Gravy's Cooking Thread

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I mentioned burrata and no one even blinked.

But I mention cottage cheese and everyone loses their minds

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
On some other thread someone mentioned making bacon in the smoker.

Imma do that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Between this and the uncle roger fried rice video, what don't the british measure with tea cups?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Go Ahead Yes GIF

What did you rub it down with? Looks like just coarse black pepper and salt. Regardless I'm sure it's going to turn out great. Post some pics of the final results.
oops already sliced it and packed it away, i know ppl askin why you slick pulled pork? and it's cuz it's easier to make a sandwich like delimeat instead of shredded lettuce

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oops already sliced it and packed it away, i know ppl askin why you slick pulled pork? and it's cuz it's easier to make a sandwich like delimeat instead of shredded lettuce
Yeah, I don't like pulled pork where every meat fiber is separated. The texture is just mush. I'll slice it or at least separate to bigger chunks.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This summer ive been just slicing the pork butts into thin steaks, marinading them or just seasoning them up and doing them up on the grill, kuind of a med low heat. Later slice the steaks into little strips and make tacos and wraps with them. It gets eaten up way more than pulled pork did around my house.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My wife has been volunteering at the library one morning a week for a good while now. They get a ton of different books donated constantly, and then put them up for resale in their little shop. Books are maybe anywhere from a dollar to $5. With it being the Woodlands, shes seen quite a nice variety of expensive books, and she comes home with a few each time. I guess it's a lot of older people that pass away and their kids are coming in dropping off their library. She's managed to snag some pretty cool fly fishing books in the past for me.

The biggest benefit is the amount of really good cookbooks that come through. She's managed to bring home some pretty awesome books of just different types of cuisine from all around the world. Apparently today a chef came in who was getting rid of some stuff before moving, and it sounds like he shifted over to being a pastry chef vs a regular one.

She texted me earlier sent a few pictures, and told her to come home with all of them. I was pretty shocked. Two Thomas Keller books, with a sticker price of $125 for the two of them, and she got them for like three bucks a piece. Excited to see what the sous vide one has, but it looks like I got some French cooking to do here in the future. I think the Sauce book it's going to be pretty amazing as well.

IMG_20220920_160747639_HDR.jpg

I think at the end of the day she got out of there for 20 bucks for probably $300 worth of books. I'm always happy to give them a good home to add to my collection.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife has been volunteering at the library one morning a week for a good while now. They get a ton of different books donated constantly, and then put them up for resale in their little shop. Books are maybe anywhere from a dollar to $5. With it being the Woodlands, shes seen quite a nice variety of expensive books, and she comes home with a few each time. I guess it's a lot of older people that pass away and their kids are coming in dropping off their library. She's managed to snag some pretty cool fly fishing books in the past for me.

The biggest benefit is the amount of really good cookbooks that come through. She's managed to bring home some pretty awesome books of just different types of cuisine from all around the world. Apparently today a chef came in who was getting rid of some stuff before moving, and it sounds like he shifted over to being a pastry chef vs a regular one.

She texted me earlier sent a few pictures, and told her to come home with all of them. I was pretty shocked. Two Thomas Keller books, with a sticker price of $125 for the two of them, and she got them for like three bucks a piece. Excited to see what the sous vide one has, but it looks like I got some French cooking to do here in the future. I think the Sauce book it's going to be pretty amazing as well.

View attachment 434219

I think at the end of the day she got out of there for 20 bucks for probably $300 worth of books. I'm always happy to give them a good home to add to my collection.

That's super cool. Didn't know that existed. I wonder how I can guilt you into attending some of the Woodlands charity events I help chair, without doxing myself, lol.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's super cool. Didn't know that existed. I wonder how I can guilt you into attending some of the Woodlands charity events I help chair, without doxing myself, lol.
Haha, man just shoot me a private message. The wife just started volunteering there because she was always going to the two libraries here in town, and the old ladies that work there we're just nice, she just decided to go help them out after becoming a regular. She works from home so I think it's her chance to go out and interact with people and do something different other than web development /marketing stuff.

I don't know what other volunteers things are happening in the area, and I don't necessarily volunteer for anything, but I try to do my part by always keeping garbage bags and stuff with me when I go and fish at the community ponds and walk the bank and picking up trash. Most of the park rangers know me at this point.

If it's something worth supporting, I'm sure we'd would be happy to participate, schedule permitted. Pretty cool if you're heavily involved in the neighborhood, and it's something that more people ought to be doing despite even living in a metropolitan area. I know some other guys that live here that would probably be open to participating dependant upon what it is.

Promise we won't murder you and your family and toss you on the BBQ... 😉

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like cottage cheese.
We make Slavic style cottage cheese all the time at home. The woman can't live without the stuff and it is quite hard to find the real deal in stores in TX.

It has a much drier chunkier texture than American cottage cheese. You can find an analog of "farmer's cheese" that's similar sometimes.

However, she eats that shit with fruits, sour cream, and sometimes granola. Which I cannot do.

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We make Slavic style cottage cheese all the time at home. The woman can't live without the stuff and it is quite hard to find the real deal in stores in TX.

It has a much drier chunkier texture than American cottage cheese. You can find an analog of "farmer's cheese" that's similar sometimes.

However, she eats that shit with fruits, sour cream, and sometimes granola. Which I cannot do.

Just thinking about that makes me dry heave.

• 2Worf