Gravy's Cooking Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Wanted some massaman curry but didn't have coconut milk or potatoes. So did a brown gravy with beef broth and added it to massaman curry instead of the coconut milk. Let it cook down quite a bit. Didn't have potatoes due to making mashed potatoes, so just served over the mashed potatoes. Was a bit weird, but really good.

Might do it again as a proper stew or just start adding some massaman (or red curry might be better) to brown gravy or pan sauces without the veggies or meat. A+ will experiment again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yea that looks great
You really have to temper the damn thing yourself?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm just better off with a cheap flat bottomed cast iron one from the grocery store. How often do you have to use a wok to justify all that trouble?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You really have to temper the damn thing yourself?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm just better off with a cheap flat bottomed cast iron one from the grocery store. How often do you have to use a wok to justify all that trouble?
it comes pre-seasoned already

wok is my main cookware 5 out of 7days a week

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So for carbon steel 'pre-seasoned' means already tempered?

Where did you order yours?
idk what you mean by tempering, if your referring to having to bond oil to the carbon steel for a slick/non stick surface thats seasoning

tempering is the term used in the making of

mine was unseasoned from amazon

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
idk what you mean by tempering, if your referring to having to bond oil to the carbon steel for a slick/non stick surface thats seasoning

tempering is the term used in the making of

mine was unseasoned from amazon
What I'm saying is that the woks I was looking at on Amazon are sold untempered, which means they don't season properly and start rusting immediately. If the one you bought has stood up to that much use then it must have come already tempered.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What I'm saying is that the woks I was looking at on Amazon are sold untempered, which means they don't season properly and start rusting immediately. If the one you bought has stood up to that much use then it must have come already tempered.
carbon steel, it's gonna rust if you leave a drop of water on it, if you don't want to deal w/ rust, then you get a stainless steel/alloy wok

to prevent this, clean (carbon steel wok) immediately after cooking, run wok under water, clean with chainmail, put back on stove, high heat for 30s to evap water and that it

• 1Like

Brad2770

60 day looks like a little bit of oxidation and some (acceptable) mold.

24F2BD30-2025-4B10-AFAC-6EA71E5E02D5.jpeg
451DDAA3-5A2C-46FC-BFB7-CB9DF918605C.jpeg

45 looks better, but that doesn’t really mean anything. Have to wait until I cut into it.

A471961D-A62D-4F4A-9758-65DABEBB208D.jpeg
BEAF46EB-3F3D-4B3B-8A38-EBBC797FCD7E.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've seen some amazingly marbled wagyu steaks at the grocery store, but now also seeing wagyu sirloin. Would wagyu sirloin improve what is usually a low fat/marbling steak to make it worth it or just be pointless because there isn't enough fat/marbling to improve.

Not really buying any with an already strained budget that is only getting worse, just curious.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've seen some amazingly marbled wagyu steaks at the grocery store, but now also seeing wagyu sirloin. Would wagyu sirloin improve what is usually a low fat/marbling steak to make it worth it or just be pointless because there isn't enough fat/marbling to improve.

Not really buying any with an already strained budget that is only getting worse, just curious.
It depends on the purveyor. Just because it's labeled wagyu or American wagyu doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a superior cut of meat. I know the HEB here in town was getting there waygu steaks from some supplier and they were pretty lackluster in comparison to a prime cut. You could sit there and look at steaks side by side and the prime would look as good if not better. They ended up changing suppliers and their product has been more consistent and appetizing.

I'll occasionally pick up waygu, but that's only if I just looks like it's got the marbling I want. My wife likes sirloins in general, and I picked up some wagyu top round not too long ago that I believe was miss marked price wise. It was a very nice deep red, with a fair amount of marbling for that particular cut. Vacuum packed it all up and tossed it in the freezer.

