Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Amazon has the Slow N Sear for the Weber kettle on sale right now for $90 vs $130. It's a great price if you're in the market for one. I love mine and I think I paid full when I picked it up. Totally worth the money, though.

Slow ‘N Sear® Deluxe for 22" Charcoal Grill from SnS Grills https://a.co/d/5dUhtDB
I've seen Guga use something like this on YT but I really have trouble imagining this being worth the price unless you're eating steak like twice a week. I mean this is almost half the cost of a 22" kettle by itself (or a helluva lot more than half if you got the cheap model).

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've seen Guga use something like this on YT but I really have trouble imagining this being worth the price unless you're eating steak like twice a week. I mean this is almost half the cost of a 22" kettle by itself (or a helluva lot more than half if you got the cheap model).
The benefit is if that's your only grill you can use it for both smoking as well as doing great searing on something quick. That's not to say that you can't do that with just a regular kettle rule but it really does make it easier. I posted tons of photos in the thread of me having used it. It really does get a fantastic sear specifically if you're wanting to get a charcoal / wood flavor, and the smoking ability with the water tray that's pretty fantastic for it turning a kettle grill into an all-purpose sort of deal.

I also only paid 60 bucks for my Weber kettle on clearance during the off-season, so I was happy to spend the extra money to get the slownsear

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So I blame Chysamere Chysamere for this

I've been trying to find actual katsu curry here, and both times all I've found are katsu don.

And even then, when I look that up online, it looks way more appetizing on the internet.

All I've been served so far is literally a pork cutlet on plain rice. Which is honestly bland AF

This is probably where Lanx Lanx can come in and laugh at me since he knows where I live, LOL

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I blame Chysamere Chysamere for this

I've been trying to find actual katsu curry here, and both times all I've found are katsu don.

And even then, when I look that up online, it looks way more appetizing on the internet.

All I've been served so far is literally a pork cutlet on plain rice. Which is honestly bland AF

This is probably where Lanx Lanx can come in and laugh at me since he knows where I live, LOL
dude, just buy this
8c5d757d6cbd14014b7de085940aaaf6.jpg

SET OF 10】Go Go Curry Japanese Curry House (Medium Spicy)x 2packs; Pork Curry

buy some takeout rice (cuz i know you don't have a rice cooker)

get out your mallet and pound a pork chop, flour, egg and panko it

buy some nappa cabbage and you should make a pretty good dish,

i actually made it last night
1218222139.jpg

but w/ this curry roux
java-curry-sauce-mix-medium-hot.03206e3b.png

i ran out of the the gogo curry, which is what you should use cuz it's already a sauce, just heat it up in water.

and yea i've been to a few places in overland park, nuttin, hell the jap restaurants are owned by koreans

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
dude, just buy this
8c5d757d6cbd14014b7de085940aaaf6.jpg

SET OF 10】Go Go Curry Japanese Curry House (Medium Spicy)x 2packs; Pork Curry

buy some takeout rice (cuz i know you don't have a rice cooker)

get out your mallet and pound a pork chop, flour, egg and panko it

buy some nappa cabbage and you should make a pretty good dish,

i actually made it last night
View attachment 448749

but w/ this curry roux
java-curry-sauce-mix-medium-hot.03206e3b.png

i ran out of the the gogo curry, which is what you should use cuz it's already a sauce, just heat it up in water.

and yea i've been to a few places in overland park, nuttin, hell the jap restaurants are owned by koreans

RE: rice cooker

If you give me an amazon link to a good rice cooker, I will order one today

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
RE: rice cooker

If you give me an amazon link to a good rice cooker, I will order one today
this was actually really good for 70bucks
a4e4579ef13e1f95a459da3077c5ba87.png

TIGER JBV-A10U 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer Basket, White

if you wanna go baller, this is mine
b1c5465b8e8214f08818c28539fb7ff5.png

Zojirushi NP-HCC10XH Induction Heating System Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1 L, Stainless Dark Gray

i only have 1 criteria for any zoji, it has to say made in japan, i chose my model b/c it has the jasmine rice setting.

this one might be the cheapest made in japan model?
d92e4c90e35ed30a3a70b4201223b701.png

