Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think I'm going to have to swing by Kroger's soon. HEB has been fucktastic with their pricing lately, but if there's a deal to be had over at Krogers I'm game. I just never shopped there because most of the Staples that we pick up are more expensive, but I'm not opposed to hitting different stores to get the most competitive price on food.
try basket app first basket dot com

it'll tell you what are the cheapest "anything" is in your area, of course its like gas buddy so it depends on user submitted stuff, still if it can save you a trip (it's how i priced out that costco for meat isn't worth it in this area since it's the same price as kroger sales, i'd rather not goto so many different places to buy shit)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
try basket app first basket dot com

it'll tell you what are the cheapest "anything" is in your area, of course its like gas buddy so it depends on user submitted stuff, still if it can save you a trip (it's how i priced out that costco for meat isn't worth it in this area since it's the same price as kroger sales, i'd rather not goto so many different places to buy shit)
No clue that that app existed. Thank you sir

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you guys have a GFS by you (Gordon Food Stores) basically sells shit for restaurants, they still have some good prices on beef. Got some really nice chuck last week for like $4.50 lb which is not bad. Big ass bag with like 10 lbs, but you can split and freeze. They also have some good prices on ground chuck too 82%, big ole 10 lbs tube for like $35? $25? Dont remember, but def better prices than Kroger. They also have whole brisket and other shit too like pork butt. Some of their frozen shit is good too. 10lb box of good frozen gyro meat for $25? Fucking SOLD, Gyros for days.

Plus they sell some nice quality aluminum non stick lined skillets too of all sizes, knives, napkins, all kinds of food service shit thats good quality and cheaper than the usual.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't labeling something wagyu not regulated at all? A few years ago it was a big problem because restaurants would label things as like "wagyu burger" and it was just a regular burger.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Isn't labeling something wagyu not regulated at all? A few years ago it was a big problem because restaurants would label things as like "wagyu burger" and it was just a regular burger.
yea wagyu is just "cattle from japan", while kobe beef, the specific of japanese cattle is regulated

it's like you can say i got some "french wine" but i can't call my grape juice champange cuz of regulation

i'm sure BrutulTM BrutulTM can give us the better run down for obvious reasons.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you guys have a GFS by you (Gordon Food Stores) basically sells shit for restaurants, they still have some good prices on beef. Got some really nice chuck last week for like $4.50 lb which is not bad. Big ass bag with like 10 lbs, but you can split and freeze. They also have some good prices on ground chuck too 82%, big ole 10 lbs tube for like $35? $25? Dont remember, but def better prices than Kroger. They also have whole brisket and other shit too like pork butt. Some of their frozen shit is good too. 10lb box of good frozen gyro meat for $25? Fucking SOLD, Gyros for days.

Plus they sell some nice quality aluminum non stick lined skillets too of all sizes, knives, napkins, all kinds of food service shit thats good quality and cheaper than the usual.
at least for me, gfs can bought by instacart (i wouldn't of course) so you can use instacart to see your local gfc prices

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wagyu literally just means Japanese Cow. Kobe Beef specifically refers to beef from the Tajima strain of Japanese Black cattle.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know that much about it, but my understanding is that Kobe beef has to be produced in Japan, where Wagyu is produced in the US from animals that were either imported from Japan or the descendants of them. Some of them may be crossed with American breeds as well. You can be certified wagyu by the USDA with animals that are only 50% Japanese breeds. Of course breeding is only part of it. It also makes a difference how they are fed. It could technically grade "Select" and still be Wagyu but that wouldn't be what you would expect buying it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Wagyu isn't technically the same in America as Japan, but there is still an expectation and for most cuts I've seen in person it holds true.

Didn't see the sirloin in person, just in an ad for $2 more per pound than regular ($6 vs $4). Seemed too cheap and wondered if wagyu would even be better on such a low fat/marbled cut of steak.

Wagyu rib eyes in the store look amazing, but are way more expensive. Definitely not just marketing. Thought maybe the sirloin don't have the same benefit so get sold on the cheap, probably more just marketing.

Anyhow, and fine with cheap rib eyes that fit into my budget. Did a taragon chimichuri last night because I had parsley left over from making chowder. Didn't think I'd like it, but did.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
only one left and these were not advertised
(ribs were but i bought this instead b/c i only have room for 1 in the chest freezer)
20220310_085209.jpg

so check the app too to make sure. you see deals

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

Kroger has Chuck Roasts this week for, I think, $3.67 lb. I’m going this weekend. I’m going to have a 2 ribeye roasts, a brisket, and two Chuck roasts dry aging.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Had a hankering for some Pesto and ended up making a really nice lunch that surprised even me. Toasted French bread, Roasted Chicken, Pesto, Peppadew sweet & hot peppers, Marinated sun-dried tomatoes, Buffalo mozzarella.

A very clean and delicious sandwich. I think next time I'll make it on Ciabatta bread.

• 5Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Brad2770

So, the thought of turning a dry aged brisket into burgers was a bad idea, so bought a 14 lb angus chuck roast this morning for $50. I’ll be trimming about 3 lbs off of the end to fit the larger portion into the dry age bag and freeze the smaller portion for stew meat. The other 11 lbs will be dry aged for burgers. Probably 45 days.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Personally I would have waited for some results before committing so much meat to bags. Unless you already have done that and I missed it.

Brad2770

Mostly just research on the bags and people I do know that have ate dry age. I love meat. I don’t think I’ll have an issue with it. Go big or go home!

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So, the thought of turning a dry aged brisket into burgers was a bad idea, so bought a 14 lb angus chuck roast this morning for $50. I’ll be trimming about 3 lbs off of the end to fit the larger portion into the dry age bag and freeze the smaller portion for stew meat. The other 11 lbs will be dry aged for burgers. Probably 45 days.
what happened to the brisket in the end?

Brad2770

what happened to the brisket in the end?

I’m bagging for dry age it this weekend along with the chuck roast. I needed to clear some room in the fridge and get more trays.

BC5A1C27-7F41-4A92-B325-CA97D7140941.jpeg
450CA1E3-BD42-4ECA-BE9F-2FE62DB00BA1.jpeg

Just need to get the trays. Chuck roast on the left. That will be 45 days. Brisket in the right will be 60 days.

D93AEC47-7989-401A-B6C1-A5E1262A643B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Pretty cool. You will learn about the different grades of beef in Japanese terms too!

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
after my last brisket on monday i took all my fat trimmings (probably 8lbs worth?) and made beef tallow

i just dumped it all in an instapot and pressure cooked it. strained w/ a coffee filter and got 1 and 1/2 prego bottles of beef tallow. note if youre doing this your gonna have to pour out the water that settles on the bottom once it solidifies and turns white (otherwise i'd have 2+ prego bottles, but you want to pour out the water to prevent spoilage)

this will be exclusively for french fries, idk what else i'd use it for

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

after my last brisket on monday i took all my fat trimmings (probably 8lbs worth?) and made beef tallow

i just dumped it all in an instapot and pressure cooked it. strained w/ a coffee filter and got 1 and 1/2 prego bottles of beef tallow. note if youre doing this your gonna have to pour out the water that settles on the bottom once it solidifies and turns white (otherwise i'd have 2+ prego bottles, but you want to pour out the water to prevent spoilage)

this will be exclusively for french fries, idk what else i'd use it for

I want to try pemmican next after all the meats in the fridge finish their processes. I’ll need tallow for that.