Gravy's Cooking Thread

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So one of the few things I miss, since moving out of California, is that Farmer John hotdogs aren't sold out here (Utah).

My favs were specifically the jumbo 100% beef franks.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement brand?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So one of the few things I miss, since moving out of California, is that Farmer John hotdogs aren't sold out here (Utah).

i always get sabrett dogs
333c1c2c0e5f94c7b6f02e20ed951d90.png

these are the same dogs you get from nyc push carts

as opposed to being new york and getting nathans dogs from the package, doesn't taste the same.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

They are a bit bigger than Farmer John but the Kirkland brand ones at Costco are pretty damn good. Alternatively, if you have a local butcher chances are they will have some amazing hot dogs but usually at 2x-3x the cost of a store brand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm a fan of Hebrew National. They have a jumbo dog but they're not always available at my grocery stores.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i just posted in the cooking thread that this recently bowed and split on me, barely 3months old
179fe2d2decc3b6763f789a452003886.png

before this i was using a smaller bamboo cutting board that had zero issues

i'm now getting this as a replacement
93a6d3810bc13141c3a762f7f8f5a28e.png

just getting end grain so i don't see bowing,

maybe the teak wood was a problem, idk i never leave the cutting board in water, it's always on the counter and wiped down or gets a quick wash when handling raws.

i'll see how this acacia wood does

hell if this sucks i'll back to fucking bamboo

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've had a cutting board that looks like this that I got at Ikea in 1996 and it has never had any issue and has had a heck of a lot of use.

I recommend end cut cutting boards. I'm actually looking to make one just for shits and giggles. Get maple if you can.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've had a cutting board that looks like this that I got at Ikea in 1996 and it has never had any issue and has had a heck of a lot of use.

I recommend end cut cutting boards. I'm actually looking to make one just for shits and giggles. Get maple if you can.
yea when i find myself a proper chinatown i'll get me an ironwood chinese chopping board
d2b53b090af415f92720cb6775e31e3b.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh what an upgrade
20210127_002629.jpg

my old cutting board still has that little split in the middle i'll get around to fixing, thats a 10in chef knife i have on there and a 3in pearing knife on the side.

you know, it "sounds" better, the teak cutting board was a "thonk thonk thonk" this one is a "thud thud thud"

even tho it's a 10lb thic boy, it still moves around, but i put a sheet of the foam liner underneath it to keep it from slipping. (i hate those rubber feet)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh what an upgrade
View attachment 331331

my old cutting board still has that little split in the middle i'll get around to fixing, thats a 10in chef knife i have on there and a 3in pearing knife on the side.

you know, it "sounds" better, the teak cutting board was a "thonk thonk thonk" this one is a "thud thud thud"

even tho it's a 10lb thic boy, it still moves around, but i put a sheet of the foam liner underneath it to keep it from slipping. (i hate those rubber feet)
damp hand towel folded and put underneath with just a hair of overlap for the win. Stops the movement, deadens the noise, soaks up random juice drips

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
i'm afraid damp anything will be moldy?

Pick it up and clean both sides of the board and the towel after you're done using it every time. Store the board dry and on its side. Never an issue with mold.

Edit: nice looking board, though. Maple?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pick it up and clean both sides of the board and the towel after you're done using it every time. Store the board dry and on its side. Never an issue with mold.

Edit: nice looking board, though. Maple?
acacia

naw with a huge board like that, i just leave it out on the counter, since it also looks good too

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
acacia

naw with a huge board like that, i just leave it out on the counter, since it also looks good too

Then rubber feet are your answer - gets it up off the counter a bit so liquid never makes the bottom wet. Why do you hate the rubber feet? Are you racist?

wat?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Then rubber feet are your answer - gets it up off the counter a bit so liquid never makes the bottom wet. Why do you hate the rubber feet? Are you racist?

wat?
it gets in the way of washing and feels gummy after a few times, thats why i like to use the large sticky mat

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i think i wanna use a saucepan for quick 1quart soups, does anyone have a favorite?

do the pour spouts work?

i'm thinking of this one
053338e1babefd0f9a712c9ed8f4d89d.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've never had a saucepan with a spout. I'm dubious, but no experience with it here. That's a nice looking pan, though.
i decided to go with this one instead
538d2444c59af4d0323c162d59160d64.png

reviews says that, that one has weird stainless issues and ppl don't like spouts, instead i've seen ppl like protrude "lips"

this one is the restaurant type no frills sauce pan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users