Gravy's Cooking Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I feel bad for people that do not have a good Indian joint close.

Why we've started making a lot of our own stuff. We live in a good area for buying meat and eating Mexican, but not great beyond that.

Been doing egg rolls and the more common Chinese dishes at home, beef and broccoli and sesame chicken. Did an amazing egg flower soup the other day (who knew, always hated it). Pad Thai with jaggery palm sugar and blocks of tamarind (just doesn't taste the same otherwise).

Next project is Cha Gio vietnamese fry roll which when good are my favorite thing ever. And tried to do Thai ice tea but was gross so not sure what went wrong, so will have to try again.

My girlfriend bought some lentils, wanting to do some Indian lentil potato curry or something, so I guess we're doing Indian now. All I care about in that direction is tandoori chicken, though. And Naan, but don't have the equipment for either I don't think.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
yea it's basically like night and day for me personally, golden curry is what i fucked with for years, "ok" it doesn't taste anywhere near as good as anything i've had in restaurants, ok it tastes like dog shit since i've been to japan...

maybe i'm using golden curry wrong? i mean s&b is the japan curry standard right?, so i just added more and more blocks maybe i was being "cheap"? soy sauce? thickeners?...

no once i just bought "one of everything" at the asian grocer thats where i was missing and for me it was that java brand.

next up for me is to get some curry rouxs from the restaurant

i know Chysamere Chysamere is a fan of gogo curry
2dc584d88a5657052c8997463a1b7221.png

but these are more single packets of sauce.

have you tried coco curry? Chysamere Chysamere ?
a37bf4b23c30d7499b284622cff164e5.png

I've never tried the box version of Coco but I've been to the restaurants many times. It's it's certainly the most popular and populous curry chain. I prefer GoGo but it's good.

Golden Curry is dogshit. You want to find one of these two brands:

1643152412487.png

Kokumaru. Blue is best.

or my personal favourite.

1643152458313.png

Torokeru. Again, Blue is best.

When cooking the curry, you don't want to overload the water with the roux. Method as follows:

Chop up your protein (I prefer chicken breasts, broken down into chunks, but anything will work). 500g or so. Start cooking it on a medium heat, you just want to brown all the sides at this point. While you are doing this...

Cube 2 carrots and 4 potatoes roughly to the same side as the meat. Inch to an inch long sides. Halve two onions. Add some Japanese Negi if you can find it, cut into 2 inch long cylinders. Throw therse into a fry pan or pot, drizzle with a little olive oil, and cook them until they start to colour a little. Once this is done, combine everything into a big pot, add water until everything is covered by with about an inch of water on top. Then can add any extra flavour (I like Ichimi) and Wostershire sauce, and boil it until a knife goes into the potato easily. Should take about half an hour.

After that, reduce the heat to half, add water again to make sure the vegetables and meat are covered by an inch again, and add the curry blocks. You should only need 4 - make sure you seperate the invidual cubes, drop them on top of the curry in the water spread out, and leave them for at least 10 minutes while they slowly dissolve in the warm water.

After they have been in there and mostly dissolved, Stir it to make sure all the roux dissolves fully. Don't be too rough or you will break up the potatoes. After you do this, bring to the boil again, and it's ready to eat, but leaving it longer will increase the flavour and it will be at its most delicious the next day as leftovers you've kept in the fridge.

1643152923339.png

1643152952729.png

1643153061696.png

1643153093610.png

1643153107145.png

1643153137306.png

1643153153097.png

• 5Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've never tried the box version of Coco but I've been to the restaurants many times. It's it's certainly the most popular and populous curry chain. I prefer GoGo but it's good.

Golden Curry is dogshit. You want to find one of these two brands:

View attachment 394863

Kokumaru. Blue is best.

or my personal favourite.

View attachment 394864

Torokeru. Again, Blue is best.

When cooking the curry, you don't want to overload the water with the roux. Method as follows:

Chop up your protein (I prefer chicken breasts, broken down into chunks, but anything will work). 500g or so. Start cooking it on a medium heat, you just want to brown all the sides at this point. While you are doing this...

Cube 2 carrots and 4 potatoes roughly to the same side as the meat. Inch to an inch long sides. Halve two onions. Add some Japanese Negi if you can find it, cut into 2 inch long cylinders. Throw therse into a fry pan or pot, drizzle with a little olive oil, and cook them until they start to colour a little. Once this is done, combine everything into a big pot, add water until everything is covered by with about an inch of water on top. Then can add any extra flavour (I like Ichimi) and Wostershire sauce, and boil it until a knife goes into the potato easily. Should take about half an hour.

After that, reduce the heat to half, add water again to make sure the vegetables and meat are covered by an inch again, and add the curry blocks. You should only need 4 - make sure you seperate the invidual cubes, drop them on top of the curry in the water spread out, and leave them for at least 10 minutes while they slowly dissolve in the warm water.

After they have been in there and mostly dissolved, Stir it to make sure all the roux dissolves fully. Don't be too rough or you will break up the potatoes. After you do this, bring to the boil again, and it's ready to eat, but leaving it longer will increase the flavour and it will be at its most delicious the next day as leftovers you've kept in the fridge.

