Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
can you even eat at a steakhouse anymore?
I can't make or get the dry-aged steaks like some of the best steak restaurants, so while I love my Anova, there are steak places that are still superior to anything I've ever made at home.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yea once you guys sous vide yourself the perfect steak (you'll even bust a nut knowing you can do it with $4/lb chuck/flank steak), can you even eat at a steakhouse anymore?
Actually, when I head out to a fancy restaurant/steakhouse I rarely order a steak anymore just for that reason. I try to find something on the menu I have never had and/or can't easily prepare on my own.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't make or get the dry-aged steaks like some of the best steak restaurants, so while I love my Anova, there are steak places that are still superior to anything I've ever made at home.
Yeah, dry-aging seems to be the biggest difference. I don't have the patience to do it myself at home(nor do I trust myself not to screw it up) nor do I want to pay top-dollar for a dry-aged steak from a butcher. Some of those higher-end steakhouses that have dry-aged steaks for 21 or 30 days or whatever are damn, damn tasty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea dry age is whole different animal, but you have to make an event out of it, Peter Luggars is 50bucks a ribeye? idk, it's been 10 years.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Peter Luger's is around 130 for the porterhouse for 2.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong cut. It's the porterhouse that's 130ish.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
No way I'm starting with duck. Maybe pork tenderloin, maybe steak. But if I do a duck, it's going to be a whole duck, and it's going to be after I perfect my techniques.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
No way I'm starting with duck. Maybe pork tenderloin, maybe steak. But if I do a duck, it's going to be a whole duck, and it's going to be after I perfect my techniques.
I don't think you want to sous-vide a whole duck at once. I know for other poultry it isn't recommended but I haven't seen anything specifically related to duck.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I would do pork tenderloin or a fish that is normally a bitch to cook like halibut.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My pork tenderloin came out pretty much perfect. I do at least one a week, so I considered myself pretty pro at doing them anyway, but even then the doneness was uneven through the tenderloin. With sous vide the whole thing was perfect. And now that I have the torch it will be much easier to sear.

One thing to watch out for, I already have corrosion on mine, on the water temperature probe. Anova has something on their site saying it is normal, but seriously, like 50ish hours of use and it is already doing this. The thing on their site says that it will discolor and then stop.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I had that corrosion after one use. I just make sure I dry and wipe the probe down after every use.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just make sure I dry and wipe the probe down after every use.
Isn't that true of everything you wet dip?

Athankyou

But seriously? I have hella hard water, like shit's ridiculous even with a softener. Is this going to be a short lived appliance because water issues? Corrosion showing up after one use does not fill me with moist, deliciously cooked expectations.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm doing a test run of the Anova right now since I really didn't have anything ready to go tonight. I'm surprised at how fast the water heats.

I also have super hard water, and no water softener. I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy distilled.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
48 hour boneless Costco short-ribs @ 140 degrees then blasted with a Map torch. They were absolutely amazing and the texture was perfect (phone pictures do not do it justice as the inside was nice and pink).

rrr_img_99724.jpg

Short Ribs Time and Temp | Recipe | ChefStepsis where I got the "recipe".

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm doing a test run of the Anova right now since I really didn't have anything ready to go tonight. I'm surprised at how fast the water heats.

I also have super hard water, and no water softener. I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy distilled.
For the bath? As long as the ziplock's sealed you could sous vide it in piss. Don't bother!

Although I wouldn't recommend it in piss, either. I had a hamburger that got a bunch of water in the bag once because I zipped it poorly. It looked grey and nasty but it still tasted amazing; avoid it if you can, though.