Gravy's Cooking Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Bought a pack of "country style" spare ribs. Anyone have a good low carb recipe for 'em? Going to sous vide 'em.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Country ribs is crock pot, 1/2 onion cut up, cup water, cup bbq sauce, and let that shit go on high until done. (8 hrs ish)

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just leave the bbq sauce out or use a vinegar/mustard based bbq sauce for low carbiness. Country Style ribs are so good directly from the slow cooker even with just salt and pepper.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
ended up keeping it simple... seasoned them with my go-to combo of Lawry's Seasoning Salt and regular old garlic powder. they're in the sous vide now, 140F for 24 hours. going to finish them in my oven under the broiler.... going to try this sugar free BBQ sauce on a couple of them, but not all since i'm not sure sugarless BBQ sauce will really come out as well as the "real" kind.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, with no sugar it's not going to form a crust like real BBQ sauce. It will be interesting to see what happens but I wouldn't expect a good outcome. FWIW, you can also do ribs in the pressure cooker and finish under the broiler with very good results and way less time.

Khane

I still need to buy a pressure cooker. I have no room for more kitchen gadgets

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Much to my father's dismay (he's a retired chef), I am a shitty cook. I do like the instant pot I got last year though. It enables me to be lazy and still cook some decent food. Can cook some stuff pretty quickly with the pressure settings and the thing is fairly idiot proof.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, i need to get a pressure cooker, too. or an Instant Pot, i guess? Instant Pots can double as a slow cooker, right? or am i making that up?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
yeah, i need to get a pressure cooker, too. or an Instant Pot, i guess? Instant Pots can double as a slow cooker, right? or am i making that up?

Yeah, it's both a slow cooker and pressure cooker. I have the 6 quart one and have been pretty happy with it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Much to my father's dismay (he's a retired chef), I am a shitty cook. I do like the instant pot I got last year though. It enables me to be lazy and still cook some decent food. Can cook some stuff pretty quickly with the pressure settings and the thing is fairly idiot proof.
so when you pick up a knife, dis is dad?
1464961995127355574.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
so when you pick up a knife, dis is dad?
1464961995127355574.gif

I have been working with him in restaurants since I was 6, so I did pick up a few things and I'm not quite that bad with a knife. I'm just lazy as shit and have no creativity. I have been doing more cooking as I have gotten older so he's quite pleased whenever I ask him for recipes or how to do certain things properly.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I can't ignore the effects it's had on other people I personally know anymore. Think I'm gonna go in on this keto thing - which is going to be a big adjustment after being primarily veggie for over a year now. I haven't even cooked meat at home since early 2017. No rice, fruit, or beans will be the biggest adjustment. The rest should be pretty easy. Time to look up a bunch of recipes. But damn, no more burritos or tacos. Shit's gonna be rough.

What about beer? Y'all know I'm very, very into craft beer and that seems like a no-go with this diet. I can't be a gin & soda guy the rest of my life!

• 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Doesn't alcohol effectively count as carbs? At least, from a ketosis standpoint? Seems like your body would metabolize it much easier than proteins and fat.

What do you mean by "effect on other people" aside from weight loss?

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I can't ignore the effects it's had on other people I personally know anymore. Think I'm gonna go in on this keto thing - which is going to be a big adjustment after being primarily veggie for over a year now. I haven't even cooked meat at home since early 2017. No rice, fruit, or beans will be the biggest adjustment. The rest should be pretty easy. Time to look up a bunch of recipes. But damn, no more burritos or tacos. Shit's gonna be rough.

What about beer? Y'all know I'm very, very into craft beer and that seems like a no-go with this diet. I can't be a gin & soda guy the rest of my life!
Isn't the sugar in all alcohol... so none of it?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I mean weight loss. I'm working out way less with this new job since I don't have my work from home schedule anymore. I'm hoping that will stabilize soon as I get used to it, but it's been two months now and I noticed I'm tired and shit when I get home from work. I'd rather be more proactive with a diet change instead of waiting before things get out of hand. Sucks. Might need to start making more productive use of my weekends for runs or hikes.

Khane

You're going to need to figure out what your net carb limit is for staying in ketosis. Everyone is different. Some people can't eat more than 20g per day without kicking themselves out of ketosis. Some people can eat 80g+ without ever getting close.

As for the beer, especially craft beer, that's A LOT of carbs brother. I doubt you'll be able to do much beer drinking and still maintain ketosis.

As for sugar being in all alcohol Ao- Ao- , I think you're confusing things like yeast eating sugar to carbonate alcohol or the sugars from the barrels that certain alcohols are aged in seeping into the liquid with there being actual sugar in alcohol. A lot of hard liquor has no carbs, meaning no sugar.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Isn't the sugar in all alcohol... so none of it?

Alcohol has calories, but its not metabolized the same way as sugars. Im only talking about shit like vodka, tequila, whiskey etc...80 proof liquer. And no, they dont have "carbs" But yeah, if youre gonna pound 12 beers or fruity drinks, or any sort of shnapps type shit, yeah that stuff is filled with sugars.

The problem most have with alcohol and any kind of diet is their inhibitions are lowered and some people pig out while drunk.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
A Ketogenic Diet and Alcohol: Can they Mix? | Ruled Me

You can drink on keto. Since alcohol is broken down into acetone, it can actually up your keto count in small amounts. Going overboard is throwing a wrench in your fat metabolism tho.

I drank some Michelob Ultra last night. 2.8g carbs per can. Ended up getting a decent buzz and not going over my daily limit. Being on keto makes you a lightweight anyway.

Most liquor has ZERO carbs so you can be even more liberal than that.

Everyone will have their own limit, so if you do try alcohol, start small and work up.