Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I used to have one of those but it takes up too much room in the kitchen when you can do it just fine in a cast iron skillet, dutch oven, or my favorite, a wok which you already have.
This, or at least get the propane style burner you can throw in your driveway or backyard, and use a relatively large stainless steel vessel for a proper fish fry.

Never have to get your house smelling funky, and it'll pull double-duty if you actually want to blacken anything Prudhomme style.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That IS Lanx.
Amod Amod please see rule 3
a76d06c8e5022b1b14fa226f3be8bbcd.png

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I can't stand stupid Tik Tok style short videos like that. Now every content creator is doing YouTube shorts because all the kids have an attention span akin to a goldfish. If you really want to share some knowledge or teach people something, show a little bit more effort, be patient, and take the time to really enjoy what you're creating. Then again it's all about the clicks and views, and racking up as many as you can.

Sign of the times I guess...

I don't think effort is the problem with these lame quick vids. He obviously spent hours putting that dish together.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I went to the local market and they have a momo stand. I could do this every week.

20211120_101712.jpg

Need recipe

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Pulled some steaks out of the freezer for an easy weekend meal prior to Thanksgiving. Probably turn leftovers in the tacos or Philly cheesesteaks.

Just been reverse searing with the slow and sear and monitoring temps, resting, and then flash searing. I've been very happy with the results lately. Was sous-videing all the time, but I haven't touched my anova in almost a year. I'm finding it more useful though for larger weirder cuts like tri-tip or chuck roast. Even then you can still reverse here and just watch your temps on the grill and I finally get a better flavor and the texture isn't as off if it has to sit in the water bath for 24 hours.

IMG_20211120_190755339.jpg

IMG_20211120_190626106.jpg

IMG_20211120_190547263.jpg

IMG_20211120_180149861.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_180149861.jpg
    IMG_20211120_180149861.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Looks good. I've also been doing sous vide less and just cast iron sear and finish in the toaster oven if needed. Not sure if lazy or just as good, though. Tried every combo of timing and order and when to season and all pretty similar to me (nothing beats actual flame though). Maybe the meat I get wasn't high enough quality to make much difference.

How long were you putting steaks in for sous vide? 24 hours? I was doing 1-2 hours, then sear with little texture issues. Will do up to 36 hours for roasts, though, to good result, but wanting them a bit more fall apart.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
haven't touched my anova in almost a year.
i've been making ramen eggs for a while, probably went through 300eggs since the last time i talked about it.

gonna try sous vide eggs benedict (just the egg itself) 12mins at 167f is what i've seen (also the app too)

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
i've been making ramen eggs for a while, probably went through 300eggs since the last time i talked about it.

gonna try sous vide eggs benedict (just the egg itself) 12mins at 167f is what i've seen (also the app too)

I can't remember if I asked you already, but what's your method for ramen eggs?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Looks good. I've also been doing sous vide less and just cast iron sear and finish in the toaster oven if needed. Not sure if lazy or just as good, though. Tried every combo of timing and order and when to season and all pretty similar to me (nothing beats actual flame though). Maybe the meat I get wasn't high enough quality to make much difference.

How long were you putting steaks in for sous vide? 24 hours? I was doing 1-2 hours, then sear with little texture issues. Will do up to 36 hours for roasts, though, to good result, but wanting them a bit more fall apart.
If I did stakes it was only for hour and a half , maybe two at the most. Even doing something like a tri-tip I think I only ever ran 12. I just knew myself and my wife both can tell the difference after the sous-vide. The meat just ends up taking on a different texture and it seems like a longer your run it the more risk you have of it almost turning out to be mealy.

I see the benefit though if you were going to cook a whole bunch of steaks for a big party or something. I tried doing baby backs at one point it and they were pretty bleh. Salmon is okay, but I still get just as good a results by putting it in a foil pack with aromatics and butter.

