Gravy's Cooking Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The recent duck talk made me snag a whole one when I saw it at Costco. Anyone have a good whole duck recipe? I normally just pierce the skin a bit, salt it overnight, rub down in garlic, season under the skin and in the cavit, roast on an elevated rack to the halfway point, take out some of the rendered fat to toss on fingerling potatoes than finish them together. It's pretty good but feel it could be better but not really sure with the search results so far i.e. not sure about boiling it before roasting as most seem to suggest.

You might try spatchcocking, I've never done it with duck (legs are so cheap I usually just buy them) but I've had great results with every other bird I've done it with. It will cook much faster and you can put the vegetables right under it to catch all the fat, so it is probably simpler to cook as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I coulda swore I saw a jamie oliver vid on spatchcock'd duck right on the oven grill (with pan of veg below to catch the drippings) but all I'm seeing for him and duck is this:

Still look up roast chick and roast duck recipes, note the time and temp dif, then apply the dif to a spatchcock'd chick recipe; you should be golden.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just went and got a "steam pan" instead
28ee5b34ccd9438fb2d0e38460b23d2f.png

i guess this is the same type you use for buffets, update international only had aluminum roaster pans and i want the option to deglaze, so that requires stainless steel

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can deglaze in non stick if you use the right tool. I have a great roasting pan that has a rack - that's important if you're going to cook any kind of bird in it.

Edit: now that I think about it, I used to have a non-stick one. Now I have this one:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You can deglaze in non stick if you use the right tool. I have a great roasting pan that has a rack - that's important if you're going to cook any kind of bird in it.

Edit: now that I think about it, I used to have a non-stick one. Now I have this one:

yea stainless all the way, don't need a rack, just lay the spatchcok bird on top of whatever veggies you have laying around

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Also, if you're shooting for crispy bits, spatchcock the bird, skip the veg, preheat pan AND a foil covered brick/concrete paver in the oven. then carefully take pan out, add bird, crush with paver, replace in oven. Very fast cook, contact cooking on both sides for maximum crispy bits.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also, if you're shooting for crispy bits, spatchcock the bird, skip the veg, preheat pan AND a foil covered brick/concrete paver in the oven. then carefully take pan out, add bird, crush with paver, replace in oven. Very fast cook, contact cooking on both sides for maximum crispy bits.
you can just use another cast iron pan and put it on top of the bird and put the heavy bricks on there, instead of individually wrapping each brick... too much work.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm gonna make this tonight

Welp

I recommend

Only thing I wouldn't bother doing is fire roasting with the cheese inside. It's really not needed since you chop them all up and heat them in a pan anyways. Just fire the peppers on their own.

IMG_20210219_195101_514.jpgIMG_20210219_195101_632.jpgIMG_20210219_195101_578.jpgIMG_20210219_195101_610.jpg

I served them with BBQ chicken thighs that were marinating in lime, cilantro, onion, garlic, and tequila.

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Didn't watch the video. Is the answer an oven?
these covid test kitchens have been super ghetto, i haven't watched a video since they got of the "test kitchen", i mean it's really just two bitches talking about shit they did previously

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
got my roaster pan, wth amazon!

who puts the god damn stickers on the side of the pan thats important!, not even a tiny sticker, fucking 5x5!

little bit of wd40