Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If Lanx ever had a yard sale walmart/target would be able to point to the dip on their sales chart on that day.
i don't have much gadgets around that i don't use really

when i moved i only gave away 4
1. air fryer b/c i bought the air fryer that goes on top of the instapot
2. 1 bread maker i used once b/c i got the zojirushi breadmaker to replace it
3. 1 coffee maker, it was a bonavita sca certified so it made great coffee, just that my technivorm is prettier (blush)
4. another coffee related, but this is actually big, my gaggia pro and all stuff

also along w/ that i gave her these cute coffee glasses
e2a4a5f3d93d92a39f130f789b71381c.png

i had decided a year or ago to just "throw shit" away when i was cleaning up and stumbled up 20lbs of various heatsinks lulz.

(oh i also had a motive that these 2 neighbors kept an eye on my house when i moved since it was going to be 2-3 months out from sale and i didn't intend to ever go back)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
We're doing a duck and a goose
Man make certain to take pictures of the goose (and the duck). I'm very curious to know how you end up doing it and what does it taste like in comparison to duck. I love cooking duck and I've got one sitting in the freezer, but I think I'm going to save it for Christmas and just fry a turkey. Well we are going to fry turkey and I've actually thawedt it out already and it's dry brining in the fridge.

I just never had goose before and I keep wanting to get one. I'm assuming it's pretty close to duck and taste?

How are you going to cook both of them? I know every time I've ever done duck it's been Peking style drying it out for a few of days, blowing air under the skin, basting it with an aromatic solution, roasting, not in that particular order. I don't use maltose though, and the rest of the flavor profile is more French or Western.

It's always been a long process but you get such good results and it's a fun and different thing to do for the holiday.

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You need some brass balls to deep fry a turkey inside.
Frying turkey isn't that big of a deal as long as you follow a few simple rules.

Always fry outside

Determine the displacement of the oil versus the turkey you've got.

And monitor your temps

Apparently it's pretty difficult for a lot of folks though. The displacement of the oil is the biggest thing that people never think of doing and that's where you get the giant grease fires.

But a good peanut oil fried turkey is easily better than anyting cooked in an oven.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i started thawing turkey, gonna brine it for the deep fry

i already tested the deep fryer with 2 whole chickens, just a bit of seasoning no breading (i was gonna reuse this oil, i didn't want to filter that much)

idk wtf it was but this skin came out super crispy and yummie

but this shit is dangerous, i slowly dropped the chicken down and it was like a volcano of steam. (i'm doing it on the floor, not gonna fry this bird on my counter where it's near my face)

What are you brining your turkey in? I just think it's best that you wet brine it for a few days, pull it out, and then let it dry out for another day or so prior to frying. If you try to pull that sucker right out of the wet brine and drop it into the oil of course you're going to get a whole ton of water pouring out, and it's going to be nasty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What are you brining your turkey in? I just think it's best that you wet brine it for a few days, pull it out, and then let it dry out for another day or so prior to frying. If you try to pull that sucker right out of the wet brine and drop it into the oil of course you're going to get a whole ton of water pouring out, and it's going to be nasty.
just 1cup sugar and salt, i plan to take it out the morning of, think it'll be dry enough by then?

i will pat it dry, dunno what more i can do.

the fryer does come with this bombass basket
a3cd5d42f25141fbba8edb04c5764907.jpg

(my version is actually more of a wire basket mesh, so that there is more turkey to oil contact and less metal contact)

maybe i kinda but it in a 80degree oven first? like i'm poofing bread?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
just 1cup sugar and salt, i plan to take it out the morning of, think it'll be dry enough by then?

i will pat it dry, dunno what more i can do.

the fryer does come with this bombass basket
a3cd5d42f25141fbba8edb04c5764907.jpg

(my version is actually more of a wire basket mesh, so that there is more turkey to oil contact and less metal contact)

maybe i kinda but it in a 80degree oven first? like i'm poofing bread?
I'd maybe take it out the evening before, throw it on a cooling rack on a cookie sheet in the fridge to air-dry overnight.

You do that and you should be perfectly fine. I think one of the other mistakes people make is pull a wet brine turkey out, don't do any sort of drying process, drop it immediately and into a fryer, and they get an explosion.

I say these things because in the past my family and I have made these mistakes when we've fried them. I grew up in New Orleans, and back in the late 80s early 90s, it what is what you had any Thanksgiving event or Christmas gathering.

Luckily with all the YouTube knowledge and cookbooks, and food science that is out there you can really dial it in nowadays.

Another option you can always do is one of the Char-Broil Big easy oil-less fryer. They're fantastic, and you don't have to worry so much about a wet brine. You can get extremely close to the same level of crisp skin, and achieve the same flavor by liberally rubbing it with peanut oil.

I've use the Big easy for turkeys and chickens in the past, and the other benefit of that method is you can shove a beer can up the birds ass. For a turkey I'll typically get an oil can of fosters because it's the right diameter. Those turkeys have typically been the juiciest I've ever made.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I never wet brine anymore. Just salt it liberally 24 hours before you want to start cooking and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator to dry out the skin. Then if you're roasting or smoking put a bunch of butter on and under the skin. If you're frying it the butter is not needed.

Determine the displacement of the oil versus the turkey you've got.

This is very important. If you don't know what he means, put your turkey in the pot you're going to fry it in, fill it with water until the turkey is just covered, then take the turkey out and either mark the level on the pot or measure the water and you know how much oil you need to put in so it doesn't overflow and burn your house down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I never wet brine anymore. Just salt it liberally 24 hours before you want to start cooking and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator to dry out the skin. Then if you're roasting or smoking put a bunch of butter on and under the skin. If you're frying it the butter is not needed.

