Gravy's Cooking Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Special bags or just regular vacuum seal? Special prep or just leave them in the fridge? Trim the outside or just cook from the bag?

I looked into turning a mini fridge into a dry, open aging system. But the part where you had to cut the outside off because it isn't safe to eat is a no-go with my girlfriend's health issues.

If bag aging is easier and safer I might risk it though.

Brad2770

No trimming. It will turn into pelicose you trim later. Just transfer straight from wet aging shipping bag into dry aging bag. Just make sure you have a good vacuum sealer and follow the instructions to a T or you will ruin the bag. Maybe watch a couple of videos.

This is the video that started it off for me, so I have been putting it off for awhile.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Special bags or just regular vacuum seal? Special prep or just leave them in the fridge? Trim the outside or just cook from the bag?

I looked into turning a mini fridge into a dry, open aging system. But the part where you had to cut the outside off because it isn't safe to eat is a no-go with my girlfriend's health issues.

If bag aging is easier and safer I might risk it though.
theres two types of bag aging, dry aged bags w/ a permeable membrance that Brad2770 Brad2770 is doing right now and wet aging where it's vacuum sealed like normal and stored in the fridge

Brad2770

I know it has only been four days, but I figured if I had messed up, I would see some kind of oxidation by now, but all I’m noticing is that it’s turning a dark red. They are looking pretty good.

The temperature is normally around 34 degrees, but had the fridge open a sec to take the pic abs that thermometer is pretty sensitive.

48A31692-F6C8-44B6-A33B-413DBE62EA84.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I broke the glass lid of my 13 year old rice cooker today. It had a good run for being a $20 thing.

I am going to bougie it up and get a Zojirushi this time though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Where do you get the made in Japan ones?
amazon has em, the horrible thing about zoji for rice is that there are so many models, thats why you have to look for the made in japan, as long as it starts out

zojirush N(and a bunch of other letters) it'll be N for north american english lang and plug

if you want a quick list i can throw one up for you, also if you want a low down on the zojis i can too, i just know ppl hate when i get nerdy

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure the Panasonic one I had for 13 years was made in China. Worked fine too so as much as I don't want to buy shit from China, I am reluctant to spend $500 on a fuckin rice cooker.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ditto this. Parents promised me a rice cooker for a housewarming gift, so want to make sure I ask for the right one. You wouldn't have a recommendation for a solid wok, too, would you?
2 absolute requirements are it has to be a round wok
71F6xDQS-qL._AC_SX466_.jpg

(means you have gas, just put a ring under it)
0137524734faaf4fbe8ecb0c15541027.png

and carbon steel

if you have gas and are willing to put a ring on it when you cook (just put it on top when you want to whip out the wok, all asians just have it on the stove 24/7)

then we can talk shop

the cheapest thin carbon steel round wok in an asian grocer is great, but if would highly look out for a "hammered" wok, this means it's been hammered out (either by machine or crazy smith) and you can tell by the round hammer marks
ce19a6d531b346b2556a5986332d7216.png

i got mine from amazon (its an asian grocer in san fran that exports their retail store) if you have gas and want to go this route i can throw up links if you want.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Koushirou Koushirou Wok is 100% worthless if you don't have a proper burner for it that gives it more surface area to work with. Just saying. Unless you have one special or something to fit onto a normal gas range.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I make pretty decent rice with a sauce pan and a lid. What’s the advantages of a rice cooker?
You just put it in press a button and walk away. Real convenient. The Zojirushi ones can be timed and shit too so you can get more clever with it.

• 1Like