Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Spicy food should be spicy enough that it affects how fast you would have otherwise ate it. It's a shame that's so relative and can't be normalized. I usually order my Pad Thai with a 4, hoping that means 4 squeezes out of whatever plastic bottle they use to generically spice food. But even then, the spice level is all over the fucking place.
you only get 4 levels of spice w/ thai

white man no spice
white man spicy
thai hot
really thai hot hot (if you say hot hot, they know that means really spicy, idk why, it's just cuz)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
you only get 4 levels of spice w/ thai

white man no spice
white man spicy
thai hot
really thai hot hot (if you say hot hot, they know that means really spicy, idk why, it's just cuz)

Whats the secret code word to get a lady boy though?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Spicy food should be spicy enough that it affects how fast you would have otherwise ate it. It's a shame that's so relative and can't be normalized. I usually order my Pad Thai with a 4, hoping that means 4 squeezes out of whatever plastic bottle they use to generically spice food. But even then, the spice level is all over the fucking place.

It cannot be really normalized because everyone has a different tolerance. Also tolerance changes based on how much of the shit you eat. I got my wife out of the white boy mild by feeding her more and more spicy shit over time. Shes now in the white boy hot area and to her mild could be considered no spice. And to her now white boy hot is now mild. Get what im saying here?

I guess you could go on the scoville scale but even then its all relative to person eating it other than the far end of the scale when its just burn your ass hole hot regardless.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Normalized from one visit to another would be nice, though. For instance, local taco truck that makes serrano salsa that is sometimes nearly tasteless, sometimes tastes spicy, sometimes burns. Have to carefully check it before your first real bite so you don't accidentally breathe in on a strong spice day.

Asian food annoys me when all the spicy dishes taste like they just squirted in Sriracha. A good spicy diah should have spice cooked in, not squirted on.

Best Thai last place I lived didn't do any spice scale. Dishes had various spice levels because that's how the dish was served. Pad Thai never spicy, but always amazing. Massaman spicy but subtle and offset with the sweetness. Red curry would make you sweat. Drunk noodle would blow your ass out. Was consistent and dishes tasted unique and never just like Sriracha squirted on everything like some places.

On topic of spicy, Trader Joe's has a red ripe jalapeno hot sauce that is quicky becoming my favorite ever. And was in a nearby hispanical town and found some huichol hot sauce that I hope is good too. Exciting times for my morning eggs.

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
an additional factor is that peppers both don't breed true AND are highly variable on the potency of each fruit on a bush.

Good cooks should be tasting things and correcting as they go.

But when you are prepping and cooking to a production volume, sometimes people skip it and hope things average out (since they know the recipe is solid on its own)

Brad2770

I’m buying a second one this morning. See you guys in 15 and 30 days.

E9367730-CDCE-4BE0-A214-3335DD05E0EC.jpeg
C65C11C2-B966-4AF5-B6D5-E1048C5994B3.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I’m buying a second one this morning. See you guys in 15 and 30 days.

View attachment 398167View attachment 398168
Dude go longer. 45-60 days. Anything less than 30 isn't really going to do much. Once you start getting out to 90 or 120 things get pretty weird but enjoyable, it's just a radically different flavor. It almost gets into a blue cheese type territory mixed with some type of charcuterie.

I really find that 45 to 60 maybe pushing towards 70 gets the flavor I personally enjoy the most.

Back before he was cancelled, I used to enjoy the Nick Solares steak vids. He did one on eating different dry-aged steaks, and I trust his opinion and ability to describe flavor. Really kind of opened my eyes up to trying different lengths of time for aging.

It just sucks that that channel got rid of him because apparently he said racist stuff 30 years ago. Now they got two hipster fags doing the episodes.

• 2Like

Brad2770

I was already considering changing to 30 and 45, but I can’t go more than that to start. My kid will be eating some and I don’t want to scare him off. Plus, it’s going to be difficult to wait that long. I definitely plan on doing more when the time comes.

I did order the wrong sized Umai bags. Didn’t realize there were ones specifically for bone-in. Those bags will be here tomorrow.

16A306A9-65A5-4953-B88E-87466D34914A.jpeg

** My kid said he would try 45 and 60, so 45/60 it is.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I love this, cant wait to hear about the results. I dont have the patience for this kind of home cuisine. I'd just get hungry knowing they are within arms reach and cut the project short to feast

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was already considering changing to 30 and 45, but I can’t go more than that to start. My kid will be eating some and I don’t want to scare him off. Plus, it’s going to be difficult to wait that long. I definitely plan on doing more when the time comes.

I did order the wrong sized Umai bags. Didn’t realize there were ones specifically for bone-in. Those bags will be here tomorrow.

View attachment 398199

** My kid said he would try 45 and 60, so 45/60 it is.
imagine not using your kroger card...

• 2Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't even think of buying such large hunks of meat at a Kroger/Fredyes/Safeway or other "normal" supermarket. if you want giant cuts of meat for good prices, that's what cash'n'carry or another restaurant supply shop is for. Or Costco.

Although it looks like your price does beat mine, so hell, what do I know?

1644781782364.png

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Alright bros I think this is the most appropriate thread.

Should I talk my mother out of buying this stove? Seems perfectly fine for the price point.
Doesn't look bad, and it's on sale. I'm sure it would probably be fine. Guess it really depends on how much she cooks and what type of cooking she does.

If she's without a stove right now, it's probably a good deal, but if she just looking to upgrade there may be better options.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The only thing I recommend with new appliances, especially for old timers, is one with less electronic circuitry and more mechanic dials.

That one looks like it isn't too bad with electronic circuitry, just the normal oven controls. All the range controls are still mechanical and its gas, which is just easier for old people to understand. Looks reasonable enough.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Went to Chicago this week and was surprised that we stumbled upon Andy's polish market.

They sell this particular smoked cheese that is pretty common in it East Europe but I have never seen the real stuff in any European market in the USA before. It's called Oscypek and this places sells the real deal. Sometimes you can get stuff called Oscypek but it's actually something else. You can tell by the potency of the smoke flavor and texture and that it should come in a nice beautiful conical or more cylinder shape.

We like grilling it with sour jam. If you like cheeses I highly recommend it.

PXL_20220214_132121185.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I (accidentally) left a prime brisket in the vacuum bag for over 60 days. I might have detailed the experience in this thread, but when I opened the bag there was a very powerful sulfur smell and I thought it was bad. After a bit of research I found out that this is normal for aged meat and it smoking it as normal yielded one of the tastiest briskets I have ever made. It just fell apart. I definitely recommend it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

I have one more large bag and 3 smaller bags. I think I’m going to find three cheap beef tenderloins for the smaller bags and a brisket for the larger bag. It will need to be when I have more room in the fridge.