Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
the advanced instapots now come w/ sous-vide if you were also thinking about picking up an instapot

I bought a circulator before Xmas to take abroad with me when I went to see Dominatrix, psycho alcoholic and for NYE fetish party. So that I could stick to my diet.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
when I went to see Dominatrix, psycho alcoholic

Yes, we all know you're a freak. Please continue to find new threads in which to bring it up.

tenor.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There's a really popular Burmese restaurant here and a tea leaf salad is their signature dish. Tried replicating it and I came really close. Ratio of ingredients was a little off, but I can easily adjust for next time. Amazing meal. Especially for how easy, tasty, and cheap it is.

tea leaf salad.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There's a really popular Burmese restaurant here and a tea leaf salad is their signature dish. Tried replicating it and I came really close. Ratio of ingredients was a little off, but I can easily adjust for next time. Amazing meal. Especially for how easy, tasty, and cheap it is.

View attachment 341384
Where's the meat?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I need advice for a good nonstick pan, mostly for eggs. Carbon steel is fine if that's your thing.
so it seems many of us use carbon steel, if you want to invest in the time and car and dedicate it solely for eggs which most of us do

i don't believe nayone uses cermic pans much? we've all tried em, i believe most of us think it sucks, if youre gonna go non stick go for the king and use teflon

americas test kitchen has this as their winner
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro, 12-Inch, Black

be careful in buying, they only list the "PRO" version as their choice pick, oxo has other non pros

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went with a de buyer carbon steel. We'll see how it goes.
i really recommend the fish spatula, plus if youre like me and decide, maybe you want to throw a sausage or two on your egg only pan, and maybe the link got a bit stuck, just do a quick scrape with the fish spatula, cuz you can just bring that to the dishwasher.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
so it seems many of us use carbon steel, if you want to invest in the time and car and dedicate it solely for eggs which most of us do

i don't believe nayone uses cermic pans much? we've all tried em, i believe most of us think it sucks, if youre gonna go non stick go for the king and use teflon

americas test kitchen has this as their winner
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro, 12-Inch, Black

be careful in buying, they only list the "PRO" version as their choice pick, oxo has other non pros
I went with the Tramontina from Amazon when it was ~$25. This two pack brings it down a bit more.

I figure it's better to get one on the cheaper side and just re-buy when I eventually scratch it or wear the coating off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went with the Tramontina from Amazon when it was ~$25. This two pack brings it down a bit more.

I figure it's better to get one on the cheaper side and just re-buy when I eventually scratch it or wear the coating off.
i see chef forums rave about that brands 3ply stainless

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I picked up one of those based on the same reasoning 2 years ago. No complaints and the coating has no issues yet.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Mine's starting to go, but I think it's mis-treatment from my kids/wife(/myself) more than anything.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I am staring, for the first time, to experiment with different crusts and pastries. I've now done hot water crust a couple of times (for hand raised meat pies), and the kids just love it. I've done the same dishes with regular pie crust and they don't love it. Hot water crust and it's a sensational hit.

What other crusts do people do for things that is successful?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I am staring, for the first time, to experiment with different crusts and pastries. I've now done hot water crust a couple of times (for hand raised meat pies), and the kids just love it. I've done the same dishes with regular pie crust and they don't love it. Hot water crust and it's a sensational hit.

Wait, what is this hot water crust?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Something I like doing right now. I don't like chorizo usually because mushy sausage is not my thing. However using a small amount, like one ounce, of it instead of oil provides a great deal of flavor to anything.

A favorite is to do this with some poblanos and cheese like was mentioned in here. Or eggs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>

I like the vodka pie crust recipe that has both butter and shortening ok...I may use lard instead of crisco if I have it in the pantry....but the crust itself is really forgiving.
I never use a food processor even though some recipes call for its use. My pastry blender or just my fingers and a fork have always served just fine.
I have tried many recipes over my lifetime and I really like that one in both sweet or savory applications.
I will however give the hot water recipe a go!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like the vodka pie crust recipe that has both butter and shortening ok...I may use lard instead of crisco if I have it in the pantry....but the crust itself is really forgiving.
I never use a food processor even though some recipes call for its use. My pastry blender or just my fingers and a fork have always served just fine.
I have tried many recipes over my lifetime and I really like that one in both sweet or savory applications.
I will however give the hot water recipe a go!

I'm in no way knocking hot water crust, I'll eat nearly any hand pie handed to me. That said, the reminder here is that the originators of hot water crust were looking for a *wrapping material* that was also edible and cheap/easy. The Cornish pasties were Mine food for miners. These things were expected to survive in a clothing pocket till lunch time.

As such, you want to look for and expect an entirely different set of characteristics than a biscuit, or a pie crust, or shortbread or or or..

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users