Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
if your worried about that you can just cook off the sake also, bring to boil then just do the quick flambe to cook off the sake, maybe you can do w/o the sake, idk, i havent tried yet w/o as this is just the base of a teriyaki, but you need the soy(salt) and mirin(sugar) to cure the ramen eggs.

I'm not worried about it, but sake has a pretty strong odor, you might smell like booze after breakfast. Typically not recommended.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not worried about it, but sake has a pretty strong odor, you might smell like booze after breakfast. Typically not recommended.
naw, it's not like youre drinking the marinade, it's just there to help along the cure, i'm sure it doesn't even put any alcohol to the egg cuz i'll just do an egg 4x only ramen dish and i'm fine, and i'm allergic to alcohol.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
naw, it's not like youre drinking the marinade, it's just there to help along the cure, i'm sure it doesn't even put any alcohol to the egg cuz i'll just do an egg 4x only ramen dish and i'm fine, and i'm allergic to alcohol.

Good point. Thanks!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The meat just ends up taking on a different texture and it seems like a longer your run it the more risk you have of it almost turning out to be mealy.

Haven't had the mealy/mushy issue. Maybe because when I sous vide it's meat that's been vacuum sealed and frozen. My bigger concern is a few times meat was almost too firm like it had been pickled. Not sure if being frozen makes a difference, but never tried sous vide with fresh meat, because that seems weird.

Have done a few pork roasts 24-36 hours and they turned out perfect for non-smoker pulled pork. Was pull apart but not at all mushy or disintegrated. Last London broil I did for the dog turned out weirdly dry.

Like the instant pot I find sous vide a bit less revolutionary than people make it out to be, but still handy. Mostly for longer cooks instead of using the crock pot or

Have wanted to try to sous vide steaks that then get put into the fridge and seered to heat later, as that would be pretty handy for quick meals or group meals. Heard it works well, but I dunno.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haven't had the mealy/mushy issue. Maybe because when I sous vide it's meat that's been vacuum sealed and frozen. My bigger concern is a few times meat was almost too firm like it had been pickled. Not sure if being frozen makes a difference, but never tried sous vide with fresh meat, because that seems weird.

Have done a few pork roasts 24-36 hours and they turned out perfect for non-smoker pulled pork. Was pull apart but not at all mushy or disintegrated. Last London broil I did for the dog turned out weirdly dry.

Like the instant pot I find sous vide a bit less revolutionary than people make it out to be, but still handy. Mostly for longer cooks instead of using the crock pot or

Have wanted to try to sous vide steaks that then get put into the fridge and seered to heat later, as that would be pretty handy for quick meals or group meals. Heard it works well, but I dunno.
too firm? was it sealed properly and you didnt get freezer burn?

i know "i know how vacuum bags work"

but even then i've sealed 100steaks and some seals just go bad, i wouldn't say it's user error, just bad bag.

thats why now i get my steak meat, s&p and seal it and put it in the fridge for a few hours

if the seal is still in tact, i freeze, if it's broken, then the bag sux

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Mealy was just the first word that came to mind to describe that weird texture, but over firm / pickled / hammy works too. I think we're talking about the same thing. It can get dry not from a lack of moisture but from just a textural standpoint. There really seems to be windows for any cut of meat were you can get a good product out of it, I guess it just depends on how much fat and the type of muscle fibers.

I do think something with more fat like pork it's probably more forgiving. I just originally got to try to do perfect steaks, now I found I can get some more results without having to resort to sous vide and risk that weird texture. The other risk though is overcooking something versus the safety of it not getting over your desired sous-vide temp.

I'll be honest I think the greatest cooking tool I'm really he made certain to use it's just a thermal pen. Just getting in the habit of constantly temping whatever meat I'm cooking has made such a huge difference. Temperatures don't lie, and it really is an easy way to always ensure great results. That and reverse searing, but I'll reverse hearing is just temperature monitoring.

Slow and sear though if you got a Weber kettle. I was apprehensive about the initial cost but that thing has been solid gold. I can get good barbecue smoking results, and can get super hot temps for good Sears especially if I'm patient enough to use the cold grate method.

My Char-Griller akorn has been gathering dust as a result.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
btw, have you guys done "wet aging"

all you do is just vac seal a steak in regular vac bag and leave it in the fridge for a few weeks.

its probably(most likely) not as good as dry age, but there is a taste different than just freezing the vac'd bag.

besure to write shit down on the bag tho, lulz. i use blue 3m painters tape, stays on wet or dry (i've put it in the dish washer and it stays on), and wont fall off when frozen.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
too firm? was it sealed properly and you didnt get freezer burn?

i know "i know how vacuum bags work"

but even then i've sealed 100steaks and some seals just go bad, i wouldn't say it's user error, just bad bag.

thats why now i get my steak meat, s&p and seal it and put it in the fridge for a few hours

if the seal is still in tact, i freeze, if it's broken, then the bag sux

Had a few bags break from seal in the freezer, but only for pork roasts. It's weird. Never in sous vide though.

But yeah, had a few pork chops that were strangely firm on after sous vide.

You salt before freezing? I thought that led to firm, dry steaks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had a few bags break from seal in the freezer, but only for pork roasts. It's weird. Never in sous vide though.

naw you can do anything you want to it b4 freezing, s&p, seasonings marinade, just the freezer burn the issue from broken bag

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I don't know if I do a wet marinade and then freeze it, but you can definitely dry brine stuff and vacuum pack it. I just think all of the extra liquid moisture is going to create larger ice crystals that it's going to damage the meat. I think Alton Brown covered that whole topic on an old serious eats episode when he was freezing strawberries. Idea was just freeze things as quickly as possible to form the smallest ice crystals, they're for keeping it as close to original as possible. Slower the freezing the bigger the ice crystals and the more damage it does to the cellular structure of the shit you are freezing, or something to that effect. I think he actually use dry ice to freeze fruit, and when thawed they were nearly indistinguishable from fresh.

Had the same problem though with some of my vacuum packed meat recently. Every now and then I'll get a bag that just doesn't seal and I'll get a little bit of freezer burn. I just started doubling the seals because why not. Doesn't necessarily seem to be the bag but the seal is my biggest issue and if I do that I don't run into that problem any longer.

Seems that if there's any sort of wrinkle during the sealing process its normally where the failure happens.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We're doing a duck and a goose.
i started thawing turkey, gonna brine it for the deep fry

i already tested the deep fryer with 2 whole chickens, just a bit of seasoning no breading (i was gonna reuse this oil, i didn't want to filter that much)

idk wtf it was but this skin came out super crispy and yummie

but this shit is dangerous, i slowly dropped the chicken down and it was like a volcano of steam. (i'm doing it on the floor, not gonna fry this bird on my counter where it's near my face)

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
i started thawing turkey, gonna brine it for the deep fry

i already tested the deep fryer with 2 whole chickens, just a bit of seasoning no breading (i was gonna reuse this oil, i didn't want to filter that much)

idk wtf it was but this skin came out super crispy and yummie

but this shit is dangerous, i slowly dropped the chicken down and it was like a volcano of steam. (i'm doing it on the floor, not gonna fry this bird on my counter where it's near my face)

Every turkey frying vid I have seen says fry outside...

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You need some brass balls to deep fry a turkey inside.

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea don't worry, the masterbuilt fryer is built for indoor use, it just takes up a lot of space
9b805abee48b71eb2ddbcc32ee2ba5dc.png

• 1Like