Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Doesn't look like a bad recipe. Should be pretty flavorful. I'd just steer clear of the chicken tenders, and opt for thighs. Some of the steps are a little unorthodox, but I guess that's because it's using the instapot deal.

I'm just used to doing everything in a big cast iron skillet to brown my proteins, and make my roux.

I say give it a shot though and see how it turns out.
yea a lot of these recipes where you "brown" proteins and saute veggies in the instapot first, i actually do it in a separate pan, even tho i'm a fan of 1 pot/wok cooking, the instapot is just horrible to cook inside of and even when you deglaze it, there might be some residue left and the instapot will think its "burning" and fuck up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea a lot of these recipes where you "brown" proteins and saute veggies in the instapot first, i actually do it in a separate pan, even tho i'm a fan of 1 pot/wok cooking, the instapot is just horrible to cook inside of and even when you deglaze it, there might be some residue left and the instapot will think its "burning" and fuck up.
Pro tip, to stop your roux from cooking, toss in your Holy Trinity into the roux, and cook on the same heat. Should soften the vegetables enough but halt the roux from getting darker before you add your stock. At least that's what Prudhomme does, and that's the way that's always worked for me.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Pro tip, to stop your roux from cooking, toss in your Holy Trinity into the roux, and cook on the same heat. Should soften the vegetables enough but halt the roux from getting darker before you add your stock. At least that's what Prudhomme does, and that's the way that's always worked for me.
yea this roux might fuck me over, i've never really infused flavor into a roux, at most just used a slurry to make sauce stick on meat.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea this roux might fuck me over, i've never really infused flavor into a roux, at most just used a slurry to make sauce stick on meat.
Normally you don't add a lot of stuff to a roux other than oil and flour, and maybe some seasoning. Prudhomme what always fry whole pieces of heavily seasoned chicken skin on in oil, then reserve some of that oil to add his flour to.

I haven't done the whole piece of chicken deal in a while cuz it's a bit messy, but all season and flour cut up pieces of thigh meat, shallow fry, and use that reserved oil for my roux. A lot of the flavor from roux simply comes from how dark you decide to let it go. Chicken andouille gumbo, I let it get the color of dark mud, seafood I go for peanut butter colored. Darker it is, the smokier it'll be. Certain proteins just handle it differently, but it's all to taste. Gumbo is poor people food, and everyone has their own recipe and ingredients. Use whatever the hell you want. Chop up a Boston butt, and throw pork in there too, or if you can find tasso, that's always a nice addition. Will really add a lot of flavor.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Normally you don't add a lot of stuff to a roux other than oil and flour, and maybe some seasoning. Prudhomme what always fry whole pieces of heavily seasoned chicken skin on in oil, then reserve some of that oil to add his flour to.

I haven't done the whole piece of chicken deal in a while cuz it's a bit messy, but all season and flour cut up pieces of thigh meat, shallow fry, and use that reserved oil for my roux. A lot of the flavor from roux simply comes from how dark you decide to let it go. Chicken andouille gumbo, I let it get the color of dark mud, seafood I go for peanut butter colored. Darker it is, the smokier it'll be. Certain proteins just handle it differently, but it's all to taste. Gumbo is poor people food, and everyone has their own recipe and ingredients. Use whatever the hell you want. Chop up a Boston butt, and throw pork in there too, or if you can find tasso, that's always a nice addition. Will really add a lot of flavor.
oh, so i should probably air fry this frozen chicken and catch the drippings for the roux

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh, so i should probably air fry this frozen chicken and catch the drippings for the roux
No, an air fryer won't do it (hate those things anyways). Use your wok and shallow fry some chicken chunks after you dredge them in some seasoning and light flour. Just use that oil then as the base of your roux.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Air fryers are great, especially if you don't have a convection oven. It fills a nice niche for quickly reheating and browning leftovers that won't fit in a toaster.

Stupid fucking name though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've just been making every roux with saved bacon grease.

Made some clam chowder gravy with left overs. Had smoked cheddar baycon biscuits that were amazing. Was gravied chowder was good, not yet great. I tweaked ratios last minute to make more for in-laws, but has already bought clams, so the chowder wasn't as clammy as it should have been. Was hoping gravied it would have more punch than it did. Maybe next time.

Also was weird with potatoes in it. Next time will reserve some broth earlier before potatoes are added instead of using next day leftovers. Good potential so will try again.

IMG_20221009_094121753~2.jpg

• 3Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
it might be time to upgrade to a big boy smoker
View attachment 437438
probes aren't in yet b/c this brisket is actually frozen, i used a little bit more mustard as a binder to get seasoning to stick

why frozen? well most of my briskets are frozen anyway, wanted to see how it'd do w/o a thaw (i seen youtubes and it turns out fine)
Dude. Get a Yoder. Here's a 20 lb brisket in mine.

PXL_20221007_121828748.jpg

• 2Quality Calories
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
i think Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded and mkopec mkopec are the bayou ppl?

hows this gumbo recipe? i've taken a liking to my new pressure cooker, so i really want to utilize it more
99ebe539961a1714810fc89073bcea7f.png

my only real experience w/ cajun is this chain
a5fed2c0fb0f74899e86202bdab75ae6.jpg

861c0b453b7ac7dd2f8ae832b16353aa.jpg
Alton Brown is a giant, and insufferable cunt now but his gumbo recipe is still money. Once you've made it a few times you can start subbing your own ingredients. These days I use chicken stock because making shrimp stock takes too long. I also use a 1 lb bag of frozen okra to thicken it up really nice.

Source: Mom's family is from Louisiana and gumbo is their specialty.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I can't stand watching anything that has Alton Brown on it, he's such a spasmodic fuckwad. However, his recipes are generally good, if fussy.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I liked it because it was more infos than the average cook this recipe shows. It taught you some shit.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Air fryers are great, especially if you don't have a convection oven. It fills a nice niche for quickly reheating and browning leftovers that won't fit in a toaster.

Stupid fucking name though.
Brilliant name really. Someone took a product that has existed for decades (convection ovens) and convince people to buy a new smaller one with a catchy name. I bet there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people who bought one even though their stove has it already built in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is it really that many? What's the turnover rate on an oven? I'd love to have a convection oven but I'm not replacing my perfectly functional regular oven for one. I'd hazard electrical ovens are more commonplace than convection ovens.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
it's not just that but the ease of use/practical use of an air fryer compared to a convection oven, if you were to airfry some brussel sprouts, you just have turn on the airfryer to preheat for at most 3minutes, then while it's preheating, halve em, toss em in oil s&p and youre ready to put in the airfryer 7min then flip for another 7min, so 17m including prep and youre done. while it takes that long for a convection oven to preheat to 400

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users