lighter than my 12in tri ply all clad emeril.

If you want i can give you links to see what im talkin about, phone is harder and slower for me is all

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Wok-Traditional-Hammered-731W88/dp/B00PUZT9MU/

How's that one Lanx Lanx ? Then can get a ring so it works on my gas stove?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Wok-Traditional-Hammered-731W88/dp/B00PUZT9MU/

How's that one Lanx Lanx ? Then can get a ring so it works on my gas stove?
that looks cool

i also have a new way of seasoning the wok. of course when you first get it, scrub it with soap to get off the coating.

1. 2 table spoons of canola oil and stir fry onions/ garlic to black (you might want to turn on the fan), while swishing it around, (do this 2 or three times)

usually i'd do the, burn on one side w/ oil till it smokes and metal gets black, but thats annoying, i find just cooking w/ onions/garlic to be a good indicator (cuz once they turn black, it's done)

why onions and garlic? traditional asian seasoning, obviously i'd put in your getting "old" veggies heh.

btw i wanted to elaborate that the round wok is a real new way to cook, you get "swish" around the food and "shove" up the food that is done , and then once you learn to flip it... oh beautiful.

also the "helper handle" is good if youre not used to a wok, it doesn't add barely any weight, and when you need it, it's good (it's mainly used to pour your food out with two hands, not for cooking)

you can use anything to cook with it, remember it's carbon steel, so it don't matter what you use, you won't be scraping off any coating, so a tradional wok spatulal would work fine, you can also use a wok ladle to cook, but honestly i only found use in that, in the restaurant cuz you have so many open containers of sauces to "spoon" in the sauce to cook with, most home chefs with a wok will just use a wok spatula, i'm just giving you options.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Texas Twinkies for football Saturday.

PXL_20201003_205559168.jpg
PXL_20201003_210625826.jpg
PXL_20201003_215638247.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I had never heard this amazing looking concoction. What exactly is in the middle?
Mine have cream cheese, monterey jack shredded cheese, hot breakfast sausage, garlic powder, and onion powder.

I modified the recipe from this video:

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I like to smoke mine for an hour or so at 200 than either finish in the oven or crank the smoker up to 400 depending on the time of the year until the bacon is nice and crispy. Get a nice smokey taste in the cheese itself. I can't remember where I saw this, might of been this thread a few years back but they come out great. If you smoked a brisket recently can dice up some of it in the cream cheese mix as well.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
After seeing how you heathens cook steak, I hope Biden wins

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd never put ketchup on steak.

That's what BBQ sauce is for.

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Cut a slice in the steak to create a pocket, fill it with ketchup and marinate overnight in a baggie 1/4 full with ketchup.

Cook in the oven at 350 for 40 min.

This really infuse the meat with all the goodness.

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users