Gravy's Cooking Thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Maybe one of you homies can help me find a recipe that my dad used to make when I was a kid:

It was porkchops buried in rice inside a big crock pot with a lot of like canned/stewed tomatoes. It wasn't a soup or stew, it was relatively dry.I can't really remember more than that, and specifically what seasoning was used, but I wanna make it again and the hellscape that is searching for recipes on google is giving me brain damage.

NO KAREN I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE RUSTIC COTTAGE YOU LEARNED TO COOK THESE BEANS IN JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING MEASUREMENTS REEEEEE

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Maybe one of you homies can help me find a recipe that my dad used to make when I was a kid:

It was porkchops buried in rice inside a big crock pot with a lot of like canned/stewed tomatoes. It wasn't a soup or stew, it was relatively dry.I can't really remember more than that, and specifically what seasoning was used, but I wanna make it again and the hellscape that is searching for recipes on google is giving me brain damage.

NO KAREN I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE RUSTIC COTTAGE YOU LEARNED TO COOK THESE BEANS IN JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING MEASUREMENTS REEEEEE
Is the rice dry when you put it in?

Because if so that's kinda like arroz con pollo just with pork.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Seems like a "slow cookers are popular!" recipe of the 70s. I'm not sure I'd ever cook a pork chop in a slow cooker, seems like a good way to end up with an overcooked piece of meat. Moreover, how do you ensure the pork chop and rice are done at the same time?

You might have better time looking for a rice pilaf that has tomatoes. Cook the pork chop separately and just combine them on the plate. I did a quick search for what you were looking for and it's all lazy shit where people are using jarred sauce or even canned tomato soup.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever dry-brined a Butterball before? Do you put less salt in the herb mix, or just the same as usual?
Does it come with a seasoning pack or something? If so how many ounces? I'd imagine it should be enough you just need to make certain to apply the seasoning underneath the skin as well as in the cavity, and then let it get enough air flow while it dry brines in the fridge. Never hurts to add more seasonings to taste, and you can go pretty heavy on the salt because a lot of it's going to end up cooking off depending upon the method of said cooking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Does it come with a seasoning pack or something? If so how many ounces? I'd imagine it should be enough you just need to make certain to apply the seasoning underneath the skin as well as in the cavity, and then let it get enough air flow will it dry brines in the fridge. Never hurts to add more seasonings to taste, and you can go pretty heavy on the salt because a lot of it's going to end up cooking off depending upon the method of said cooking.
i seem to remember it was different depending on the brand of salt you use per tsp

*edit
yea
2–2½ tsp. of Diamond Crystal kosher salt per pound of turkey, or 1–1½ tsp. per pound for Morton kosher.

i'm sure this is cuz diamond has a uniform diamond shape, vs regular kosher salt just being big chunks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seems like a "slow cookers are popular!" recipe of the 70s. I'm not sure I'd ever cook a pork chop in a slow cooker, seems like a good way to end up with an overcooked piece of meat. Moreover, how do you ensure the pork chop and rice are done at the same time?

You might have better time looking for a rice pilaf that has tomatoes. Cook the pork chop separately and just combine them on the plate. I did a quick search for what you were looking for and it's all lazy shit where people are using jarred sauce or even canned tomato soup.

Yea it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was actual tomato soup or some shit in it. This wasn't a particularly good recipe, it was basically poverty food from 1990 cause pork was 50 cents a lb and we were broke lol.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever dry-brined a Butterball before? Do you put less salt in the herb mix, or just the same as usual?
If you're salting it ahead you don't need salt in the herb mix at all. Put on as much salt as you want in the first place.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cooked the last bit of the sale snow crab last night. Turned out even better this time, managed to get a lot of smoke on everything, and even smoked the garlic butter. Going to pick and clean the leftovers and make a hot crab dip. We typically make a batch during the holidays for an appetizer and share with the neighbors.

IMG_20221121_203437637.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Cooked the last bit of the sale snow crab last night. Turned out even better this time, managed to get a lot of smoke on everything, and even smoked the garlic butter. Going to pick and clean the leftovers and make a hot crab dip. We typically make a batch during the holidays for an appetizer and share with the neighbors.

