Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And here I was just about to brag to you that I finally got the Zojirushi you recommended (I do love this thing so far).
oh jesus christ, i can't even save this rice, i put the foodi rice in the fridge, thinking maybe at least overnight it'll get dry and hard enough for fried rice (always use day old at least refidgerated rice), and it still looks mushy!

maybe it's the recipe, i'll try to adjust w/ less water but i don't know if it'll even pressurize w/ less water.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Like it sticks to the pan? That just means it's not done cooking. Get the pan hot, thin layer of oil, and leave it on until it doesn't stick like glue.

Some cuts like steak it's less of an issue and I'll rinse and dry the meat before seering after sous vide and it works okay.

Any roasts I usually do with herbs or even a powder gravy packet or some mustard and longer so they break down more and the juices have more collagen in them so they tend to stick.

Which was perfect for getting a fond to deglaze for a sauce, but the usual advice to reverse seer for sous vide is something I've never found to be a best practice unless it's a cleaner cut of meat like steak, but even then seering first like normal has been better just not as good a crust after sous vide.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess it's just all the fat and gelatin from the connective tissue that rendered out from that particular cut? What was the original roast you used?
Arm roast without much fat on it but the only thing I did significantly different was I normally slow-cook roasts in a lipton soup mix with enough water so its about half submerged and this time I guess I used more water than usual because it was fully submerged (but just barely).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna have to reorder (if i do) soon on butcher paper, i've only ever done briskets w/ it, thoughts on switching to tin foil? the cost difference is minimal if any i would be getting either some type of dispensor box or frame tho, it's getting annoying just slicing away.

usually i use 2, 18in sheets sidexside to wrap it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Arm roast without much fat on it but the only thing I did significantly different was I normally slow-cook roasts in a lipton soup mix with enough water so its about half submerged and this time I guess I used more water than usual because it was fully submerged (but just barely).
Yes, the more water you use the more moist and easier it falls apart at the end. I try to use a roast that is just about the size of my crockpot. If you are having veggies with it even better. You can chop up the carrots and onions in big chunks and just let them cook with it. Potatoes tend to dissolve if I do that so I toss them in an hour or two before finish. But once I have meat and veggies in I fill it up to the top with broth and water and it turns out great every time. Only down side is spending the next 4-8 hours hungry as hell while the smell fills the house.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
gonna have to reorder (if i do) soon on butcher paper, i've only ever done briskets w/ it, thoughts on switching to tin foil? the cost difference is minimal if any i would be getting either some type of dispensor box or frame tho, it's getting annoying just slicing away.

usually i use 2, 18in sheets sidexside to wrap it.
To my understanding you can still get a hell of a lot more smoke flavor and maintain your bark if you're using paper versus foil. If you switch to foil it's going to be nice and tender and maintain juices but you might lose the crispiness of your bark, and you cut yourself off from additional smoke flavor.

I have seen some videos for guys are doing the foil boat method, where the brisket or ribs are brasing in their juices, but you still have open smoking heat on top to keep a nice crisp bark. Guess it really just depends on what flavor profile and texture you want at the end of the day.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll have to try paper again. I've been using just foil for the past few years.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
To my understanding you can still get a hell of a lot more smoke flavor and maintain your bark if you're using paper versus foil. If you switch to foil it's going to be nice and tender and maintain juices but you might lose the crispiness of your bark, and you cut yourself off from additional smoke flavor.
what if i wrap my brisket in paper and finish in the oven tho? i don't think i ever saw him cover that

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
what if i wrap my brisket in paper and finish in the oven tho? i don't think i ever saw him cover that
The whole point of wrapping is to get past the stall and get it up to that 190-200 range. I mean they call wrapping in foil the Texas crutch. I mean I guess you can go ahead and wrap it and throw her in the oven. If I'm not mistaken you're running a pellet smoker, so it's essentially the same deal where you can maintain a constant temperature, so I guess it just depends on whether or not you want more smoke on it.

I can understand from a convenient standpoint or maybe you get rained out, you might want to go ahead and toss it in the oven and at that point, paper is probably still going to maintain your bark versus foil. Anytime you wrap it in foil it's going to get a hell of a lot more moist, again it's just all what you're end result you're looking for is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The whole point of wrapping is to get past the stall and get it up to that 190-200 range. I mean they call wrapping in foil the Texas crutch. I mean I guess you can go ahead and wrap it and throw her in the oven. If I'm not mistaken you're running a pellet smoker, so it's essentially the same deal where you can maintain a constant temperature, so I guess it just depends on whether or not you want more smoke on it.

I can understand from a convenient standpoint or maybe you get rained out, you might want to go ahead and toss it in the oven and at that point, paper is probably still going to maintain your bark versus foil. Anytime you wrap it in foil it's going to get a hell of a lot more moist, again it's just all what you're end result you're looking for is.
yea it's just easier to finish in the oven

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea it's just easier to finish in the oven
I mean if you feel you got enough smoke / bark on it during the initial cook and you hit the stall, then wrap it with whatever toss her in the oven. At the end of the day you and your family are the people eating it and as long as you're happy with it who gives a shit.

When you get a little bit better result if you keep it in paper and continue to hit it with smoke, probably but I'm sure it'll still be extremely tasty. Again as long as it taste good to you that's all that matters.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I mean if you feel you got enough smoke / bark on it during the initial cook and you hit the stall, then wrap it with whatever toss her in the oven. At the end of the day you and your family are the people eating it and as long as you're happy with it who gives a shit.

When you get a little bit better result if you keep it in paper and continue to hit it with smoke, probably but I'm sure it'll still be extremely tasty. Again as long as it taste good to you that's all that matters.
oh yea pretty happy, i even recycle the butcher paper and just leave it in my firepit

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh yea pretty happy, i even recycle the butcher paper and just leave it in my firepit
Well it sounds like you have your answer. Happy barbecuing. Post some pictures of the next brisket you do.

I'm culturally appropriating more Asian cuisine this evening on the grill. Pretty excited.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well it sounds like you have your answer. Happy barbecuing. Post some pictures of the next brisket you do.

I'm culturally appropriating more Asian cuisine this evening on the grill. Pretty excited.
i'm doing a pork butt now to use up all the pellets in the hopper and give it a good powerwash after.
0918221539_HDR.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Go Ahead Yes GIF

What did you rub it down with? Looks like just coarse black pepper and salt. Regardless I'm sure it's going to turn out great. Post some pics of the final results.
yea pork butt is just s&p i found just fine, brisket i use lawrys salt & pepper

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I blame Soygen Soygen for sending me down this particular rabbithole.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen burrata before.

Would cottage cheese work as a replacement?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Would cottage cheese work as a replacement?

I would like to save you, and everyone in this thread, some time. The answer to this question is always no, regardless of the recipe or context.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users