Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you really want cheap, you have to break down the best way to obtain the 3 land proteins.

Chicken/pork/beef

This usually involves breaking down the animal yourself, either sales of grocery stores to "the clubs"

i'll use my own area as an example in ks.

I can get whole chickens that don't look mutated for .95c /lb

i've broken down a roasted chicken before and a 4lb chicken will net you

cataloging that a roasted 4lb chicken will produce
14oz in bones
20oz in white meat
21oz in dark meat

the rest is chicken fat.

You could really stretch that chicken by using that 14oz in bones (my recommendation is to freeze your first carcass and wait until you have 2 birds) and make chicken stock. you don't even have to throw in veggies to make the stock, but celery and carrots are like the cheapest veggies and they add enough flavor.

Once you have this chicken stock made, you can then use that stock to flavor and cook other recipes

It's also actually one of the ways to make keto enjoyable, it's called keto bone broth, usually ppl cook w/ beef bones instead and freeze it, but it's all just stock in the end.

Again once you realize all stock is, is just a way to extract bone marrow into yumminess, you'll keep on doing it., even have an ice tray where you freeze a few cubes to just dump in your food when it's cooking.

While I am sure it's tasty. Why bother doing this when better than boullion is so inexpensive?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't have the kitchen space nor the freezer space to pull that off.

And initial investment for buying in bulk would be tough, anyway. I only get about $600 a month from disability and need to pay bills out of that too =\

• 1Salty

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
While I am sure it's tasty. Why bother doing this when better than boullion is so inexpensive?

And TJT gets me, I want to keep it simple, I'm not going to have the energy to carve apart chickens when I'm recovering from chemo and my immune system is all fucked up.

• 1Salty

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't care about sodium. Just want to get into ketosis to hopefully stop my cancer from growing.

I know cheap and easy together isn't going to be easy, it's part of why I'm asking now, three months ahead of time.

Not going to be able to pull money and energy out of thin air, this will be my fifth time doing chemo, I expect to be asleep like 16 hours a day for awhile at first.

• 1Salty

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I expect to be asleep like 16 hours a day for awhile at first.
yea that's great, put the pot on low for 16 hours, sleep and wake up to bone broth, thats literally the recipe low and slow, that's how you break down all the collegen in the bones to get bone broth.

look man it literally broke my heart when i had to prop my dad upright, while my sister held his legs, so he could chop some scallions, which would be the last meal he ever cooked (cuz he loved to cook).

i'm trying really hard to empathize, but you should really checkout those articles on bone broth + keto

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'm trying really hard to empathize, but you should really checkout those articles on bone broth + keto

I'm listening dude, wasn't dismissing your ideas. Just trying to get as many ideas as possible.

• 1Salty

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
While i was shopping for tiles for my patio, i found those unglazed quarry tiles, bought 9, 6x6. They don't all fit, but since i also bought a tile saw, it ain't no thang, gonna buy 3 more to fill out the entire rack (this way, when i pull out the rack, nothing is gonna shift around).

Friday is cheat day, so i'll see if we get pizza or not to test it out.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm listening dude, wasn't dismissing your ideas. Just trying to get as many ideas as possible.

I think a lot of people honestly want to help as much as possible, so why don't you give us as specific a budget as you will have for a week's worth of food and then tell us what foods you absolutely cannot stand to eat. We'll try to come up with something simple and easy for you to start with. Also, understanding you'll be wiped out from the chemo, what is the maximum level of activity you'll have for the kitchen? Will you be able to stand and chop vegetables or is that out of the question? Will you be able to cook meat on the stove or are you going to be limited to the microwave?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Chickens are like $6 ea. Cut those fuckers up, marinade overnight, and then bake the next day. make 2 and you have meal for 3-4 days. You can debone chicken if bored and make chicken salad, chicken wraps. They now have low carb flatbread, wraps and other shit in supermarkets check them thoroughly. They also have shiratake noodles that are like 1 carb. Not the same texture of real noodles, but close enough. You can make shit like coleslaw for sides yourself. Buy a bag of pre-cut slaw mix then make your own simple slaw dressing using mayo, cider vinegar, salt pepper and sweetener like equal. Tastes even better.

Kroger has buy one get one free chuck roasts all the fucking time. $13-15 and you have beef for the whole week. Make roasts or cut up roast and make other shit like stroganoff. awesome on top of those shiratake noodles.

I used to make chicken fajitas. Cut up like 4-5lbs of chicken breasts, marinade overnight with fajita seasoning and some chili powder. Then pan fry the strips in some oil to 70-80%, then throw the strips into a baking dish. Then at the end sear up some cut up peppers and onion, then toss those into the baking dish, then mix all up, cover with shredded cheese and bake for 30 min. You dont even need flatbread for this. Awesome by itself.

