Hyperbaldi Goat curry

• 2Quality Calories
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's probably better than how I ate ramen in the Army: open packet, throw away seasoning pack, eat brick of ramen like a cracker.
Its actually tasty. Ramen to collander but dont really dry it just put it wet back in the pot and add the seasoning to it sticks to the wet ramen. Its really intense chicken flavor since it isnt dilluted into lots of water but I like how it ends up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
One of my hunters this fall brought me a bunch of home-canned tuna that he caught himself. Didn't know what to expect but it made some very nice tuna salad with a lot more flavor than regular canned tuna.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
well, you got to remember, the good tuna gets sold whole or fresh. next grade down goes to high qual preserved (smoked, or high quality canned (think opening up and seeing basically a tuna steak)), and then on down the line till you get cheapass canned tuna which us just shreds and juice.

Besides the legitimate sustainability blahblahblah; there's a price point where you're better off getting sprats or herring or sardines, or whatever, depending on which flavor of EURO store is closest. And you'll get better fish for value.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
well, you got to remember, the good tuna gets sold whole or fresh. next grade down goes to high qual preserved (smoked, or high quality canned (think opening up and seeing basically a tuna steak)), and then on down the line till you get cheapass canned tuna which us just shreds and juice.

I don't think that's true. Canned tuna is usually made form Albacore or other smaller tuna that wouldn't make steaks or sushi.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it depends on what you buy. The cans that are nothing more than finely shredded fish mush are probably the tuna equivalent of the hotdog, whereas something like 'canned albacore' is actually visually recognizable as fish when you open it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
from 2020 covid getting pantry shit and tuna was one of em,
theres 3 grades of canned tuna from best to worst
solid
chunk
chunk lite

usually it's called
solid white albacore
chunk white albacore
white chunk lite

for the first two its as BrutulTM BrutulTM said, larger pieces are designated as solid, and smaller than that as chunk

the chunk lite is just garbage fish, never buy that

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Trader Joe's is a liberal scam, but some of their stuff is objectively good quality at a decent price. Their canned tuna being one. In water with medium salt. No dirty pussy taste at all! I was in the camp that canned tuna was disgusting for much of my life before realizing I was just poor buying poor people tuna.

Still can't/won't do heated tuna, though. Had a boss that would microwave a bowl of canned of tuna, oil and all, several times a week smelling up the break room for hours. Fuck that bitch.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think it depends on what you buy. The cans that are nothing more than finely shredded fish mush are probably the tuna equivalent of the hotdog, whereas something like 'canned albacore' is actually visually recognizable as fish when you open it.
I thought the grades were chunk and solid.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Trader Joe's is a liberal scam, but some of their stuff is objectively good quality at a decent price. Their canned tuna being one. In water with medium salt. No dirty pussy taste at all! I was in the camp that canned tuna was disgusting for much of my life before realizing I was just poor buying poor people tuna.

Still can't/won't do heated tuna, though. Had a boss that would microwave a bowl of canned of tuna, oil and all, several times a week smelling up the break room for hours. Fuck that bitch.
I don't shop there regularly, but we have one across the road from the HEB, our normal grocery store. I agree that they charge way to much for certain items, but if you know the going rates, they've managed to keep their cost competitive for some staples skyrocketing with inflation.

They're butter prices right now are lower than the cheapest butter you can buy at the regular grocery store. They still haven't changed the cost of a pack of fresh herbs (1.79). I never ever buy meat there though. Some of their pre-made seasonings and seasonal options that they throw out are pretty good. The prices on good cheese is phenomenal, along with charcuterie. It's definitely not a shop there everyday place, but I go there for very specific things, and their affordable for what they are.

It's also fun just to find different things that I normally don't grab at the grocery store, and their flowers are cheap, which bringing them home have their own benefits.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
were you stationed in korea? its what they do

I wasn't, sadly.

I just don't think I felt like boiling water and at one point I was fucking sick of MREs.

I tried canned vienna sausages once. Guy in my section fucking loved them, but they always tasted like they were made from Chernobyl pigs and boiled in mercury.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't shop there regularly, but we have one across the road from the HEB, our normal grocery store. I agree that they charge way to much for certain items, but if you know the going rates, they've managed to keep their cost competitive for some staples skyrocketing with inflation.

They're butter prices right now are lower than the cheapest butter you can buy at the regular grocery store. They still haven't changed the cost of a pack of fresh herbs (1.79). I never ever buy meat there though. Some of their pre-made seasonings and seasonal options that they throw out are pretty good. The prices on good cheese is phenomenal, along with charcuterie. It's definitely not a shop there everyday place, but I go there for very specific things, and their affordable for what they are.

It's also fun just to find different things that I normally don't grab at the grocery store, and their flowers are cheap, which bringing them home have their own benefits.

That's it, they carry much more than standard things, and their cheese selection is out of this world. And I actually think their cheap wine is a good table wine. It's not blow your socks off good, but it is tasty and cheap. I always have some on hand.

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Funniest Trader Joe's moment was some dumb college chicks loading up a basket full of frozen dinners and one asks the other if she's sure it's all healthy, and the other says of course, it's Trader Joe's, everything is healthy here.

Trader Joe's mayonnaise is really good. Been out of stock the last few years every time we get to the nearest store that is 2+ hours away and it's really annoying me. Bought some Hellmann's and Best Foods and it's gloopy shit compared to the Trader Joe's mayo. Started just making our own for specific purposes, but really doesn't last for general use.

Really good sweet hot pickled jalapenos as well. And they had a red jalapeno hot sauce that was amazing but has also been out of stock for years now.

Best part is the yoga pants wearing milfs and co-eds if your TJs isn't in too liberal or poor an area, otherwise is nothing but hairy pits and jew frows.

I grew up with TJs in Cali being the place hippies with jobs bought their shitty natural stuff. They've come a long way, and I want to hate them but so many good products I wish they'd open one closer.

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't abide the taste and texture of canned tuna. Dunno why, I just can't do it.

Costco has great canned tuna options. Its the real deal, not shredded crap. I throw it in the frying pan for 2 minutes to brown slightly and add to a can of beans, some rice, and veggies for a quick healthy meal.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's it, they carry much more than standard things, and their cheese selection is out of this world. And I actually think their cheap wine is a good table wine. It's not blow your socks off good, but it is tasty and cheap. I always have some on hand.

Only thing I buy from Trader Joes: dark chocolate peanut butter cups.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users