Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok, i think i've got a good handle on making japanese curry roux with cubes

these are the available brands on amazon (and asian grocers)
e2617e66e96d49c40bd8175814048084.png

golden curry is the more known brand to me b/c it is made by S&B, however i've had way more success w/ the other brand (house), particuarly i've come to favor a mix of of 80java curry and 20 golden curry (i just put the left over roux in the ridge in a container for next time)

(i find vermont curry too sweet and theres something i don't like about kokumaro, honestly i'm only mixing in golden curry b/c i have a few boxes in storage, so once i get rid of it i'll just be using java)
these prices are a little bit on the expensive side tbh, you can get them for 4-5$ at an asian grocer, but of course thats only if you have it.

so i found the best and laziest way to do this is with our honorable instapot.

i put 4 thighs skin down and start it (so it starts sizzling the skin), i don't bother cutting it up cuz it'll shred and break down by the end, then i'll just chop up 4 potatoes, 2 carrots and an onion, 6 cloves of garlic and a few pieces of ginger, and i'll put enough water to just cover it.

then i'll chop up the curry roux blocks, many ppl just put it in there, but i find chopping it up is just easier and doesn't lead to the block of roux at the end, no flour or cornstarch needed, the potatoes will provide all that, put it under pressure for 3hours, and then when it's ready just remove the lid and let it keep warm for like a few minutes (this will thicken it up naturally, give it a stir)

pair it up w/ some white rice and panko chicken katsu and it'll give a restaurant a run for it's money.

note, i've also tried this, if you want a really RICH roux instead of using water, use daishi stock instead that would pretty much put you over the top.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I have a leftover turkey from thanksgiving that I want to get out of the freezer to clear up space.

Having never brined a turkey before, I assume I can use any old five gallon bucket as long as I'm using a liner bag right? and just tie the bag off in lieu of having a lid for the bucket?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Should work fine but you can get pretty much the same results by just salting the thing in the fridge in advance.

yeah but if I wet-brine I can let the bucket sit out in the garage, which stays at just the right temperature this time of year. Space is a bit of an issue. Maybe I can improvise something in the garage.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Nothing wrong with it if you have the space. Might have to let it sit overnight to dry the skin some though? Bucket of turkey in the garage is way more normal and probably a better idea than an exposed turkey.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah but if I wet-brine I can let the bucket sit out in the garage, which stays at just the right temperature this time of year. Space is a bit of an issue. Maybe I can improvise something in the garage.
do you have a cooler you can use instead? don't get the styrafoam ones they'll eventually leak

Khane

Got something right about marriage
In my experience Dry Brining (if you have the space) is almost always better and less of a hassle

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
No matter what happens, after you cook the damn thing make sure you throw all the bones and wasted parts into a pot and make turkey bone broth out of that shit. If it is a 15 lb turkey then you are looking at clearing between 2 - 4 gallons of stock.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No matter what happens, after you cook the damn thing make sure you throw all the bones and wasted parts into a pot and make turkey bone broth out of that shit. If it is a 15 lb turkey then you are looking at clearing between 2 - 4 gallons of stock.
yeah we still haven't done anything with the stock from thanksgiving's turkey. anyway looks like its gonna be less trouble to dry-brine it. There's a fridge outside in the garage that isn't currently plugged in but will work as a big cooler, and i can put ice in there to bring the temp down if i need to.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
ok, i think i've got a good handle on making japanese curry roux with cubes

these are the available brands on amazon (and asian grocers)
e2617e66e96d49c40bd8175814048084.png

golden curry is the more known brand to me b/c it is made by S&B, however i've had way more success w/ the other brand (house), particuarly i've come to favor a mix of of 80java curry and 20 golden curry (i just put the left over roux in the ridge in a container for next time)

(i find vermont curry too sweet and theres something i don't like about kokumaro, honestly i'm only mixing in golden curry b/c i have a few boxes in storage, so once i get rid of it i'll just be using java)
these prices are a little bit on the expensive side tbh, you can get them for 4-5$ at an asian grocer, but of course thats only if you have it.

