Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't really want or need a gigantic 10 up one though. 5.5 is the highest I'd get and this one is 10.
oh yea they have smaller models too, 5.5 cup too, i just threw up the 10cup one, i have had a "need" for 10cups as of yet

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also, when these cookers talk about capacity, I'm assuming it's the uncooked rice capacity?
yea, you'll see exacting measurements of putting washed rice in and fill up to the line, if you put in 3cups of rice and water up to the line, when it's done it'll expand out to the 5cup line
44e37c5b0ac04d2c943744e56c6a9220.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll be getting it here it looks like.

cool, thats the one i have the 5.5cup model, one quality of life complaint i have is that the cord isn't retractable and thats it

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
On my electric glass cooktop my big cast iron wok does okay. Has a wider flat bottom that heats well. Gets as hot as my vent fan and smoke alarms will allow, which is still not usually as hot as I would prefer. Different style of wok cooking than a lighter carbon steel, so have to time stuff well and/or make use of the cooler sides or cooking in stages.

The problem is most home kitchens aren't able to handle the actual temps you want for wok cooking, or even proper searing a steak, or pizza, etc. At some point I want to install a commercial fan system and high temp grill and gas burners (and an induction burner particularly for deep frying because it works so well to keep temps consistent).

But until the the cast iron wok on the glass cooktop with the stove fan on "high" and a desk fan on a stool blowing up at the closest smoke alarm and my dog running outside if it does go off will have to do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
On my electric glass cooktop my big cast iron wok does okay. Has a wider flat bottom that heats well. Gets as hot as my vent fan and smoke alarms will allow, which is still not usually as hot as I would prefer. Different style of wok cooking than a lighter carbon steel, so have to time stuff well and/or make use of the cooler sides or cooking in stages.

The problem is most home kitchens aren't able to handle the actual temps you want for wok cooking, or even proper searing a steak, or pizza, etc. At some point I want to install a commercial fan system and high temp grill and gas burners (and an induction burner particularly for deep frying because it works so well to keep temps consistent).

But until the the cast iron wok on the glass cooktop with the stove fan on "high" and a desk fan on a stool blowing up at the closest smoke alarm and my dog running outside if it does go off will have to do.
you can try the iwatani 12k, propane
d83ccfe3b029ed5d8190581760fe8cf0.png

bonus is that the grill grates are seated and deep enough to not use a wok ring so you can use a round bottom

theres also a 15k

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
you can try the iwatani 12k, propane
d83ccfe3b029ed5d8190581760fe8cf0.png

bonus is that the grill grates are seated and deep enough to not use a wok ring so you can use a round bottom

theres also a 15k

Yeah, have looked at some, but the first step in a very expensive process is a upgraded vent system. Have a portable induction burner that I use for frying which works okay on the kitchen island. Would want a gas burner for high heat cooking under the vent fan, though, just isn't feasible as is.

The previous owner put in an amazing kitchen that is huge with tons of cabinets and countertops, but a tiny 30 inch cooktop and shit vent fan. It's wonky. For instance, most times I bend down to taste something I risk hitting my head on the current hood fan. It's weird and low.

Might just start cooking outside. Would solve multiple issues.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, have looked at some, but the first step in a very expensive process is a upgraded vent system. Have a portable induction burner that I use for frying which works okay on the kitchen island. Would want a gas burner for high heat cooking under the vent fan, though, just isn't feasible as is.

The previous owner put in an amazing kitchen that is huge with tons of cabinets and countertops, but a tiny 30 inch cooktop and shit vent fan. It's wonky. For instance, most times I bend down to taste something I risk hitting my head on the current hood fan. It's weird and low.

Might just start cooking outside. Would solve multiple issues.
at least it's a hood fan and not a microwave fan recirculator

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
@Koushirou Wok is 100% worthless if you don't have a proper burner for it that gives it more surface area to work with. Just saying. Unless you have one special or something to fit onto a normal gas range.
You can always use a charcoal chimney and place your work on top of it. Little bit more of a pain in the ass but you can get some super hot temps. Always dump the charcoal in your grill when done and get some smokiness on some other components for your dish.

Also, I think I saw Kenji make a video where he pops the diffuser off the burner on a gas range to get it more concentrated flame. I haven't tried this but he seems to typically know his shit.

