Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
recently bought the kahuna xl, it's much better than the old burner i used last time that was intended for crab boils
f394016512d9db755dd750f19ec330d4.png

its been jumping from 150 to 118 every other day

the wok arms are actually too wide for my wok, i'm pretty sure it's intended for a 24" wok, which is pretty huge, probably gonna just end up taking them off, and i'll be even closer to the flame.

power delivery is pretty amazing, my induction wok can bring to boil 2cups of water in 90s, putting it on the burner, it's 20s

i just really hate cooking outside right now w/ all them dar bugs in tn, i bought aa weber grill cover to put over it to protect it from rust

Someday you need to line all of your cooking gadgets up and take a picture.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Yoder is going to be smoking for 30 hours straight over the next couple of days. Doing a brisket for a community gathering tomorrow evening and then 4 pork butts for a birthday party at noon on Saturday. I think I'll just put the butts in when I take the brisket out unless it cooks a lot faster than I expect it to.

• 1Trump
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Chinese people use woks, not pots.

GIF by VH1
exactly, we don't bake so thats where we store the pots n pans, i always leave skillet/egg pan and sauce pan out since i always use em, i don't see a point putting em away since i use either combination of those and the wok 99% of the time.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's such a fun channel to watch. Wish I had access to the stuff he forages on the daily. I guess the downside is he lives in the UK. Man knows his stuff, though, and it's neat to see / learn about what's out there for a bit of sweat equity if you had it in your backyard

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
its the same price as 3 cloves of garlic in bulk, i pick it up along w/ ginger in bulk packaging.
Yeah, bulk garlic has shot way up at our stores to .60 a bulb, and they're tiny. Totally not worth it, and I never bought pre-peeled bulk garlic in the past, but for the amount I get for the price it's a no brainer. Last a good long time stored properly, and saves a little bit of time. Not like garlic is difficult to prep.

I'll still check to see if the garlic bulbs are bigger, but it seems like it's pretty rare.

I will say I haven't seen that method, and I will have to give it a shot. I always use the chef John metal bowl method, but that one looks better.

I just buy the bulbs now if I'm throwing it into the bottom of a roasting pan with a chicken, roast beef, veggies etc, or into the boiling liquid for shrimp and stuff.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
it might be time to upgrade to a big boy smoker
1011221256_HDR.jpg

probes aren't in yet b/c this brisket is actually frozen, i used a little bit more mustard as a binder to get seasoning to stick

why frozen? well most of my briskets are frozen anyway, wanted to see how it'd do w/o a thaw (i seen youtubes and it turns out fine)

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i think Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded and mkopec mkopec are the bayou ppl?

hows this gumbo recipe? i've taken a liking to my new pressure cooker, so i really want to utilize it more
99ebe539961a1714810fc89073bcea7f.png

my only real experience w/ cajun is this chain
a5fed2c0fb0f74899e86202bdab75ae6.jpg

861c0b453b7ac7dd2f8ae832b16353aa.jpg

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i think Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded and mkopec mkopec are the bayou ppl?

hows this gumbo recipe? i've taken a liking to my new pressure cooker, so i really want to utilize it more
99ebe539961a1714810fc89073bcea7f.png

my only real experience w/ cajun is this chain
a5fed2c0fb0f74899e86202bdab75ae6.jpg

861c0b453b7ac7dd2f8ae832b16353aa.jpg
Doesn't look like a bad recipe. Should be pretty flavorful. I'd just steer clear of the chicken tenders, and opt for thighs. Some of the steps are a little unorthodox, but I guess that's because it's using the instapot deal.

I'm just used to doing everything in a big cast iron skillet to brown my proteins, and make my roux.

I say give it a shot though and see how it turns out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user