Gravy's Cooking Thread

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
9716D2C2-2E3A-4B6A-98C7-FAB33D45BB98.jpegE4B1F44E-C3DC-4181-B78E-EAE357664F98.jpegCECB3022-E83C-4EEF-9CF9-2245983C2FEB.jpegDDC5DD68-6B69-484F-BDFF-823D1E89FCDE.jpeg24FE6836-B63F-45C1-85C1-F36B97D1BB49.jpeg
Tried out that recipe last Sunday and it was probably the most amazing turkey I’ve ever had. New one is stuffed with sausage and apples instead of hash browns and bacon.

Also Lanx Lanx , what you think of this set? I got one years ago as a grooms men gift, and it's been my favorite knife ever since.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 320064View attachment 320065View attachment 320066View attachment 320067View attachment 320068
Tried out that recipe last Sunday and it was probably the most amazing turkey I’ve ever had. New one is stuffed with sausage and apples instead of hash browns and bacon.

Also Lanx Lanx , what you think of this set? I got one years ago as a grooms men gift, and it's been my favorite knife ever since.

i've used em, i mean theyre just japanese henkles heh, but i know the sg2's stay sharp cuz when i used at friends places, its still sharp enough and they don't do shit with their knives.

the artisan has that weird hump, idk, the ones i used were the kaizen just the regular round pakkawood handle, i actually prefer a western grip myself.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hey, my wife has a minor health thing right now and is recommended to have a mostly liquid diet for a little while. Anyone have really good smoothy recipes? Something that might replace a meal?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Hey, my wife has a minor health thing right now and is recommended to have a mostly liquid diet for a little while. Anyone have really good smoothy recipes? Something that might replace a meal?
Allergic/medical to anything? A normal brew of things is super easy. The really good things dont taste great

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No allergies, can eat anything.

We make smoothies somewhat frequently simply because they're tasty and healthy.

Frozen mixed berries (we get a big bag from Costco), plain Greek yogurt, bit of milk or fruit juice, banana, and a scoop of protein powder (we just get vanilla). The frozen berries give it the perfect texture. Adjusting volumes of things will make it sweeter or more tart.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Frozen mixed berries (we get a big bag from Costco), plain Greek yogurt, bit of milk or fruit juice, banana, and a scoop of protein powder (we just get vanilla). The frozen berries give it the perfect texture. Adjusting volumes of things will make it sweeter or more tart.

The protein powder doesn't ruin it?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Probably depends on the quality of the particular product, but I haven't had a problem with it. Powdered peanut butter works pretty good for smoothies too.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I know this is not the thread for it, but I urge you to do some more research about how healthy fruit smoothies actually are for you, particularly in regards to sugar content.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I would avoid fruit smoothies if you are looking for meal replacement especially.

My go to is:

Big handful of spinach
1 serving protein powder (I have been using this since it was on sale at Costco last month: https://www.vitalproteins.com/products/collagen-peptides)
1 tablespoon of almond butter (you could omit this, or use any other nut butter if you wanted)
2 cups almond milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
half an avocado or like a splash of MCT oil/coconut oil

I like mine cold so I put some crushed ice in there as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I know this is not the thread for it, but I urge you to do some more research about how healthy fruit smoothies actually are for you, particularly in regards to sugar content.

I think this is the thread for it! I know there is a lot of natural sugar in fruit smoothies, but it's not unhealthy, is it? There are good things in fruit, too.

Yeah I would avoid fruit smoothies if you are looking for meal replacement especially.

My go to is:

Big handful of spinach
1 serving protein powder (I have been using this since it was on sale at Costco last month: https://www.vitalproteins.com/products/collagen-peptides)
1 tablespoon of almond butter (you could omit this, or use any other nut butter if you wanted)
2 cups almond milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
half an avocado or like a splash of MCT oil/coconut oil

I like mine cold so I put some crushed ice in there as well.

So I made something similar to this tonight. A couple of questions: wouldn't it be great if spinach didn't adjust the colour so much? Green/grey is not all that appealing. Also, why does everyone insist almond milk (or variety) is better than normal milk? Does it help the texture? Will I get superhero powers from non cow milk?

How much of an impact do the seeds have on texture?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I think this is the thread for it! I know there is a lot of natural sugar in fruit smoothies, but it's not unhealthy, is it? There are good things in fruit, too.

So I made something similar to this tonight. A couple of questions: wouldn't it be great if spinach didn't adjust the colour so much? Green/grey is not all that appealing. Also, why does everyone insist almond milk (or variety) is better than normal milk? Does it help the texture? Will I get superhero powers from non cow milk?

Yes, there are good things in some fruits (bananas are delicious but everything they offer can be found with better bioavailability in other, healthier sources) but they are also full of sugar and things like smoothies allow you to eat far more sugar far quicker than you would eating the fruit by itself. Again, I'll leave this to the other thread, but the health benefits of fruit juice/smoothies has been vastly overstated due to where they were placed on the Food Pyramid back in the day.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Regular milk probably is fine? My wife always just buys almond milk for smoothies so I use it. Not sure why yours are more gray than green, mine are pretty green usually.
Seeds don't really blend but I don't really notice them, they are small so its not like your sucking up bubble tea sized blobs or tapioca or whatever.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Regular milk probably is fine? My wife always just buys almond milk for smoothies so I use it. Not sure why yours are more gray than green, mine are pretty green usually.
Seeds don't really blend but I don't really notice them, they are small so its not like your sucking up bubble tea sized blobs or tapioca or whatever.
chia can blow up / release a large amount of gel if you let them soak, so I imagine fresh smoothy vs one made last night is going to have a bit of a texture difference depending on your volume of chia.

20190905-delish-chiapudding-ehg-1248-jpg-1569007244.jpg

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I don't eat much other sugar. I know the values and I consume about 1/5th what the regular person does per day/year. Natural sugars from some berries is not even remotely the same as corn syrup or processed sugar.

Agree with you that the food pyramid we all grew up with is bogus. Our diet is about 50% veg, 30% legumes and beans, 10% fruit, 10% fish/eggs/cheese/random bread or pasta and we hit the gym 3/4 times weekly. We do a decent job.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna try kimichi specific ferment containers, they say it has a 10% "earthenware" in it to give it more flavor, has high reviews, i'll see how it tastes in 2weeks

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking of buying a friend something like an Anova for sous vide. Is there any consensus on what brand/model is best?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
gonna try kimichi specific ferment containers, they say it has a 10% "earthenware" in it to give it more flavor, has high reviews, i'll see how it tastes in 2weeks

It is pretty unlikely that the earthenware makes a difference when it comes to taste, especially for a more quick ferment recipe like kimchi.

It may help a little with temperature regulation (more mass), and if unglazed some of the microbes might be harbor in the clay to inoculate new batches. But you can always inoculate by putting some of the old ferment in the new one.

I've fermented in glass, glazed ceramic, and plastic and don't think there is any difference from the vessel. However, i am tempted to get a fermenting croc mostly for aesthetic reasons. They look cool and you can keep them out since they block sunlight.