Like Lanx Lanx was saying about doing eggs, I should try to focus on other things versus just meat. Let us know how the eggs turn out. I'd really like a good cheat code for perfect gooey yolks

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I can't remember if I asked you already, but what's your method for ramen eggs?
i tried instapot vs. straight boiling water and boiling water wins. (always use enough water so that you'll have enough thermal mass that your will stay boiling once you drop in the eggs)

i always poke the, i use the device
88e585a07b35d8ed1af65908f6ad10e4.png

and you shouldn't take the poker to the egg, rather all eggs come with the wider side up (where the air bubble is) so just take the egg poker to the carton and poke in 1 go. (i mean if youre gonna boil an egg, youre gonna do a carton or so)

and for me i like 7minutes total boiling time, but your time will vary with elevation, size of egg, even type/brand of egg will be different (i mixed kroger and publix eggs once and they looked differernt) (you have to see what time is good for you, with the eggs you have but be consistent)

then i prepare a huge bowl of ice water, i use a few packs of blue ice, but i still use a lot of ice, i found out the quicker you can thermal shock the egg from boiling to ice cold is where you can easily release the shell.

then after waiting a few mins, take the egg and smash the butt side (the one that was poked) against the table sink and it should peel right off. (if it didn't then you didn't use enough water and/or ice to thermal shock the egg fast enough, use more next time), and now my eggs never come out like quasimodo eggs

i have a vacuum container that fits 18eggs and do equal parts

1/2 cup
sake
soy sauce
mirin

i don't bother cooking the marinade, most ppl do, i believe that is b/c most ppl include white sugar in there, imo it's naturally sweet enough with the mirin and doesn't need more sugar, but if you believe it does, then thats when you do cook it.

vacuum container keeps the eggs nice for a week (and helps with marinade), wife and i eat 2 eggs a day.

really the best takaways i have is to use a lot of boiling water in the beginning for enough thermal mass so that you won't lose and can recover easily enough heat to keep it boiling for 7mins (or however long it is for you)

poke that hole

and then again use a lot of ice water to thermal shock the eggs to release the shell.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
i tried instapot vs. straight boiling water and boiling water wins. (always use enough water so that you'll have enough thermal mass that your will stay boiling once you drop in the eggs)

i always poke the, i use the device
88e585a07b35d8ed1af65908f6ad10e4.png

and you shouldn't take the poker to the egg, rather all eggs come with the wider side up (where the air bubble is) so just take the egg poker to the carton and poke in 1 go. (i mean if youre gonna boil an egg, youre gonna do a carton or so)

and for me i like 7minutes total boiling time, but your time will vary with elevation, size of egg, even type/brand of egg will be different (i mixed kroger and publix eggs once and they looked differernt) (you have to see what time is good for you, with the eggs you have but be consistent)

then i prepare a huge bowl of ice water, i use a few packs of blue ice, but i still use a lot of ice, i found out the quicker you can thermal shock the egg from boiling to ice cold is where you can easily release the shell.

then after waiting a few mins, take the egg and smash the butt side (the one that was poked) against the table sink and it should peel right off. (if it didn't then you didn't use enough water and/or ice to thermal shock the egg fast enough, use more next time), and now my eggs never come out like quasimodo eggs

i have a vacuum container that fits 18eggs and do equal parts

1/2 cup
sake
soy sauce
mirin

i don't bother cooking the marinade, most ppl do, i believe that is b/c most ppl include white sugar in there, imo it's naturally sweet enough with the mirin and doesn't need more sugar, but if you believe it does, then thats when you do cook it.

vacuum container keeps the eggs nice for a week (and helps with marinade), wife and i eat 2 eggs a day.

really the best takaways i have is to use a lot of boiling water in the beginning for enough thermal mass so that you won't lose and can recover easily enough heat to keep it boiling for 7mins (or however long it is for you)

poke that hole

and then again use a lot of ice water to thermal shock the eggs to release the shell.

It sounds really good, and I will try this, but I have to ask, are these breakfast eggs? With sake?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It sounds really good, and I will try this, but I have to ask, are these breakfast eggs? With sake?
if your worried about that you can just cook off the sake also, bring to boil then just do the quick flambe to cook off the sake, maybe you can do w/o the sake, idk, i havent tried yet w/o as this is just the base of a teriyaki, but you need the soy(salt) and mirin(sugar) to cure the ramen eggs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users