so i found the best and laziest way to do this is with our honorable instapot.

i put 4 thighs skin down and start it (so it starts sizzling the skin), i don't bother cutting it up cuz it'll shred and break down by the end, then i'll just chop up 4 potatoes, 2 carrots and an onion, 6 cloves of garlic and a few pieces of ginger, and i'll put enough water to just cover it.

then i'll chop up the curry roux blocks, many ppl just put it in there, but i find chopping it up is just easier and doesn't lead to the block of roux at the end, no flour or cornstarch needed, the potatoes will provide all that, put it under pressure for 3hours, and then when it's ready just remove the lid and let it keep warm for like a few minutes (this will thicken it up naturally, give it a stir)

pair it up w/ some white rice and panko chicken katsu and it'll give a restaurant a run for it's money.

note, i've also tried this, if you want a really RICH roux instead of using water, use daishi stock instead that would pretty much put you over the top.
I'm too lazy to go check, but pretty sure we use Golden Curry, but mild since we feed it to the kids. Take whatever protein and vege that goes well together and cook it up, poor over rice. Done.... Ok, fine. I'll go check...

Hmm, looks like we're out.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So I have a leftover turkey from thanksgiving that I want to get out of the freezer to clear up space.

Having never brined a turkey before, I assume I can use any old five gallon bucket as long as I'm using a liner bag right? and just tie the bag off in lieu of having a lid for the bucket?
Wet brining is great and I do it with mainly poultry or pork, but I always dry brine beef.

The biggest thing to know is that depending upon your wet brine, it can sometimes change the texture of the meat. You'll get more of a hammish type texture. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it could be off putting. With a wet brine though, you can add other liquids like soy, Worcestershire, hot sauce, citrus, and lots of fresh aromatics with bundles of herbs and garlic bulbs. You seem to get a much stronger brine flavor imparted on the meat versus the dry brine. Dry brine seems to be more subtle.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Always just use these.

R.85274c360515c6abc0974d5a0e9ab7c1

Easy peasy, but not Japanesey. Golden curry or Japanese curry much different?

And have a nice big mortar and pestle and a good enough Asian grocery with whole dried spices, but ain't nobody got time for that.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Golden curry or Japanese curry much different?
yea it's basically like night and day for me personally, golden curry is what i fucked with for years, "ok" it doesn't taste anywhere near as good as anything i've had in restaurants, ok it tastes like dog shit since i've been to japan...

maybe i'm using golden curry wrong? i mean s&b is the japan curry standard right?, so i just added more and more blocks maybe i was being "cheap"? soy sauce? thickeners?...

no once i just bought "one of everything" at the asian grocer thats where i was missing and for me it was that java brand.

next up for me is to get some curry rouxs from the restaurant

i know Chysamere Chysamere is a fan of gogo curry
2dc584d88a5657052c8997463a1b7221.png

but these are more single packets of sauce.

have you tried coco curry? Chysamere Chysamere ?
a37bf4b23c30d7499b284622cff164e5.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe these Jap box curry is more like Indian curry than Thai curry.
i'm lucky enough here that i have 2 good indian restaurants
20220102_140243.jpg

whole indian family eating, and theyre so busy they don't even have time to clear tables just put the container on a seat and hope you order takeout heh.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Indian is prob my favorite food of all time. The Brits were not wrong to make the shit a national dish.

A handful of dishes/flavors are some of my favorites, but overall not so much. Been decades since I lived near a good Indian restaurant though.

In the Army in Monterey CA there was a place with a buffet that included really good Tandoori chicken. We'd go in a group of 4-6 and it was like the chicken scene in game of thrones where we would eat all the chickens and nothing but. Shit was so good. PT those afternoons were not fun though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I feel bad for people that do not have a good Indian joint close. And yeah, it has to be buffet so you can try a lot of the shit they have and not just stare at a menu asking WTF is this shit?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users