Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My pizza stone has lasted for years, though I never cook frozen pizzas on it. Just homemade ones. Frozen pizzas I just do like normal.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Been using a pizza stone for years now. Always toss the pizza on frozen. No cracks

I must have terrible luck, went through 3 in as many years. During the summer season I love to make a traditional margherita pizza from scratch with basil and tomatoes from the garden. Usually the 2nd or 3rd time of use it would crack at around the 500 degree mark. Switched to making them on the grill which works well but enjoyed them more out of the oven with the extra cornmeal baked into the crust from the stone. If I had room to store the thing I'd love to try out the pizza oven attachment for pellet grills but hard to justify the real estate let alone the cost for such a small/narrow window of use.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Made paella a couple days ago, and it's good shit. Made it with bone-in chicken thighs and ox shank. Cooked that marrow right into the rice, and had a nice, crispy rice bottom on the pan. Shit's pretty easy to do, and makes a mountain of food if you have the right pan.

My kids said it was delicious, and then I told them there was a bunch of bone marrow cooked in it, and they just about mutinied. Then they calmed down and had seconds. Kids are weird.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I use mine at 500 every time. They don't have the one I bought any more on Amazon. I bought it almost 3 years ago and used it a ton. No issues.

1544063829065.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I must have terrible luck, went through 3 in as many years. During the summer season I love to make a traditional margherita pizza from scratch with basil and tomatoes from the garden. Usually the 2nd or 3rd time of use it would crack at around the 500 degree mark. Switched to making them on the grill which works well but enjoyed them more out of the oven with the extra cornmeal baked into the crust from the stone. If I had room to store the thing I'd love to try out the pizza oven attachment for pellet grills but hard to justify the real estate let alone the cost for such a small/narrow window of use.
You heating the oven first then tossing it in or something? I know you have to let it come to temp with the oven or it gets shocked

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
dude try the quarry tile, it'll be awesome, probably less than 5bucks to cover a standard oven tray
dab36c4fcba850a6bca6a8bfbcdd7683.png

(somehow images aren't displaying)

i just leave my quarry tiles in the oven, it's also a great way to maintain oven temp, it's a basic induction oven and i've pumped it up to 500 many times, no cracks, and if there was it'd just cost 50c to replace a tile.

i don't know if you have a menards, thats what i goto (instead of HD/lowes), but they have regular quarry tiles as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
You heating the oven first then tossing it in or something? I know you have to let it come to temp with the oven or it gets shocked

I was putting it in the oven before turning it on and they almost always cracked on the second or third time.

dude try the quarry tile, it'll be awesome, probably less than 5bucks to cover a standard oven tray
dab36c4fcba850a6bca6a8bfbcdd7683.png

(somehow images aren't displaying)

i just leave my quarry tiles in the oven, it's also a great way to maintain oven temp, it's a basic induction oven and i've pumped it up to 500 many times, no cracks, and if there was it'd just cost 50c to replace a tile.

i don't know if you have a menards, thats what i goto (instead of HD/lowes), but they have regular quarry tiles as well.

I'll give that a go. Kind of in the mood for pizza now and it's freezing outside so a good time to crank the oven to 500.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea this thread is making me want to buy a baking steel and channel my inner Guiseppe

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I was putting it in the oven before turning it on and they almost always cracked on the second or third time.

I'll give that a go. Kind of in the mood for pizza now and it's freezing outside so a good time to crank the oven to 500.
Just put some take home and bake pizza last night
IMG_20181206_091452.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had never heard of the tile thing until this place. Still trying to decide if it's an elaborate troll.because that pic is hilarious

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I had never heard of the tile thing until this place. Still trying to decide if it's an elaborate troll.because that pic is hilarious
do your own search if you want
6b3d5c22e530da8a40bb119ac4aed2c6.png

as long as you get unglazed (nude) tiles, it's just like baking on a rock.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Do you bleach them first or something, or does the heat kill it?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
KitchenAid mixer on sale

Add this to.your cart and it drops to $140ish (189 in the link)

If.you shopped black Friday there it'll stack the 20% coupon you got

If you have a red card another 5% off. If you have all that it's about $116

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
KitchenAid mixer on sale

Add this to.your cart and it drops to $140ish (189 in the link)

If.you shopped black Friday there it'll stack the 20% coupon you got

If you have a red card another 5% off. If you have all that it's about $116

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

Not trying to shit on a deal, but just making sure peeps are forwarned.

At that MSRP, this almost certainly has the plastic geartrain all the new ones have. Can't tell if its a metal or plastic body though. Either way, this *ISN'T* the 50lb 40yr old monster workhorse your mother had/still has. Don't expect to hand it down to your kids.

Edit:
Material: Zinc, Stainless Steel

So its a metal body. Teh Googles can't make up its mind if this model number is metal or plastic/nylon gears though, so... ?roll the dice?

I do love me the accessory port and all the additional things you can make a KA do because of it; but I'm super intriged by Euro/Indian standard style:

Ankarsrum-AKM-6220-Stand-Mixer.jpg

Where the bowl rotates and beater/tool is stationary. Pretty spendy here in the US though.

Last edited:

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jesus, clearly I need to quit doing whatever the fuck I was doing before posting.

Triplepost.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users