Gravy's Cooking Thread

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
We don't cook bacon very often but when we do I always round up the grease after cooking it in the oven over foil, and into a small jar it goes. Use it to flavor sauces or fry up whatever. Parents always did that constantly growing up and they used to just keep it out in a container sitting there on the counter. Hell I think my grandparents used to do that too. But there were constantly using it and constantly cooking bacon so I guess it was always fresh.
Growing up my dad would throw a few slices of bread in the pan to soak up the bacon grease while is was still liquid. He would then feed it to our dogs and said "it's good for their coats." I have no idea if it was true, but all those dogs lived 15+ years.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think the only time I've ever had soda in the last number of years is if I'm traveling for work and I stop at a Whataburger, and as opposed to getting an iced tea or a water I'll get a diet soda of some sort. I never buy it and it's never kept around the house. The wife got me drinking flavored seltzer water. We drank a lot of that just for the textural difference plus I can mix it with vodka or gin.
I have a soda stream and just use it for plain soda water, never bought any syrup for it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Growing up my dad would throw a few slices of bread in the pan to soak up the bacon grease while is was still liquid. He would then feed it to our dogs and said "it's good for their coats." I have no idea if it was true, but all those dogs lived 15+ years.
Haha, if we didn't use the bacon grease my mom used to do the same thing and put it on the dog kibble. The dogs always got table scraps. When you finish a meal all the stuff that wasn't going to go for leftovers one on to a designated plate and then down into the food bowls that went.

We had an Afghan hound who lived to 14 years, and that's twice the average lifespan and they typically are known for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My soda intake has dropped tremendously in the last decade. Mostly because we don't keep it around the house and that is because we don't want to raise kids with Type 2.

I don't really miss it, but a Diet Dr Pepper once every few months fantastic.
I quit having it in the house shortly before covid started after 20+ years of being a 4-8 cans of diet coke a day guy. I still get some when I have fast food or if I'm driving at night but since I'm 50 miles from the nearest store not having it in the house cuts my intake by about 95%. Based on what the price of it has done since Covid I think it was a great decision. Blows my mind to see $8.50 a 12 pack at the supermarket. I always tried to pay less than $3.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Soda still pretty cheap where I am and it's one of my few vices. The real sugar Dr Pepper is good stuff, but I slum it plenty with Mt Dew. Been drinking more with a new job driving, but doing fine without the caffeine so thinking of cutting back again to a can with dinner or I like the 17oz size throughout the day. No diet as I'm more concerned with fake sugar than calories. Always been a deliberate soda drinker, not just mindlessly drinking a ton, and never could get into alcohol, so shrug.

Easy, simple dinner we'll do basic sloppy joes and put them into Pillsbury style biscuits for hand pie pocket things. Are good cold the next day too.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haha, if we didn't use the bacon grease my mom used to do the same thing and put it on the dog kibble. The dogs always got table scraps. When you finish a meal all the stuff that wasn't going to go for leftovers one on to a designated plate and then down into the food bowls that went.

We had an Afghan hound who lived to 14 years, and that's twice the average lifespan and they typically are known for.
having physically been in a pet food factory...

table scraps is healthy dog food

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I switched to diet back when I was like 16-17 and working in fast food joints. I fund myself drinking too much of the sugared shit because it was free. So I switched and drank diet shit throughout my life. But the last like 10 yrs or so I stopped drinking so much of the stuff and now mostly drink water and tea. I still sweeten my tea with the blue shit but not so much of it. I still have a diet drink here and there, mostly diet pepsi is what I like. Shit is never around my house anymore and I buy the kids a 2 liter here and there as a treat, but always diet.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On another note discussing indian stuff this week, I found out from my street shitter friend at work that the place I used to go to pre COVID for buffet is again serving buffet on SAT and SUN. FUCK YES! Taking the fam there tomorrow!

1670644547842.png

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And on ther topic of dogs and scraps, yeah I can attest that my Beagle I had always got table scraps, mostly meats and other good shit and he lived to the ripe age of 18. And he was pretty much active like 17.5 yrs only slowing down a bit the last year. Had to put him down though because he became basically immobile the last month or so.

