Gravy's Cooking Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those bug things work but unfortunately they kill more bugs that eat mosquitoes than mosquitoes and all bug lives matter.

Your best bet is a fan like mentioned above or spray with the worst chemicals in it. That is pretty much all that works.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it might only end up ghetofabulous, but maybe one of these

1628129730642.png

hung from a

1628129807579.png

w or w/out the whole umbrella?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20210805_110125_HDR.jpg

chicken tasted great

200 for 1hr then cranked it to 350 for 20mins to crisp up skin, could taste the smoky flavor, just s&p

pork butt stayed in at 225 for 6hrs also just s&p, it's in the oven now

having the water pan and spritzing once in a while seems to really help

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Brisket 3 done in the smoker. Texture much improved and I got the nice black bark I was looking for. The only issue here was that the bark was just a little saltier than I wanted it to be.

This time I trimmed the brisket real nice and for the rub, I used avocado oil along with it. Reasoning that the avocado oil has a higher smoke point than something like olive oil like many recipes recommend. Worked out well. The temperature threw me off a ton though, I was looking for the buttery smoothness around 203F and I was feeling it with the probe but the two probes that come with the smoker were wildly different, one read 200, one read 188. So I went and got my normal thermometer and booked it 3 times in point middle and end of the flat. Getting 200,203,200. So I took it off.

Not sure wtf happened there but Brisket 3 is a stark improvement over the first two. I just need to be a better judge of the texture. This is more annoying due to the pink butcher paper being in the way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I poured some milk on a bowl of cereal this morning.

It turned out pretty good.

• 1Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
But how long did you let the cereal brine in the milk before consuming? Nothing worse than soggy captain crunch

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well, for a few minutes while my coffee finished brewing.

I also used my spoon to dunk all the dry cereal in the milk, but everyone does that, right?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
talking about brine... i'm thinking about pastrami
I usually just pick up a corned beef on sale. Always try to find a point piece. Soak it in water for a couple of days, and keep dumping the water until it's relatively clear. You're pulling out a lot of the salt that way.

Rub it down with a pastrami rub (coriander, black pepper, garlic, etc) and toss it on the smoker. Just treat it like a normal brisket then. I just wrap it and foil instead of paper, and throw the little seasoning packet in with some beer. It doesn't take near as long as doing a whole packer, and there's enough food for a few days with leftovers.

I'll usually make colcannon to go with it and then we make Rubens with the leftovers. Makes pretty good tacos too.

I'm sure making your own brine and using a raw brisket would be better but this is a nice easy way, and you get pretty decent results.

IMG_20200125_185640034_HDR~2 (1).jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This isn't mine, but I saw it online and I want it

UntimelySnarlingBlackfly-max-1mb.gif

View attachment 365884
Tokachi Butadon

pork rice bowl,

i had a few months where i made a few jap rice bowls, you can do this by marinating pork chops in sugar/soy/shaoxing wine and grill to get that crispy texture, under a bowl of white rice, the rice is always the star of the show

how important is rice? i recently bought a strainer, whose sole and only useful purpose is to wash rice
892fa033cff5c94356997fbb248e54b7.png

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tokachi Butadon

pork rice bowl,

i had a few months where i made a few jap rice bowls, you can do this by marinating pork chops in sugar/soy/shaoxing wine and grill to get that crispy texture, under a bowl of white rice, the rice is always the star of the show

how important is rice? i recently bought a strainer, whose sole and only useful purpose is to wash rice
892fa033cff5c94356997fbb248e54b7.png
lol more bullshit gadgets you dont need.

Measure rice, put in pot, rinse 3 times until almost clear water, then drain by hand, add bit oil/butter, measured water, cook on low heat for 30 min. Perfect fucking rice every time.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't you guys start some rice shit or I'll get Uncle Roger up in here

• 2Worf
  • 1Like