Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I like the vodka pie crust recipe that has both butter and shortening ok...I may use lard instead of crisco if I have it in the pantry....but the crust itself is really forgiving.
I never use a food processor even though some recipes call for its use. My pastry blender or just my fingers and a fork have always served just fine.
I have tried many recipes over my lifetime and I really like that one in both sweet or savory applications.
I will however give the hot water recipe a go!

I'm intrigued by the voda pie crust, I'll have to check it out.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for any hand pie.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm intrigued by the voda pie crust, I'll have to check it out.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for any hand pie.

It basically substitutes some of the water for vodka. It helps reduce the gluten produced when you mix the dough and the alcohol bakes out and doesn't affect the taste.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It basically substitutes some of the water for vodka. It helps reduce the gluten produced when you mix the dough and the alcohol bakes out and doesn't affect the taste.

Interesting.

I always have the best results when I use lard in pie crust, shortening just doesn't do as good a job. Anyone else?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Shrimp De Jonghe and some Alfredo.

20210321_182954.jpg

20210321_180627.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so lets see what amazon shopping day will reveal

gonna test this out when it comes
d60e87a180bf0b62a2b4332e34565510.png

its said to hold 1/2 a cup of liquids, i wanted a small, thin poly carb "carving" board with a concave, all these other ways had fucking channels that look like a maze, i only want it for when i cut up my roast chickens, and put it away fast. i want it thin and light cuz i'll put it over my current 20lb cutting board, cuz that cutting board ain't moving for shit

i'm seasoning this fry pan right now
fd695a8bf75ec022b4fad6fe9bdc6a02.png

this brand and de buyer are the highest rated, i have a nice small de buyer crepe pan i use for eggs (that i've been sometimes using to cook other stuff with...) so i thought i'd finally get a carbon steel fry pan when i need it, i still do most of my cooking on wok tho, but my main requirement for this pan was that it has no exposed rivets! (this is sanded off)

what are you guys using for fridge storage? i've been using a few of these for a while
e7423a6d645e42e0d05630d8c6e03806.png

they keep veggies greener, my problem is that i can't see whats "behind" it, so depth is now my issue

so i'm thinking of trying containers that are more flat and use the whole depth of the fridge
c06c662c7637068f0159880105d4ffc2.png

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You ain't sticking that head of lettuce in one of those flatpacks. I've got a mishmash of reused quart and pint yogurt/butter containers, Round Pyrex, square Pyrex, your ever present 6 different sizes metal bowl set, and a couple of restaurant quality Cambro 6 qrt round storages.

If it all caught fire and had to be replaced, I'd probably go with square Cambor's in far fewer (but still a couple different) qrt'ages. heavy duty flexible plastic, unified sizing, made to fit lids that still fit multiple sizes

1616478423969.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I use all pyrex glass stuff. You can microwave it and it comes out of the dishwasher looking perfect where the plastic always gets shitty after a while and turns red if you put chili in it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
yes, i know i'm in some kind of kitchen reorg thing

thoughts on a ceiling pot rack?
68c5268b6e656e02492708865d391b87.png

i don't have an island, so i thought it'd be useless, but i might be moving soon so i might as well just test it out, i also hang my chef knives

i'm not afraid of it falling or nothing, i know where my joists are so easy peasy.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
yes, i know i'm in some kind of kitchen reorg thing

thoughts on a ceiling pot rack?
68c5268b6e656e02492708865d391b87.png

i don't have an island, so i thought it'd be useless, but i might be moving soon so i might as well just test it out, i also hang my chef knives

i'm not afraid of it falling or nothing, i know where my joists are so easy peasy.
We had one in our first house and loved it. My wife cooks a lot and it made for less bending which generally is our biggest complaint of most kitchens layouts. The drawback for most people is that if you don't cook often your stuff will get dusty.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We had one in our first house and loved it. My wife cooks a lot and it made for less bending which generally is our biggest complaint of most kitchens layouts. The drawback for most people is that if you don't cook often your stuff will get dusty.
did you store lids and shit on the shelf or just big pots?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
That's one of the benefits, the lids went under the stove. Plenty of room there since no pans were down there. I know someone is going to ding me because lids required bending. Under the stove isn't awkward.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have the wall mounted version.

91dKZF-CYEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I love it. Pots and pans are easy to get and it frees up a lot of cabinet space. I was concerned because I couldn't hit studs with it where I wanted to mount it but I got some sheet rock anchors that are rated for 250 lbs each and even with 5 cast iron pans, a dutch oven, and 4 other random pots on it it's solid as a rock.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I have the wall mounted version.

91dKZF-CYEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I love it. Pots and pans are easy to get and it frees up a lot of cabinet space. I was concerned because I couldn't hit studs with it where I wanted to mount it but I got some sheet rock anchors that are rated for 250 lbs each and even with 5 cast iron pans, a dutch oven, and 4 other random pots on it it's solid as a rock.
i was thinking about wall, but my current place has zero wall space, so i just went with the ceiling, it'd be more universal, plus i can patch it easier when i leave since i still left the horrible popcorn coating in the kitchen.

i'm guessing you all that keep the pots and pans out in the open invest in a few bottles of bar keepers friend?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
i was thinking about wall, but my current place has zero wall space, so i just went with the ceiling, it'd be more universal, plus i can patch it easier when i leave since i still left the horrible popcorn coating in the kitchen.

i'm guessing you all that keep the pots and pans out in the open invest in a few bottles of bar keepers friend?
Uhh, popcorn ceiling? How old is this place? You might want to get that looked at, especially if you are putting stuff that will handle your food underneath it. Unless asbestos also works like MSG?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Uhh, popcorn ceiling? How old is this place? You might want to get that looked at, especially if you are putting stuff that will handle your food underneath it. Unless asbestos also works like MSG?
late 90s, my neighbors still have it, so i didn't bother, i only tested out removing the closet portion and it was more than i want to handle.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If it's from the 90s there's no asbestos at least. I didn't know there was any that new. I took it out of my house last year but it was a huge mess.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so since i've decided to do the ceiling hang pot rack, i guess i should clean my stainless, i mean it's clean i can eat off it just fine (i only use stainless for tomato stuff now anyway), but its got dark spots, so bar keepers friend time.

along with that i've been thinking about re-seasoning all my carbon/cast irons

my goto method has been veggie shortening

i've been trying this method, potato skins/salt/oil

it's also the method that test kitchen likes

then theres just bringing canola oil past the smoke point and turning it black, thats what i use for my wok.

now i see ppl want to use flaxseed oil, b/c the smoke point is insanely stupidly low at 225

so i guess what i'm saying is, i'm gonna take bar keepers friend to all my irons and trying all these seasoning methods.