View attachment 444250

That reminds me.

I've never had hot crab dip.

I've also never had a lobster roll.

I've also never tried crawdads.

Dunno if I'm missing out or not.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That reminds me.

You are, especially if you enjoy seafood. Out of that stuff isn't an everyday meal, just like the snow crab, but when I do get a chance to have it it's simply wonderful. Growing up in New Orleans though, I guess I was spoiled with having access to crawfish all the time, and plenty of great hole in the wall seafood restaurants.

I miss that City just for the food but they're is no way in hell I'd live there in this day and age.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That reminds me.

Whatever you do, for your first time.. obviously dont eat any of that shit from some po'dunk franchise like Red Lobster or similar.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TJT Recipe for 20 spicy beef and bean freezer burritos.

Much like the ones you buy from the store you can bake these back to temp at 375-400 for 20 minutes or so from frozen. 10-12 minutes then turn them over. For the beef I've tried using taco seasoning mix on it but it really doesn't provide too much overall and can be skipped.

Ingredients:
  • Dry Black Beans
  • 1 lb ground beef.
  • Shredded Cheese.
  • Cumin
  • Salt
  • Cilantro
  • Lemon Juice
  • Habanero Peppers
  • Chili Powder
  • Cooking Oil (we usually have sunflower for some reason).
  • Burrito Tortillas (get like the regular size of them not the gigantic mission size)

Refried Beans:
  1. 2 cups dry black beans (soak overnight, boil until tender).
    1. Then drain them.
  2. Mince Garlic (I use garlic press) and cilantro as much as possible.
  3. Mince 4 to 6 habaneros.
  4. Dice and sautee one medium white onion until translucent but not brown along with the garlic in the oil.
  5. Throw in the beans and wait until it boils a bit. May need to add more water.
  6. Add in Cumin, Salt, MSG (really improves it here), and a little chili powder along with lemon juice and habaneros.
  7. Mash it with a potato masher.
  8. Let some water evaporate or add a little more until you have the desired consistency. Should be like typical refried beans.

Beef:
  1. Brown 1lb of ground beef and drain.
  2. Use Taco mix if you want but just using a little salt is fine.
Burrito Mix:
  1. Use a bowl and put in all the beef and beans and mix well.
  2. Add in a large handful of shredded cheese and keep mixing.

Use all the mix on 20 medium size burrito tortillas and wrap them tightly. The beans glue them together really well. Put them in some container or ziploc bag. Freeze.

The result here is about 3x spicier than any store bought one you may find and they last a long long time.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
reminder, today is the last full day you can wet/dry brine,

also if you've already dry brined and you used a baking sheet
usa-pan-2-piece-non-stick-half-sheet-baking-rack-set.jpg

instead of a pan or something w/ tall walls, pour it out b4 you get turkey juice all over your fridge

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
reminder, today is the last full day you can wet/dry brine,

also if you've already dry brined and you used a baking sheet
usa-pan-2-piece-non-stick-half-sheet-baking-rack-set.jpg

instead of a pan or something w/ tall walls, pour it out b4 you get turkey juice all over your fridge
Lanx Lanx what are you making this year. I'm going to try something new and see if it works with roast duck. Gonna roast a pheasant, too, since the duck isn't huge, and I want leftovers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I only went to Red Lobster once and the impression I got was "It's Long John Silver's but at 3 times the price!".

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx what are you making this year. I'm going to try something new and see if it works with roast duck. Gonna roast a pheasant, too, since the duck isn't huge, and I want leftovers.
it's just my wife and i so i'll still be doing a big 20lb turkey, that was the limit for my deep fryer, most likely half will just goto the neighborhood dogs (might have to move soon)

(my vertical smoker still hasn't showed up, so no peking duck, oh actually it's arriving today)

and i'll be doing 6ish sides from chef john recipes

and an alton brown green bean cassarole

• 1Quality Calories

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For the first time in years I am not hosting so no cooking for me. Part of me is sad as I love doing Thanksgiving, part of me is like "i can chill all morning and then just show up and eat?"

I am conflicted.

• 2Like