Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks that's what I figured. I'm a bit worried about it sticking to the pan. Maybe I'll see how ramsay does it.
Your oil has to be hot enough that it makes the sizzle sound when you sprinkle a few drops of water on the pan. What oil are you using btw? don't forget about different smoke points b4 you end up with a cloudy kitchen.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I usually use extra virgin olive oil. I'm not some fancy 1%er

I'll try it out this weekend. Maybe my worry comes from sticking when it wasn't hot enough.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I usually use extra virgin olive oil. I'm not some fancy 1%er

I'll try it out this weekend. Maybe my worry comes from sticking when it wasn't hot enough.
Extra virgin olive oil has one of the lowest smoke points (i.e. starts smoking at the lowest temperature). Plus, it breaks down and starts tasting funny at high temperatures, so it's not great for pan searing. If you blend it with a bit of vegetable/canola oil though, it'll raise the smoke point.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you're worried about health or something and don't want to use vegetable oil you can use Avocado oil which has a very high smoke point.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Bruh, lard is for making delicious corn bread and flour tortillas!

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you're not saving your bacon grease and using that every time you fry, I'm not sure if we're even playing the same game.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks good! I've always wondered how there are enough chickens in the world to satiate our wing hunger.

Then they're gently cooked in a combination of beef, chicken, and duck fat for 12 hours in an immersion circulator.
Of course they're Sous Vide!

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Gravy liked peanut oil for frying it's a good neutral with a decent smoke point. If you want flavor you add it at the end like with butter or a good olive oil drizzle or how about some spices.
We liked the Kalamata olive oil for the flavor but not for frying. We got it at Trader Joe's, they used to carry a brand called Martini's that was the most delicious but they stopped carrying it, their TJ Kalamata was good...holy hell - just found Martini's on Amazon. That will save me a trip. But I digress...
In re lard - with the exception of the lard I grew up using (both my folks came from farms, I have helped to butcher more hogs, cattle and chicken than you boys can imagine), leaf lard is the way to go for lots of purposes. It makes the best fried chicken (cast iron only please) and fucking awesome pie crusts, especially if you do a combination cold butter and cold lard.

First contribution to a non depressing thread. Love the name.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Gravy liked peanut oil for frying it's a good neutral with a decent smoke point. If you want flavor you add it at the end like with butter or a good olive oil drizzle or how about some spices.
We liked the Kalamata olive oil for the flavor but not for frying. We got it at Trader Joe's, they used to carry a brand called Martini's that was the most delicious but they stopped carrying it, their TJ Kalamata was good...holy hell - just found Martini's on Amazon. That will save me a trip. But I digress...
In re lard - with the exception of the lard I grew up using (both my folks came from farms, I have helped to butcher more hogs, cattle and chicken than you boys can imagine), leaf lard is the way to go for lots of purposes. It makes the best fried chicken (cast iron only please) and fucking awesome pie crusts, especially if you do a combination cold butter and cold lard.

First contribution to a non depressing thread. Love the name.
Post of the day, for sure!