Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I too have rage when there's a bigass sticker on something I bought that won't come off. Obviously there are stickers that are easy to remove so it's just like a big fuck you when they put one on that you have to scrape or dissolve off of there.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I too have rage when there's a bigass sticker on something I bought that won't come off. Obviously there are stickers that are easy to remove so it's just like a big fuck you when they put one on that you have to scrape or dissolve off of there.

Most of the time just warming it up a bit will loosen the adhesive. Might have to scrape some of that off depending if it comes off with the sticker though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Isopropyl alcohol works great on most adhesives too if there's some residue

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Isopropyl alcohol works great on most adhesives too if there's some residue
these are amazon fuck you stickers, had to use wd40

(since it was cooking pan i tried the most non toxic stuff first... that i just went to wd40 says that much heh)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
been playing around with these granite bowls
2b17aefee6dad070a695b26579b0853a.png

i have clay pots and the taste is different, so for for soondue bu and bimbimbap it tastes different to better. i really shouldn't use it for soondubu cuz it's like porus and it kinda "sucks" the broth out heh, even after i seasoned it.

yea i guess youre supposed to season these bowls too, fill with brine, bowl for a few mins then coat with seseme oil.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Made stuffed piquillo peppers last night. Will definitely make it again. Pretty simple for such a rich, distinctive taste. Though I might use chorizo next time instead of merguez.

stuffed piquillo peppers.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How long did you cook them for? Every time my wife makes stuffed peppers, they turn mushy. She does it as a one-pot meal in the slow cooker, so I imagine having to cook the stuffing to a certain temperature is the issue here.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How long did you cook them for? Every time my wife makes stuffed peppers, they turn mushy. She does it as a one-pot meal in the slow cooker, so I imagine having to cook the stuffing to a certain temperature is the issue here.

I brown the sausage and sautee the onions first and then let it cool a little so I can actually handle stuffing the peppers. Then in a mixing bowl I combine goat cheese, garlic, herbs/spices, cooled sausage/onion mix, rice, and an egg. Stuff the peppers and bake them at 400 for 20 min.

Piquillo peppers are going to be kind of mushy anyway though because you buy them jarred in oil. But they're extremely thin. Definitely different than eating stuffed bell peppers which I think you need to cook a bit longer since they're so much thicker.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
At this point with the price of things consider your nonstick pans disposable. This is the one instance where I'll take the cheap chinese shit. The cheapest non stick American made pan I could find was like 50+ bucks and I honestly don't see the coating lasting 5 times longer than a 10$ chinese one.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing I ever used a nonstick for was eggs, and now not even that. honestly, I cook 90% of my fried everything in my https://www.amazon.com/MINERAL-Round-Carbon-Tortilla-12-Inch these days.

Breakfast is usually:
Drop in 2-3 bacon strips. cook on one side still good enough, drain off all the grease and any gnarly bits. flip bacon, use them to "regrease" the rest of the pan, then put to the edges, crack 2-3 eggs in the empty space, throw a lid on till eggs are done (over medium, scrambled, omelet fluffy, w-e). slide it all off onto a plate. use downtime during bacon to make toast or cereal or whatever. I've used it in the oven plenty too, another handy bonus (and you only grab the hot handle once.)

Once its seasoned, your cleaning regime for either a nonstick or a carbon steel should be pretty identical (soft scrubby, or even just rinse and wipe out. And, as a plus, you can totally use any old utensil on the steel and honey badger don't care.

The only downside I could see is if you have Spotless-Ikea-fake-kitchen clean ADHD. Properly seasoned steel *DOES* look like the most abused cookware known to man.

d74b171a-554f-407b-b447-f3212d0b32f5-pan.jpg

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have an old 8" aluminum from some restaurant my dad used to work at ages ago. Breakfast is serious business to him and eggs especially so. The only things that ever go in the pan are eggs and butter, just wipe clean when done.

The thing is so old and worn on the outside that I have no idea on the brand. It works better than any non stick pan I've ever used for eggs though.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have an old 8" aluminum from some restaurant my dad used to work at ages ago. Breakfast is serious business to him and eggs especially so. The only things that ever go in the pan are eggs and butter, just wipe clean when done.

The thing is so old and worn on the outside that I have no idea on the brand. It works better than any non stick pan I've ever used for eggs though.
It gets an Artifact: +2 bonus to eggs.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only thing I ever used a nonstick for was eggs, and now not even that. honestly, I cook 90% of my fried everything in my https://www.amazon.com/MINERAL-Round-Carbon-Tortilla-12-Inch these days.

Breakfast is usually:
Drop in 2-3 bacon strips. cook on one side still good enough, drain off all the grease and any gnarly bits. flip bacon, use them to "regrease" the rest of the pan, then put to the edges, crack 2-3 eggs in the empty space, throw a lid on till eggs are done (over medium, scrambled, omelet fluffy, w-e). slide it all off onto a plate. use downtime during bacon to make toast or cereal or whatever. I've used it in the oven plenty too, another handy bonus (and you only grab the hot handle once.)

Once its seasoned, your cleaning regime for either a nonstick or a carbon steel should be pretty identical (soft scrubby, or even just rinse and wipe out. And, as a plus, you can totally use any old utensil on the steel and honey badger don't care.

The only downside I could see is if you have Spotless-Ikea-fake-kitchen clean ADHD. Properly seasoned steel *DOES* look like the most abused cookware known to man.

d74b171a-554f-407b-b447-f3212d0b32f5-pan.jpg
that must be a de buyer

*edit, yea it is, i guess mineral b, is what de buyer calls it, i recognized it b/c i have a de buyer crepe skillet (which i use exclusive for eggs), and the only reason why i chose the brand de buyer is cuz they seem to be the only ppl that grind down the rivets, lulz, i now have a passion of HATING rivets on the handle.

before i used to cook my eggs in my wok, like an average asian, but wok is round, and unless you really pay attention (like swishing it) around you get thick omellet like eggs, i want more "flat" area surface to have a good "fry"

also i've taken to using a fish spatula

seems ppl really recommend it when using cast iron
70ff89f2763b570af6c7ea8d090afc40.png

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guessing people recommend the fish turner because it's metal and has the flatish end. Doing a legit SCRAAAAAAAPE once in a while is part of keeping anything that's "seasoned" happy. It scrapes off the high spots that naturally form during use.

I've always found fish turners too round, too floppy, or too big for my needs. I'm super happy with a nice 4 inch restaurant style pancake flipper.
1615491858013.png

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
my 5 year old sous vide (non circulator) finally fell apart

cooked 99.999% of my meals with it since 2015