Gravy's Cooking Thread

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I like to put all my ingredients into the wok while it's still cold.

Then I put it on the small back burner*, turn it to high, then go and watch TV for 30m

* electric, of course

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anybody got a good recipe for stroganoff sauce? I'd like to think I can come up with something a bit more sophisticated than lipton onion-mushroom + sour cream.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Anybody got a good recipe for stroganoff sauce? I'd like to think I can come up with something a bit more sophisticated than lipton onion-mushroom + sour cream.

I think I just make shit up each time. Have done it with cream of mushroom soup. Done a beef gravy (from scratch and using a packet) and added sour cream. It's like chili for me where I just wing it and then when really good wish I'd written it down.

To get a sense for ratios and temps I usually reference America's Test Kitchen or Serious Eats since they typically do a lot of testing. Joy of Cooking is good because it's basic but has so many recipes and info it's a good place to start and tweak from.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I think I just make shit up each time. Have done it with cream of mushroom soup. Done a beef gravy (from scratch and using a packet) and added sour cream. It's like chili for me where I just wing it and then when really good wish I'd written it down.

To get a sense for ratios and temps I usually reference America's Test Kitchen or Serious Eats since they typically do a lot of testing. Joy of Cooking is good because it's basic but has so many recipes and info it's a good place to start and tweak from.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. Basic beef gravy, and end up adding sour cream, paprika (prefer smoked), and some fresh herbs like Dill and parsley.

Just have to screw around with the ratios based upon how much meat you're cooking, and how much fat you can render. Might end up having to have more beef broth for sour cream dependent upon the viscosity I'm looking for.

You can also use a little bit of a pasta water from the egg noodles you cook to help thicken things up.

Never hurts to buy a pioneer roasted beef gravy packet and then just jazz it up if you're just doing a weeknight meal with the appropriate additions to get it that stroganoff flavor profile.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Used the infrared burner on the grill the other night to make our basil pork and shrimp in the wok, and it turned out great. Just have to get my mise en place down to shuttle ingredients in and out of the wok. All in all, was very happy with the results, we're going to make some more this weekend at some point with some different proteins and vegetables. That burner gets way hotter than I can achieve on my stove, and I don't have to worry about it smelling up the house.

IMG_20220914_193148634_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220914_195954143_HDR.jpg

• 2Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have made this a few times, my first experience with stroganoff. Not very involved just a lot of ingredients which may be on the opposite end of the spectrum from what you are looking for. You can ignore the meatball part and skip to 10:37.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
in an effort to be rid of pfoa entirely, i am sacrificing my treasured zojirushi rice cooker, it is lined w/ teflon, with the ninja foodi
d50fba0a3fe8a4660e2051169f4a212a.png

it has a ceramic coated bowl, the one bonus i like about it is that the air fryer is built in and goes to 450 and since it's 8qt, it'll replace my 6qt instapot (which i have no issue w/, it's been great and the bowl is stainless)

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
in an effort to be rid of pfoa entirely, i am sacrificing my treasured zojirushi rice cooker, it is lined w/ teflon, with the ninja foodi
d50fba0a3fe8a4660e2051169f4a212a.png

it has a ceramic coated bowl, the one bonus i like about it is that the air fryer is built in and goes to 450 and since it's 8qt, it'll replace my 6qt instapot (which i have no issue w/, it's been great and the bowl is stainless)

And here I was just about to brag to you that I finally got the Zojirushi you recommended (I do love this thing so far).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
well the noodles i thought looked good were actually cheap and i made a little too much sauce, so it was stroganoff flavored beef and noodle glop that looked pretty terrible tbh, but it tastes great so whatever.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
well the noodles i thought looked good were actually cheap and i made a little too much sauce, so it was stroganoff flavored beef and noodle glop that looked pretty terrible tbh, but it tastes great so whatever.
Corn starch slurry. Or a little roux.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Corn starch slurry. Or a little roux.
I did thicken it up with corn starch, it was just too much sauce. It's easy to mess up when you're making a slow-cooker sized meal and just sorta flying by the seat of your pants, but I think going forward I'll have the process ironed out a bit better. The important thing was that it didn't taste how it looked.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
A lot of stuff tastes better the worse it looks. I've made some pretty dingy looking country gravy that tasted amazing because I deglazed the pan instead of getting a fresh pan or didn't rinse the meat (wtf) to make sure the gravy looked pristine white. Same with Alfredo. Why waste all that flavor. But it's not always going to look great.

Edit: reverse can be true, too. Did a sous vide pork tenderloin that looked typical grey out of the water bath. Girlfriend started a mustard style sauce with juices. Seered off the pork, deglazed the pan with shaoxing China wine and a little Worcestershire. Made the meat taste and look better and turned the sauce from unappetizing grey looking to darker color that was one of my better make shit up sauces.

Still hate trying to seer meat after sous vide because it's always so sticky, but was perfect for that instance. And still want to get a culinary torch as my next gadget.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This was also probably the most tender I've ever gotten a roast in a slow-cooker. They always come apart pretty easily but yesterday's arm roast absolutely disintegrated, which contributed to the overall glop appearance.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
This was also probably the most tender I've ever gotten a roast in a slow-cooker. They always come apart pretty easily but yesterday's arm roast absolutely disintegrated, which contributed to the overall glop appearance.
I guess it's just all the fat and gelatin from the connective tissue that rendered out from that particular cut? What was the original roast you used?