View attachment 394866

View attachment 394869

View attachment 394872
View attachment 394873
View attachment 394874
View attachment 394875
View attachment 394876
dude, that rice paddle is only for already cooked rice, not cooking rice, thats plastic be wary of it, it'll melt, i'm sure you can find a bamboo spatula at daiso for 1$

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
dude, that rice paddle is only for already cooked rice, not cooking rice, thats plastic be wary of it, it'll melt, i'm sure you can find a bamboo spatula at daiso for 1$

Don't worry, everything is pre-cooked seperately, pan is just for mixing and keeping it warm. Wasn't hot enough to melt anything :)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So what does this curry bricks taste like? Indian? or some other type of curry? I mean, I know its Japanese curry but it has to mimic something.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So what does this curry bricks taste like? Indian? or some other type of curry? I mean, I know its Japanese curry but it has to mimic something.

Completely different. Thai, Indian and Japanese curry are taste nothing like one another. Japanese is the worst though imo.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Completely different. Thai, Indian and Japanese curry are taste nothing like one another. Japanese is the worst though imo.
Ok got it thanks.

I stil have one of the golden curry packages I bought in a Jap store like a few years ago, lol. But never used it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Massaman curry specifically is my favorite. Fusion of Indian and Thai, and uniquely with potatoes that aren't in most Thai curries. With beef (if you're doing it right). It's like a curry stew. Very good flavors, but still recognizable to American palates so is also a good introduction curry.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I make mine with the tub of red curry, Mae Ploy and coco nut milk with some added chicken bullion and brown sugar. Its like the closest Ive gotten to my favorite Thai curry place minus the kefir lime leaves which I cannot source locally. We make the shit like weekly around here with mushrooms, red/green peppers, bamboo shoot, and lots of fresh broccoli, oh and chicken of course. If you add a tablespoon of peanut butter it makes it peanut curry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Fucking Kefir leaves. In fact, fucking limes in general. I always forget the limes.

Last time I made Pad Thai I saved the day with

5665632b-d47c-4048-a314-71f838e0426f.13341638a5dd2de773f74c601e61fb5b.jpeg

Worked so nicely I'm gonna start intentionally using it as a lime replacement. And gave the pad Thai good color, too.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
In the Army in Monterey CA there was a place with a buffet that included really good Tandoori chicken. We'd go in a group of 4-6 and it was like the chicken scene in game of thrones where we would eat all the chickens and nothing but. Shit was so good. PT those afternoons were not fun though.

What the fuck is in Monterey? I think there was a language school I got offered at MEPs in Monterey maybe (that I turned down like a retard)

PT in the aftrenoon? Da fuq?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Monterey is a little beach town. They have a really nice aquarium there. I knew about that language school because I flew into there once and the plane was full of military guys going to learn various languages.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What the fuck is in Monterey? I think there was a language school I got offered at MEPs in Monterey maybe (that I turned down like a retard)

PT in the aftrenoon? Da fuq?

Yeah, language school. How does turning it down make you a retard? I always felt going was perhaps one of my mistakes. Could have picked any MOS and I picked cunning linguist instead of an actual skill I was interested in doing.

Yeah, would often do PT in the afternoon. I think we had to match the schedules of the Air Force since it was joint service. And it was too cold and dark for them to do PT in the mornings. And we had to get to school!

Also had better chow halls there, again matching Air Force expectations. Shit was good, even better training later on an Air Force Base. They had a huge cafeteria set up like a nice hospital would have with civilian workers there cooking to order.

I was fine not joining the Air Force, but having their lifestyle dangled in front of us was cruel. Always been a good snob so was hard to go back to some Private scooping slop once I got to an actual Army base.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
I dated a Navy girl who went there, we got stationed in Hawaii listening to Chinese comms.

Air force is definitely the way to go. Their apartments were insane.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I dated a Navy girl who went there, we got stationed in Hawaii listening to Chinese comms.

Air force is definitely the way to go. Their apartments were insane.

Yeah, on an AFB for training we had shitty barracks and drill sergeants after being a year out of basic, they had "dorms" with maid and laundry service.

• 1Clown World

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Monterey is a little beach town. They have a really nice aquarium there. I knew about that language school because I flew into there once and the plane was full of military guys going to learn various languages.
that aquarium is very tits amazing, could have spent a whole day there (just did the afternoon hitting the spots on the coast)

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone use any of the prepared meal companies that they like other than Hello Fresh? We started using it in December but I am starting to not feel like it's a good value. 3 meals for 4 people ends up being about $100 a week after all of our promos ran out a couple weeks ago.

Might just cycle through the other options like Blue Plate, Freshly, etc. and accumulate recipes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone use any of the prepared meal companies that they like other than Hello Fresh? We started using it in December but I am starting to not feel like it's a good value. 3 meals for 4 people ends up being about $100 a week after all of our promos ran out a couple weeks ago.

Might just cycle through the other options like Blue Plate, Freshly, etc. and accumulate recipes.
those meals only make sense if you use a coupon
aa188ec367b7bf59ab7c917624b5b1a9.png

otherwise youre paying 30$ a meal for 2 ppl? this better be (2) 24oz tbone steaks and a few broccoli stems thrown in, and even then you'll fuck it up cuz why else would you be ordering a delivery service?
962672506c2d2c1c27dfe1ff9a5dbfd0.png

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes that’s why I’m saying it’s not worth it after the coupon, but thank you for the Publix flyer.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users