This is very important. If you don't know what he means, put your turkey in the pot you're going to fry it in, fill it with water until the turkey is just covered, then take the turkey out and either mark the level on the pot or measure the water and you know how much oil you need to put in so it doesn't overflow and burn your house down.
I don't often either. Only time I typically do is if I'm using a buttermilk based brine. Other than that it's always just a dry brine. And like you suggested, slather butter under the skin, or better yet a compound butter.

There's also nothing wrong with injecting marinades or flavorings in too big pieces of meat for that little extra oomph.

Next time I make a porchetta, and I've got two big Boston butts in the freezer, I'll try to document, and share that recipe. That's a very long dry brine process for probably the greatest Italian style pork roast ever. On the verge of being some form of charcuterie, except you're not preserving it for an extended of time, and you're getting moist fresh cooked texture. Probably one of my favorite things to make and eat.

34929.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man make certain to take pictures of the goose (and the duck). I'm very curious to know how you end up doing it and what does it taste like in comparison to duck. I love cooking duck and I've got one sitting in the freezer, but I think I'm going to save it for Christmas and just fry a turkey. Well we are going to fry turkey and I've actually thawedt it out already and it's dry brining in the fridge.

I just never had goose before and I keep wanting to get one. I'm assuming it's pretty close to duck and taste?

How are you going to cook both of them? I know every time I've ever done duck it's been Peking style drying it out for a few of days, blowing air under the skin, basting it with an aromatic solution, roasting, not in that particular order. I don't use maltose though, and the rest of the flavor profile is more French or Western.

It's always been a long process but you get such good results and it's a fun and different thing to do for the holiday.

Goose:

Duck:

I follow those pretty closely, and they always come out amazing. I prefer goose to the duck. It's just a little less fatty, and a little less gamey. I like both, though, and both are better than turkey IMHO.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Goose:

Duck:

I follow those pretty closely, and they always come out amazing. I prefer goose to the duck. It's just a little less fatty, and a little less gamey. I like both, though, and both are better than turkey IMHO.
That's actually a really big surprise. I've always heard that goose is typically greasier / gamier then duck. Maybe that's only in relation to wild versus farm-raised. I always thought goose was even fattier than duck, and again maybe it's the birds that you're getting from wherever they're sourced.

I'm assuming you're cooking farm-raised or not wild game. Is the taste at least somewhat similar? To me duck has a beefy quality to it, but yet it's different. I know you never necessarily here in cooking videos and cookbooks of what things specifically tastes like because it's so subjective. I guess that's why I'm asking because those are the things that are more important to me than anything else.

If you have a specific spice blend, marinade, or whatever that produces a certain flavor profile with some sort of protein, I just want to know what it's supposed to taste like and maybe in comparison to something similar.

Damn it now I want to go get a goose for Christmas. I've been threatening it for the past couple of years, but was always worried everyone might not like it, even if I was willing to just try something for the first time.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That's actually a really big surprise. I've always heard that goose is typically greasier / gamier then duck. Maybe that's only in relation to wild versus farm-raised. I always thought goose was even fattier than duck, and again maybe it's the birds that you're getting from wherever they're sourced.

I'm assuming you're cooking farm-raised or not wild game. Is the taste at least somewhat similar? To me duck has a beefy quality to it, but yet it's different. I know you never necessarily here in cooking videos and cookbooks of what things specifically tastes like because it's so subjective. I guess that's why I'm asking because those are the things that are more important to me than anything else.

If you have a specific spice blend, marinade, or whatever that produces a certain flavor profile with some sort of protein, I just want to know what it's supposed to taste like and maybe in comparison to something similar.

Damn it now I want to go get a goose for Christmas. I've been threatening it for the past couple of years, but was always worried everyone might not like it, even if I was willing to just try something for the first time.

You're right that duck has more of a red meat texture for sure. I've done both farm raised and game duck and goose, and every time there is more fat in the roasting pan from a duck than a goose.

I think what I've found is that the goose responds to the citrus more - it cuts down the fat taste, and makes the meat lighter, elevates it. It will be good to have a side by side comparison this year.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You're right that duck has more of a red meat texture for sure. I've done both farm raised and game duck and goose, and every time there is more fat in the roasting pan from a duck than a goose.

I think what I've found is that the goose responds to the citrus more - it cuts down the fat taste, and makes the meat lighter, elevates it. It will be good to have a side by side comparison this year.
Acid to cut through that richness, wether it's citrus, wine, or brine. Like I requested earlier, document it if you don't mind because I'm very interested in seeing what you do with it and how it all turns out.

On that note I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving feast, because it sure sounds like it's going to shape up the be a good one.

Hopefully everyone will post their results and it will spur some good conversation.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Acid to cut through that richness, wether it's citrus, wine, or brine. Like I requested earlier, document it if you don't mind because I'm very interested in seeing what you do with it and how it all turns out.

On that note I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving feast, because it sure sounds like it's going to shape up the be a good one.

Hopefully everyone will post their results and it will spur some good conversation.
i'll be presenting mine on this board i wanted to test out, on single birds and brisket, it works well to contain the juices
b67626027d4a67b7a5277d7205264daf.png

• 1WTF

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I'll do what I can, but man, my house will be incredibly full of people.

All the best to you and yours, too.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'll do what I can, but man, my house will be incredibly full of people.

All the best to you and yours, too.
Dude no worries, if you can get a photo a prior, and then finished product with it being carved, that be fantastic.

I can always bug your ass about exactly what you did, because I guess that's what we do on the forums.

Don't bust your balls over it, unless you're arguing with Xequecal Xequecal and you're just being a masochist.

Last edited:
  • 1Like