Zojirushi, Made in Japan Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker, 5.5-Cup, Premium White

and then they have other models that are induction and pressure heat, but they cost as much as a ps5, so i mean there are limits to silliness

• 2Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 2 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
this was actually really good for 70bucks
a4e4579ef13e1f95a459da3077c5ba87.png

TIGER JBV-A10U 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer Basket, White

if you wanna go baller, this is mine
b1c5465b8e8214f08818c28539fb7ff5.png

Zojirushi NP-HCC10XH Induction Heating System Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1 L, Stainless Dark Gray

i only have 1 criteria for any zoji, it has to say made in japan, i chose my model b/c it has the jasmine rice setting.

this one might be the cheapest made in japan model?
d92e4c90e35ed30a3a70b4201223b701.png

Zojirushi, Made in Japan Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker, 5.5-Cup, Premium White

and then they have other models that are induction and pressure heat, but they cost as much as a ps5, so i mean there are limits to silliness

Yeah, I don't need anything fancy, you know? I'll just get the first one.

I'm a redneck from KC, LOL. I don't even eat rice until I get in one of those moods, but then I'll eat a lot of rice-based meals. Usually in the winter

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I don't need anything fancy, you know? I'll just get the first one.

I'm a redneck from KC, LOL. I don't even eat rice until I get in one of those moods, but then I'll eat a lot of rice-based meals. Usually in the winter
yea the top one even has an insert you can place on it while youre cooking rice to prep your meal like steaming chicken and brocc

you might as well add a 5lb bag of rice to your order
9a85a9ab08031a6e4334a78b12b3bbb1.png

any other time i'd say 9bucks for 5lbs is a rip off, but this is biden times, youre not gonna find $1 for a lb unless you buy in bulk and you'd get that at the asian grocer

you can also buy the same brand at walmart for the same price

b9bf657a3500b46c06c99817559113f8.png

• 4Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So I didn't notice at first, but the cost of that Gogo curry deal was more than the fucking rice cooker, lawl

I think you're right when you say that these are Biden times

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Erronius Erronius Lanx Lanx Is 100% correct on that yellow box Go Go Curry being amazing. I buy the identical brand here, but I get 60 single packs for $100. That amazon link is 20 x double packs for about the same, which isn't too bad considering it's imported goods. The packs are $5 in the stores and that is under that.

As for katsu, it's crazy easy to make. I personally prefer Chicken Katsu (You get both Chicken and Pork Katsu at Go Go Curry restaurants when you get the Major Curry which looks like this:

1671485802294.png

and Chicken Katsu (Video) チキンカツ link seems pretty reliable. You literally only need these ingredients:

1671485838825.png

Your Katsudon should look like this:

1671485921835.png

The pork should have softly cooked egg all around it and there should be plenty of onions and a hint of sweet sauce.

Or you could just go to New York/Boston which has actual Go Go Curry shops.

• 4Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Erronius Erronius Lanx Lanx Is 100% correct on that yellow box Go Go Curry being amazing. I buy the identical brand here, but I get 60 single packs for $100. That amazon link is 20 x double packs for about the same, which isn't too bad considering it's imported goods. The packs are $5 in the stores and that is under that.

As for katsu, it's crazy easy to make. I personally prefer Chicken Katsu (You get both Chicken and Pork Katsu at Go Go Curry restaurants when you get the Major Curry which looks like this:

View attachment 448767

and Chicken Katsu (Video) チキンカツ link seems pretty reliable. You literally only need these ingredients:

View attachment 448768

Your Katsudon should look like this:

View attachment 448769

The pork should have softly cooked egg all around it and there should be plenty of onions and a hint of sweet sauce.

Or you could just go to New York/Boston which has actual Go Go Curry shops.
yea that was about the best deal i could find, theres a slower non prime option for like 10bucks less, still i've never seen gogo curry boxes anywhere, and they don't even have distribution, it's direct from japan.

btw i was pretty sure i paid out 18bucks in nyc for the same plate that was probably 800yen

i must be some sort of import/export issue w/ curry, i still remember being very pissed at tsa for confiscating my curry roux when i came back from japan

it is napa cabbage they use right?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
yea that was about the best deal i could find, theres a slower non prime option for like 10bucks less, still i've never seen gogo curry boxes anywhere, and they don't even have distribution, it's direct from japan.

btw i was pretty sure i paid out 18bucks in nyc for the same plate that was probably 800yen

i must be some sort of import/export issue w/ curry, i still remember being very pissed at tsa for confiscating my curry roux when i came back from japan

it is napa cabbage they use right?

