20221016_171713.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We haven't decided if it should have cottage cheese or not yet

I don't really know gumbo, but I do love how cottage cheese melts into chili so well. The cottage cheese crumbles have a similar size and texture to the ground beef, and it really goes well with the beans and green peppers

• 2Like
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've been seeing a physical therapist lately from Louisiana and he and his girlfriend have a lot of opinions about gumbo. They said it's not right if it's got tomatoes in it. Either that's cajun and they like creole or the other way around.
Creole typically has the addition of tomatoes. I think it's that mix of Spanish and French.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Creole typically has the addition of tomatoes. I think it's that mix of Spanish and French.
with the roux i slaved over (actually wasn't that difficult since i was using the ninja and not the instapot, cuz the ninja had an ceramic pot while the instapot has stainless, so it was like ghetto teflon), it got pretty thicc w/ 64oz of stock added, but the really big can of tomatoes really made it watery. (it did settle overnight and was thicc, but more like coagulated)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
with the roux i slaved over (actually wasn't that difficult since i was using the ninja and not the instapot, cuz the ninja had an ceramic pot while the instapot has stainless, so it was like ghetto teflon), it got pretty thicc w/ 64oz of stock added, but the really big can of tomatoes really made it watery. (it did settle overnight and was thicc, but more like coagulated)
One option is to just add a bit of tomato paste instead of canned tomatoes if you want that brightness / acidity. Just an easier way of getting the addition of a tomato flavor without having to worry about reducing all of that liquid. Typically would want to add it when you're softening your holy Trinity.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
One option is to just add a bit of tomato paste instead of canned tomatoes if you want that brightness / acidity. Just an easier way of getting the addition of a tomato flavor without having to worry about reducing all of that liquid. Typically would want to add it when you're softening your holy Trinity.
oh i could try that, i cooked the trinity in my wok, so theres room, think the 6oz paste is a good substitute?

i'll probably reduce the stock from 64oz to 32oz, also

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
If you typically have thinner gumbo than you like, then you should change your flour/fat ratio for the roux.

I use a 3:2 four:fat ratio for thick roux.

In fact, the picture posted last night was a 1:1 ratio (I was testing the frozen okra for thickening power) and it still came out thinner than I like so I am perpetually sticking to 3:2.

LiquidDeath

oh i could try that, i cooked the trinity in my wok, so theres room, think the 6oz paste is a good substitute?

Oh, and for each 32oz of stock I use 6oz flour and 4 oz fat, both by weight and not volume.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Probably a whole can of paste for a big pot of gumbo, those are 6ozs right?

I think it might give you that flavor profile you're looking for, while rounding out everything. We've been buying the stuff in the tube out of the Italian section, and I find that even when I'm making things like gravy I'll do a little squirt or two just to give things a little bit more zing and depth of flavor. Really trying to get better at hitting that balance of salt, sweet, acid, savory, and umami with the things we cook.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Probably a whole can of paste for a big pot of gumbo, those are 6ozs right?

I think it might give you that flavor profile you're looking for, while rounding out everything. We've been buying the stuff in the tube out of the Italian section, and I find that even when I'm making things like gravy I'll do a little squirt or two just to give things a little bit more zing and depth of flavor. Really trying to get better at hitting that balance of salt, sweet, acid, savory, and umami with the things we cook.
oh i think that might be the cento paste, its even more reduced than regular tomatoe paste

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Creole is actually mix of Caribbean and europe descent. Basically black Caribbean or West indies cusine mixed with Europe (French or Spanish) descendants. But all that shit is prob all muddled through 200+ yrs.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have a good website that has a list of simple recipes that are high in protein and little else? My doc ran some tests over the course of a couple months, stool, blood, etc. He found that my fatigue, headaches etc. are from the fact that I dont have a lot of protein in my diet. I thought I was eating plenty, but Im down to try anything at this point instead of hopping onto some ADHD medicine that makes me grind my teeth.

I'm pretty sedentary so I'd like to stick as close to.. I guess the keto diet? as I can so I dont blow up like a faty boy.

LiquidDeath

Anyone have a good website that has a list of simple recipes that are high in protein and little else? My doc ran some tests over the course of a couple months, stool, blood, etc. He found that my fatigue, headaches etc. are from the fact that I dont have a lot of protein in my diet. I thought I was eating plenty, but Im down to try anything at this point instead of hopping onto some ADHD medicine that makes me grind my teeth.

I'm pretty sedentary so I'd like to stick as close to.. I guess the keto diet? as I can so I dont blow up like a faty boy.

If you are looking for high protein, carnivore is probably your best option. Keto is more about high fat, moderate protein, low-carb so the recipes don't prioritize protein. You can make any meal high protein, though, by just adding meat and/or eggs to it.

YouTube is honestly the best place to find recipes these days. Here is a short list I gave another fellow low-carb/keto/carnivore traveler:

KetoFocus - https://www.youtube.com/c/KetoFocus - One of the best sources for keto recipes. She is a little annoying to watch, but her recipes are on point and she goes step by step.

Serious Keto - https://www.youtube.com/c/SeriousKeto - Steve is pretty easy to watch and does a whole lot of testing using pre-made keto stuff. Very good information for all levels of Keto, and some good recipes to boot.

Nicko's Kitchen - https://www.youtube.com/user/robjnixon - A little odd, but has a lot of comparison videos comparing keto recipes and determining the best tasting or easiest.

Keto Twins - https://www.youtube.com/c/ketotwins - Lesser known keto creators, lost a shitload of weight between them on keto and have video evidence to prove it. Provide a lot of easy, hacked recipes. Their chaffle recipes are fantastic.

Cook with Mel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CookwithMel1 - Also lesser known, but has some legit recipes. Not a very good video creator, but good enough that the recipes turn out. The best thing she does is the parmesan cheese noodles, but don't use it for a pizza crust.

Black Tie Kitchen - https://www.youtube.com/c/BlackTieKitchen - lesser known, doesn't produce a lot of videos but the quality is top notch. His ingredients lists are sometimes daunting for beginners.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Do you think making a smoothie with some whey protein would work, or does it need to be from meats and such? Reason I ask is I figured having at least one of those in the morning or midday or something might be an easy option, considering the cost of meat in this day and age.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

how about eating what you currently eat but adding protein snacks throughout the day like cheese/greek yogurt/eggs, etc

ask how much protein he'd like you to increase it by, eating just pure meat will drive you crazy, i don't know how Oblio Oblio does carnovore

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Keto/atkins boards will have a ton of recipes.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

actually how about you take a picture of what your dinner is now

i mean, are you just eating leaf and bread?