I think you're still better off using a standalone propane burner you'd use for frying or crawfish boils. Again it's having to dick around with something outside, but if you're making a great meal on the weekend it's worth the effort.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I mostly use my flat bottomed wok for deep frying things. I like to imagine that because of the wide top you get less spatter and if you're frying things with a stick in them they lean against the edge really nicely. I went to a Chinese guy I know (actually born in China and spoke Chinese better than English) when I first got a wok and asked him for tips and he said woks are stupid and you should just use a cast iron pan for stir fry so that's what I do.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That seems like a weird thing to say, for stir fry specifically. I love my cast iron cookware but stir fry is constant flipping/mixing at high temps and it's hard to do that with a heavy cast iron pan because of how heavy they are. The higher sides on a Wok also seem better suited to that kind of dish on top of how much lighter they are.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
woks are stupid and you should just use a cast iron pan for stir fry so that's what I do.

Funny, and people probably over use and over value woks, but my giant ass cast iron wok provides more surface area and doesn't get overcrowded, so I can actually stir fry. A lot of stir frying I see people doing in regular pans is actually just sauteeing.

I've done stir fry in my 12inch All Clad no problem (holds up to high temps in a way my generic Cuisinart stainless doesn't), but have to do batches or it just starts to steam or sautee everything.

Cast iron pans usually have straight sides that have the same problem as the don't release enough steam, so sautee or soupy.

A ripping hot cast iron wok served a specific function that most people using works aren't taking advantage of, which then yeah a wok is dumb and just use a pan.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That seems like a weird thing to say, for stir fry specifically. I love my cast iron cookware but stir fry is constant flipping/mixing at high temps and it's hard to do that with a heavy cast iron pan because of how heavy they are. The higher sides on a Wok also seem better suited to that kind of dish on top of how much lighter they are.

Flippy carbon steel woking is a different style than mixing/tossing with spatula in a cast iron wok. Both work, but neither are replaced by using a cast iron pan. Even a giant cast iron pan just isn't the same tool as a cast iron wok, even though the approach would need to be the same since you're right nobody is tossing stir fry in anything cast iron. So not sure what that China man was talking about.

I sometimes even get frustrated at the high, straight sides of my cast iron pans for searing steaks and often my 12 inch All Clad does the job better because it lets off more steam.

Need Lanx Lanx to chime in and explain the comments of the Random china man.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need Lanx Lanx to chime in and explain the comments of the Random china man.
probably one of those ccp dudes that got indoctrinated into cowboy culture, wears an 18 gallon hat and levis

theres a reason why asians cook w/ a wok, it's to get wok hai/wok "air"

i mean how do you grow up asian and suddenly say chopsticks are silly.

you know what, i don't even cook or use chopsticks most of the time no more, i can get by with a long korean spoon or a whitey fork, but my cutlery tray will never have AT LEAST 20pairs of chopsticks, 3 of them from different regions and even 2 disposable chopsticks that i have around just in case to give to nasty white ppl to use

but i do know asians that reject asian culture, its like those male feminists that scream "white cis man bad!!!"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This was when I lived in California. He definitely didn't reject Asian culture. He was in a constant fight with his teenage daughters because he wanted them to speak Mandarin but they would only speak English. His cousin ran a Chinese restaurant and he took a group of us there for lunch weekly. He taught me a few things about cooking Chinese food so the wok thing was interesting to me. I can't remember if he used chopsticks at the Chinese place but I don't think so.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This was when I lived in California. He definitely didn't reject Asian culture. He was in a constant fight with his teenage daughters because he wanted them to speak Mandarin but they would only speak English. His cousin ran a Chinese restaurant and he took a group of us there for lunch weekly. He taught me a few things about cooking Chinese food so the wok thing was interesting to me. I can't remember if he used chopsticks at the Chinese place but I don't think so.
hates the wok, has brother that depends on wok for a living

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
2 absolute requirements are it has to be a round wok
71F6xDQS-qL._AC_SX466_.jpg

(means you have gas, just put a ring under it)
0137524734faaf4fbe8ecb0c15541027.png

and carbon steel

if you have gas and are willing to put a ring on it when you cook (just put it on top when you want to whip out the wok, all asians just have it on the stove 24/7)

then we can talk shop

the cheapest thin carbon steel round wok in an asian grocer is great, but if would highly look out for a "hammered" wok, this means it's been hammered out (either by machine or crazy smith) and you can tell by the round hammer marks
ce19a6d531b346b2556a5986332d7216.png

i got mine from amazon (its an asian grocer in san fran that exports their retail store) if you have gas and want to go this route i can throw up links if you want.
so like

or do you have a different suggestion? Also its really annoying that I can't see amazon links lol