I know it as Spring cabbage, but not like I see them prepare it. The problem with bringing the packs into the US is that the curry contains meat, and you're not allowed to bring products with meat in them into the US. It's the reason instant Ramen imported to the US from Japan sucks ass. "Cup Noodles" notoriously suck in the US but they are amazing here.

• 1Mother of God

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know it as Spring cabbage, but not like I see them prepare it. The problem with bringing the packs into the US is that the curry contains meat, and you're not allowed to bring products with meat in them into the US. It's the reason instant Ramen imported to the US from Japan sucks ass. "Cup Noodles" notoriously suck in the US but they are amazing here.
this?
Haru-Kyabetsu
7674ac5edd3d2bcc1996dff1602ddf37.jpg

does not look familiar at all

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So yeah, lets spend $200+ to cook a $1 worth of rice. Sounds like a great deal. Fucking asians and their stupid rice.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
this?
Haru-Kyabetsu
7674ac5edd3d2bcc1996dff1602ddf37.jpg

does not look familiar at all

I think that's the stuff, those look kinda sad though. I usually see them like this. They're often depicted in anime too.

1671526097675.png

Nice and white and juicy inside. Great raw with sesame dressing

1671526206768.png

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So yeah, lets spend $200+ to cook a $1 worth of rice. Sounds like a great deal. Fucking asians and their stupid rice.
at the end of which it tastes like nothing and has the same nutritional content as white bread

rice isnt people food. I've written beofre about how much bland foods rustle my jimmies. Rice is the ultimate bland food, the most tasteless of the tasteless. Its offensive that its served as food.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My rice cooker cost $20 at Walmart 20 years go. It just has one button on it (the make rice button). I'm sure that rice aficionados would find something wrong with it but to me it seems perfect every time.

• 4Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
rice aficionados

Just say 'Asians', LOL

I think that's the stuff, those look kinda sad though. I usually see them like this. They're often depicted in anime too.

View attachment 448878

Nice and white and juicy inside. Great raw with sesame dressing

View attachment 448879

I mean that looks like traditional green cabbage (the 'hard' stuff) but I'd have to hold some in my hand to see if it's softer while looking the same.

Fuuuuck, now I want some cabbage.

I come from a long line of German immigrants and I miss cabbage and sauerkraut. We grew a lot of cabbage as a kid and we made our own sauerkraut a number of times. But it's just kind of died off. I remember my folks making Americanized versions of German dishes and it's just one of those childhood memories now.

Sausage/pork with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut....I miss that so much

1671552883723.png

• 4Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love sauerkraut. This used to be my favorite but I have lost my source for it.

101d8c0b-1163-43ab-aac6-eab51b69fcbc

• 3Quality Calories
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Just say 'Asians', LOL

I mean that looks like traditional green cabbage (the 'hard' stuff) but I'd have to hold some in my hand to see if it's softer while looking the same.

Fuuuuck, now I want some cabbage.

I come from a long line of German immigrants and I miss cabbage and sauerkraut. We grew a lot of cabbage as a kid and we made our own sauerkraut a number of times. But it's just kind of died off. I remember my folks making Americanized versions of German dishes and it's just one of those childhood memories now.

Sausage/pork with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut....I miss that so much

View attachment 448915
Same here. German family. Grew up eating cabbage all the time because it's cheap and last forever in the fridge. Wife e doesn't necessarily care for it, but if I make it she's got to eat it.

New Year's is coming up and I always do Cajun Black eyed peas and rice, smothered cabbage, and fry some catfish fish or do some pork chops. I think I got a ham floating around in the freezer that I might do this year as my protein component.

As much as I enjoy the Black eyed peas and whatever meat we make, the cabbage ends up always being my favorite.

• 1Like