Since I have a family that does not eat keto, I had to also feed them, right? So shit like tacos, which I still make, would be tacos for them, and taco salad for me. Topped with some ranch and taco bell taco sauce, shit was quite tasty. Ive recently bought a pressure cooker, quick easy way to make meats.... these days I dont even crave carbs anymore.

Ive added some carbs back to my diet, maybe 80-100g/day these days because its just easier. But I remember I used to just eat mostly meats, cheeses, some veggies, salad mixes shit like that. Still keeping up my weight for the past few years, hovering around 215-220, down from 275. And my blood work which gets tested at work every year is still awesome, total turnaround from before. Still people all around me saying shit like, youre gonna get heart disease, youre eating too much fat, its not good for you...etc...etc...while they are pounding carb shit all day.

Eating Keto takes some work, shit sucks but what you gonna do. I wish they started adding more and more keto friendly foods but such as life. Youre gonna have to put some work in to eat Keto.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As a beef producer, I feel like a traitor for saying this, but I think some of the best bang for your buck at the meat counter is pork shoulder blade steaks. I think they taste much better than pork chops, but usually sell cheaper. I don't know why. Usually $1.89 a pound at my store even when they're not on sale. Being able to eat a big steak for $2.50 is pretty awesome, even though it's nowhere near as good as a proper beef steak.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
As a beef producer, I feel like a traitor for saying this, but I think some of the best bang for your buck at the meat counter is pork shoulder blade steaks. I think they taste much better than pork chops, but usually sell cheaper. I don't know why. Usually $1.89 a pound at my store even when they're not on sale. Being able to eat a big steak for $2.50 is pretty awesome, even though it's nowhere near as good as a proper beef steak.

You work in beef? Yo, hook me up. Where is the best place I can get full select tenderloins cheap?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Chickens are like $6 ea. Cut those fuckers up, marinade overnight, and then bake the next day. make 2 and you have meal for 3-4 days. You can debone chicken if bored and make chicken salad, chicken wraps. They now have low carb flatbread, wraps and other shit in supermarkets check them thoroughly. They also have shiratake noodles that are like 1 carb. Not the same texture of real noodles, but close enough. You can make shit like coleslaw for sides yourself. Buy a bag of pre-cut slaw mix then make your own simple slaw dressing using mayo, cider vinegar, salt pepper and sweetener like equal. Tastes even better.

Kroger has buy one get one free chuck roasts all the fucking time. $13-15 and you have beef for the whole week. Make roasts or cut up roast and make other shit like stroganoff. awesome on top of those shiratake noodles.

I used to make chicken fajitas. Cut up like 4-5lbs of chicken breasts, marinade overnight with fajita seasoning and some chili powder. Then pan fry the strips in some oil to 70-80%, then throw the strips into a baking dish. Then at the end sear up some cut up peppers and onion, then toss those into the baking dish, then mix all up, cover with shredded cheese and bake for 30 min. You dont even need flatbread for this. Awesome by itself.

Since I have a family that does not eat keto, I had to also feed them, right? So shit like tacos, which I still make, would be tacos for them, and taco salad for me. Topped with some ranch and taco bell taco sauce, shit was quite tasty. Ive recently bought a pressure cooker, quick easy way to make meats.... these days I dont even crave carbs anymore.

Ive added some carbs back to my diet, maybe 80-100g/day these days because its just easier. But I remember I used to just eat mostly meats, cheeses, some veggies, salad mixes shit like that. Still keeping up my weight for the past few years, hovering around 215-220, down from 275. And my blood work which gets tested at work every year is still awesome, total turnaround from before. Still people all around me saying shit like, youre gonna get heart disease, youre eating too much fat, its not good for you...etc...etc...while they are pounding carb shit all day.

Eating Keto takes some work, shit sucks but what you gonna do. I wish they started adding more and more keto friendly foods but such as life. Youre gonna have to put some work in to eat Keto.
How do those shiratake noodles taste? I bought some but haven't bit the bullet just yet.

khorum

Murder Apologist
excessive carbs might even be a bigger threat to America than liberals are

Academic’s meat-only diet ruffles feathers

vnIv2k0c1rgzfQ2c4mgc-YBi4bNGmIncWCseXXEvan-2RyDvPJS02ApZOnm00iBN_6o6CMUqvjhIC7Zjcm1FvmJw2rG9xqgW=s1200
keto without fiber IS risky tho. look into oat husk fiber and glucommannan/konjac fiber pastas.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How do those shiratake noodles taste? I bought some but haven't bit the bullet just yet.
You need to rinse the shit out of them because they stink, but once rinsed and boiled they taste like nothing, just added texture. A filler.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you don't think you're eating "fake noodles", they actually have a decent enough texture that it's great.

They have zero flavor tho, so whatever you add in, the fake noodles are gonna absorb the flavor, just like tofu.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Which can be fixed with breathmints. As opposed to muffin tops and spare tires, which can only be fixed by low bodyfat percentages.

• 1Like