Gravy's Cooking Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it's not just that but the ease of use/practical use of an air fryer compared to a convection oven, if you were to airfry some brussel sprouts, you just have turn on the airfryer to preheat for at most 3minutes, then while it's preheating, halve em, toss em in oil s&p and youre ready to put in the airfryer 7min then flip for another 7min, so 17m including prep and youre done. while it takes that long for a convection oven to preheat to 400
Exactly this. In most instances you don’t even need to preheat an air fryer.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah, I can't stand watching anything that has Alton Brown on it, he's such a spasmodic fuckwad. However, his recipes are generally good, if fussy.
Alton Brown is the best food TV personality, hands down, and the second best isnt even close

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
There was only 1 good one. There was Bourdain and the rest are just forgettable.
moped-army-b27d39abcf1982ea2d9e346523fcce55.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I cannot stand bobby flay. Dude is absolutely insufferable. That throwdown show made me dislike him greatly. Ming Tsai, Bourdain, and Mario Batali we're all great and on Brown's level. Also Martin Yan of course.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah flay jsut seems like a smug asshole you just wanna punch in the face. Im not sure if this is an act and hes nice in RL or just a douche bag in general.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Alton Brown is the best food TV personality, hands down, and the second best isnt even close
Alton Brown on any cooking show is god tier. Hands down the best, most informative host ever. He is still fantastic on Iron Chef. It is his real life live streams during COVID that made him intolerable. He was a vax-head and constantly acted like an idiot about vaccines, so much that I can't tolerate him outside of scripted cooking shows.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah flay jsut seems like a smug asshole you just wanna punch in the face. Im not sure if this is an act and hes nice in RL or just a douche bag in general.
As an aside, I will say this. His food is really God tier. I have eaten at a couple of his places and the shit is legit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Alton Brown and Good Eats literally taught me how to cook. There's maybe a couple of others that that maybe could have done the same but for shows that actually teach you the hows and whys there's nothing that can touch Good Eats.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Alton Brown, Gordan Ramsey, and America's Test Kitchen cook book are were I learned the most. The America's Test Kitchen cook book has so much science explained in why their recipes work and what ingredients do what instead of most cook books that just spoon feed you recipes.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I’ve learn a good bit about balance and improvising through Chopped and master chef Australia 😆

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
that gumbo recipe was nice, next time i'll omit the tomatoes, couldn't get it to get thicc

way more work than just doing jap curry w/ premade roux

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The America's Test Kitchen cook book has so much science explained in why their recipes work and what ingredients do what instead of most cook books that just spoon feed you recipes.

Love their cook books. Used to enjoy the show before the obvious and terrible diversity hire, the host Kimball left to do his own (shitty) show, and they did an embarrassing cooking from home format during the pandemic.

Joy of cooking is basic, but similarly worthy for teaching and informing cooking. Still use it often for basic ratios to improvise from.

Special mention to Julie Childs, who I'm pretty sure was a Skeksis from the Dark Crystal, but was a master in her later years at feigning ignorance for the sake of the audience to learn and follow along.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
that gumbo recipe was nice, next time i'll omit the tomatoes, couldn't get it to get thicc

way more work than just doing jap curry w/ premade roux
This is what you need for gumbo. Only thing you can't see is the roux in the oven and a few spices that everyone has in their pantry. Specific Cajun spices are entirely unnecessary.

20221016_142200.jpg

Edit: Guess it isn't completely clear in the picture, but the bowl on the right is the Cajun trinity plus garlic.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've been seeing a physical therapist lately from Louisiana and he and his girlfriend have a lot of opinions about gumbo. They said it's not right if it's got tomatoes in it. Either that's cajun and they like creole or the other way around.