I guess long story short is my experience with buying cheaper cuts of wagyu will typically yield decent results as long as you just look at the piece of meat and are happy with what you're buying. If I'm buying waygu I want lots of fat. Need to look like it's got more than prime otherwise what's the point

We've been just been buying odd cuts of meat when I see them to see what type of results I can get to replace typical steaks that have gone through the roof. I've been buying wagyu chuck roasts lately when they get put on sale as long as it looks like the marbling is fantastic. They're in the 20ish range, but you get three and a half to 4 lb of meat. Cut the roast into two thick steaks and reverse sear. Monitor your temp, and after rested just make certain to slice everything against the grain, and they turn out wonderfully. It's not necessarily the most pretty but it tastes wonderful and as long as you cut up the different muscles appropriately, you're good to go. I refuse to pay $30 a pound for Ribeyes when I can get something just as delectable for a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm tempted to do what Brad2770 Brad2770 just doing with aging those primals, but age a couple of chuck roasts instead. I just don't have the fridge space but the smaller piece of meat like that would be a fun and easier deal.

• 1Like

Brad2770

It depends on the purveyor. Just because it's labeled wagyu or American wagyu doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a superior cut of meat. I know the HEB here in town was getting there waygu steaks from some supplier and they were pretty lackluster in comparison to a prime cut. You could sit there and look at steaks side by side and the prime would look as good if not better. They ended up changing suppliers and their product has been more consistent and appetizing.

I'll occasionally pick up waygu, but that's only if I just looks like it's got the marbling I want. My wife likes sirloins in general, and I picked up some wagyu top round not too long ago that I believe was miss marked price wise. It was a very nice deep red, with a fair amount of marbling for that particular cut. Vacuum packed it all up and tossed it in the freezer.

I guess long story short is my experience with buying cheaper cuts of wagyu will typically yield decent results as long as you just look at the piece of meat and are happy with what you're buying. If I'm buying waygu I want lots of fat. Need to look like it's got more than prime otherwise what's the point

We've been just been buying odd cuts of meat when I see them to see what type of results I can get to replace typical steaks that have gone through the roof. I've been buying wagyu chuck roasts lately when they get put on sale as long as it looks like the marbling is fantastic. They're in the 20ish range, but you get three and a half to 4 lb of meat. Cut the roast into two thick steaks and reverse sear. Monitor your temp, and after rested just make certain to slice everything against the grain, and they turn out wonderfully. It's not necessarily the most pretty but it tastes wonderful and as long as you cut up the different muscles appropriately, you're good to go. I refuse to pay $30 a pound for Ribeyes when I can get something just as delectable for a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm tempted to do what Brad2770 Brad2770 just doing with aging those primals, but age a couple of chuck roasts instead. I just don't have the fridge space but the smaller piece of meat like that would be a fun and easier deal.

I’m picking up a chuck roast or two today to dry age for some hamburger. If it makes for a better tasting burger, I’ll use it in some stew and chili as well. Have to use those smaller bags for something.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I’m picking up a chuck roast or two today to dry age for some hamburger. If it makes for a better tasting burger, I’ll use it in some stew and chili as well. Have to use those smaller bags for something.
You should dry age a cheap brisket and turn that into burger meat. But I don't know if there is such a thing as a cheap brisket any longer. Please post some pics once you get them set up I'll be curious to see what your results are. Maybe do one for grinding and then just cook the other intact. Or cut it up in a chuck steaks.

Damn it I'm going to have to clean out room in my fridge to start dry aging with those bags.

Brad2770

You should dry age a cheap brisket and turn that into burger meat. But I don't know if there is such a thing as a cheap brisket any longer. Please post some pics once you get them set up I'll be curious to see what your results are. Maybe do one for grinding and then just cook the other intact. Or cut it up in a chuck steaks.

Damn it I'm going to have to clean out room in my fridge to start dry aging with those bags.

Your wish is my command sir

36D02D11-00DE-4E96-BDDD-C7EC3D5B2C07.jpeg

• 1Trump

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know. The chuck roast was over $6. That’s why I went with this.
talk to your me kroger meat guys next, they know the schedule of sales, mine told me brisket goes on sale every 6-7weeks for 2.49... well now w/ bidenflation its 2.99, it's not usually advertised in the flyer for some reason

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
talk to your me kroger meat guys next, they know the schedule of sales, mine told me brisket goes on sale every 6-7weeks for 2.49... well now w/ bidenflation its 2.99, it's not usually advertised in the flyer for some reason
I think I'm going to have to swing by Kroger's soon. HEB has been fucktastic with their pricing lately, but if there's a deal to be had over at Krogers I'm game. I just never shopped there because most of the Staples that we pick up are more expensive, but I'm not opposed to hitting different stores to get the most competitive price on food.