We have 2 cats now both 10+ yrs old and we give them shit like tuna whenever we open up a can or sardines, and even chicken pieces and other goodies. They love it and keeps them healthy.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I switched to diet back when I was like 16-17 and working in fast food joints. I fund myself drinking too much of the sugared shit because it was free. So I switched and drank diet shit throughout my life. But the last like 10 yrs or so I stopped drinking so much of the stuff and now mostly drink water and tea. I still sweeten my tea with the blue shit but not so much of it. I still have a diet drink here and there, mostly diet pepsi is what I like. Shit is never around my house anymore and I buy the kids a 2 liter here and there as a treat, but always diet.
I ended up drinking so much unsweetened ice tea that that excess tanins were giving me dry mouth. Thats when I ended up back to diet and limiting it to 2 a day. Water the rest of the day.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And on ther topic of dogs and scraps, yeah I can attest that my Beagle I had always got table scraps, mostly meats and other good shit and he lived to the ripe age of 18. And he was pretty much active like 17.5 yrs only slowing down a bit the last year. Had to put him down though because he became basically immobile the last month or so.

We have 2 cats now both 10+ yrs old and we give them shit like tuna whenever we open up a can or sardines, and even chicken pieces and other goodies. They love it and keeps them healthy.
My shepherd gets table food although its only when someone leaves their plate unattended on the dining room table and he is feeling ballsy.

1670687868660.png

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Change up time. What's everyone's favorite *simple* food? Say, 4-5 major ingredients? Things like PB&J (Assuming that very specific Brand X PB, Brand Y J, and Brand Z Bread; at <time of year> because <reasons>).

I don't know what sort of crack the restaurant used, but there used to be an "Italian" place near an old job that did the most mind blowing Focaccia and dipping oil with giant salt and pepper chunks at the bottom. Had plenty of good Focaccia since then, and various dips, but nothing holds up to what they put on the table as the free starter any/every day of the week (I ate a lot of lunches there, never got old).
Tunamelt. Open faced.

1 slice of bread,
1 tuna pouch,
some mayo,
some sweet relish,
cheese.

Sometimes also a tomato on top.

1670688005073.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Change up time. What's everyone's favorite *simple* food? Say, 4-5 major ingredients? Things like PB&J (Assuming that very specific Brand X PB, Brand Y J, and Brand Z Bread; at <time of year> because <reasons>).

I don't know what sort of crack the restaurant used, but there used to be an "Italian" place near an old job that did the most mind blowing Focaccia and dipping oil with giant salt and pepper chunks at the bottom. Had plenty of good Focaccia since then, and various dips, but nothing holds up to what they put on the table as the free starter any/every day of the week (I ate a lot of lunches there, never got old).
Ramen - take a ramen pack, cook it and then instead of making broth, you drain the water and then add the chicken bouillon right to the wet noodles and mix it. It makes this strong chicken flavored coated noodles.

PB&J

White cheeder Mac and Cheese that adds Parmesan and Romano for extra cheesy flavor at the end.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Never tried that. When I feel like having it with something more sour I swap out the mayo and sweet relish for a small amount of whole milk greek style yogurt with lemon juice and horseradish mustard.

It may sound weird there but trust me. Try it. When you do it that way also replace the shredded sharp cheddar with something more mild or mozz.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Ramen - take a ramen pack, cook it and then instead of making broth, you drain the water and then add the chicken bouillon right to the wet noodles and mix it. It makes this strong chicken flavored coated noodles.

That's probably better than how I ate ramen in the Army: open packet, throw away seasoning pack, eat brick of ramen like a cracker.

• 2Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I can't abide the taste and texture of canned tuna. Dunno why, I just can't do it.
canned tuna has to be well drained then rinsed at least once with cold water and drained well again before its edible by humans.

skipping this step makes it smell and taste like dirty pussy. Its horrific when people do it wrong. Its pretty tasty once you clean up the nasty juice though.