Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cooking daily is fine if i can figure out a way to do it that doesn't involve making leftovers for a week. i just cooked 1 cup of brown rice, 1 can of black beans, and 1 little package of frozen corn/carrots/peas/green beans. total cost, like $3.25, but it ended up being so much food that i'll be eating it for the next four days probably. that's the biggest hurdle for me.

i actually love to cook, if i had a family to cook for i'd be all set.
1 cup of rice
1 16oz bag of veg medley
1 can of black beans

and you're saying that's meals for 4 days? If that's all you're eating, it should 1 meal and next day left overs at most, i really do not see how you can stretch that to 4 days. Not to mention the rice would be nasty and vegs soggy as shit, after day 2.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
was enough volume at the end to fill up my largest pyrex bowl. was 1 cup dry rice, expanded to like 2.5cups after cooking for an hour. and yes i know it gets nasty after a couple days, that's what i'm complaining about. =p

can produce photographic evidence and even use a scale if you like. its definitely too much food for a bachelor to be making at once.

or maybe i'm just habitually used to nutrient-dense processed/fortified food and can't fathom eating this much bulk. idk. ate a heaping bowl of it and i'm full tho, i know that.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
was enough volume at the end to fill up my largest pyrex bowl. was 1 cup dry rice, expanded to like 2.5cups after cooking for an hour. and yes i know it gets nasty after a couple days, that's what i'm complaining about. =p

can produce photographic evidence and even use a scale if you like. its definitely too much food for a bachelor to be making at once.

or maybe i'm just habitually used to nutrient-dense processed/fortified food and can't fathom eating this much bulk. idk. ate a heaping bowl of it and i'm full tho, i know that.
I mean it's gonna be rough if you cook these huge portions and then have to eat the same thing for days. Cook smaller portions so you can vary every day or two.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Cooked brown rice is 216 calories/cup. So that is 618 calories.
16oz pack of frozen veggies is ~290 calories.
Can of Black Beans is 400 calories.

That is barely, barely, more calories then you need per day to not send your body into starvation mode. Either you have no clue how much you're actually cooking/eating, or you're anorexic and should seek medical attention. If that is four days of food you're eating 300 calories/day.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If it's iceburg lettuce you're just eating water with dressing. My parents are convinced they are getting something from salads that are based on iceburg, but that shit is completely nutritionally worthless. Spinach, kale, arugula ect is the way to go for vitamins minerals and fiber.
Mixed greens, spinach, the good stuff. Pffft... Iceburg. This ain't my first rodeo.

Hey bros, I just had Five Guys for dinner. Did you guys know they use American cheese on their burgers?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
are you guys imagining me eating this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for four days straight? because that is not what i meant.

this will easily stretch for me eating it either as just dinner or as lunch and dinner both for at least three days, tho.

i drink beer and soda. maybe that's tricking me into feeling less hungry than i should.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
are you guys imagining me eating this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for four days straight? because that is not what i meant.

this will easily stretch for me eating it either as just dinner or as lunch and dinner both for at least three days, tho.

i drink beer and soda. maybe that's tricking me into feeling less hungry than i should.
no one is thinking you're gonna eat that for breakfast..., we all took it that if you cooked that recipe, you would basically have 5 meals, 1 to eat and 4 left over.

Which to all of us, sounds impossible for a grown man, or any man, b/c those serving sizes would not even be enough to keep a supermodel waif fed.

Realistically that recipe would give 3 meals, it would be very veggie light tho, i'd say it would be 3 proper meals if you added another 16oz bag of veggies, then you can comfortably say it could be enough for a vegetarian for 3 meals.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
perhaps i do have an issue that is coming to light, then, because this large pyrex bowl full of food looks like quite a lot to me.

i'm 6'0" and 210lbs tho so

probably of note that i just finished up chemotherapy a week and a half ago. tho my appetite isn't that much worse than it used to be, this has been an issue since before my cancer.

i grew up with my parents feeding me a pretty heavy carnivore/processed foods diet, maybe i'm just fucked up and don't know how to eat real food lol...

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
think you just need to start google fu'ing vegetation recipes and strategies. rice beans and veggies is going to get old right quick. you're a recent vegetarian?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
perhaps i do have an issue that is coming to light, then, because this large pyrex bowl full of food looks like quite a lot to me.

i'm 6'0" and 210lbs tho so

probably of note that i just finished up chemotherapy a week and a half ago. tho my appetite isn't that much worse than it used to be, this has been an issue since before my cancer.

i grew up with my parents feeding me a pretty heavy carnivore/processed foods diet, maybe i'm just fucked up and don't know how to eat real food lol...
cool on you for finishing chemo, 6' and 210 sounds healthy enough, do the doctors or family say you're too thin? for all we know you could be rail thin w/ a pot belly.

But yea, just eat a celery stalk and a carrot a day, imo. would probably get you enough to pass tests at least. Cuz just forcing yourself to veg would be bad enough, that you'd have to cook it too.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
everyone that has seen me since i've finished chemo has remarked that i look healthy. i'm only about 10lbs lighter than when i started. i look slender til i'm naked then i look chubby since i don't have any muscle tone, but that's a different discussion i suppose.

the celery stalk and carrot a day thing isn't a horrible idea. would definitely have to force myself on the carrot (the celery would be NP), but yeah. gotta do what you gotta do i guess.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My go-to foods for fiber, without killing myself eating nothing but vegetables is oatmeal(love it, especially with a little brown sugar mixed in) and whole wheat pasta noodles.

Peas and Lentils and Beans are all fine and good, but I can't bring myself to eat them every single day, whereas I'll eat oatmeal or pasta any time without flinching.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Wow holy shit, you google american cheese on youtube...

first, here's vid on what it's made out of, i checked and kraft lists 17 ingredients

and there are tons of videos of ppl just putting a cheese slice up to a lighter and having it burn like plastic, here's the least offensive one, at least these ppl look like chefs.
These people are idiots. American cheese is just cheddar with some other cheese and some emulsifiers added to it to make it melt more easily. You don't have to like it but it's not some magic technosubstance that is somehow unhealthy (any more than any other cheese). Just a couple weeks ago some dumb hippy posted one of those videos on my facebook where someone holds a lighter on a kraft single and freaks out because it doesn't act like they decided it should with the comment "No wonder cancer is on the rise". Just say no to stupidity.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The ingredients list for a kraft single is actually really innocuous compared to the sort of thing most of those types get upset about. But it still isn't really cheese the way they do it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's basically 51% chedder cheese and 49% stuff to make it look and stay like a cheese slice.

It's no different than saying oj should just be 100% oranges, but you're getting a lot more than that in a box of Tropicana. You're getting "flavor packets" and other things that do not have to be listed, but hey you don't want to squeeze 4 oranges every day.

Just like who wants to curd their own cheese? well you gotta deal w/ chemicals to make it look presentable and have shelf life.