Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had a couple of family members that would make potato pancakes, similar thing. I bet the rice flour works better than AP does, gives it a smoother consistency.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man potato pancakes are like a staple in our house. again polock.

We dont do anything fancy just grate up a few raw potato, one onion, add a few eggs, season, stir it all up then pan fry. Like my mom and her mom before used to do.

The above recipe is more akin to a potato dumpling than potato pancakes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So what we called potato pancakes in the heavily Irish/German region of Texas I came from was basically mashed potatoes mixed with egg, AP flour, possible cheese, and spices then pan fried. Consistency is like a pancake with the potato replacing much of the flour content. Some people actually eat them with butter and syrup as well. We would have called what you made hash browns, sounds similar to a latke.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So what we called potato pancakes in the heavily Irish/German region of Texas I came from was basically mashed potatoes mixed with egg, AP flour, possible cheese, and spices then pan fried. Consistency is like a pancake with the potato replacing much of the flour content. Some people actually eat them with butter and syrup as well. We would have called what you made hash browns, sounds similar to a latke.

Yeah pretty much, we call them potato pancakes because its word for word translation from polish to English and were not Jews, I never heard of "latke" until we came to this country.

Polish placki ziemniaczane

A potato pancake with spicy goulash (Placki ziemniaczane z gulaszem na ostro) served with Bundz (sheep's milk cheese) and sour cream (perhaps mixed with yogurt) in a restaurant in Zakopane, Poland

Potato pancakes, literally translated in Polish as placki ziemniaczane, are often served in Poland topped with meat sauce, pork crisps or goulash, as well as sour cream, apple sauce, mushroom sauce, and cottage or sheep's cheese or even fruit syrup. Placki ziemniaczane was a food staple at the 17th-century Polish monasteries according to written recipe from Stoczek Warmiński with one onion, two eggs and a spoonful of wheat flour per each kilogram of potatoes, served only with salt and pepper. In the 19th century, especially in times of economic difficulty during the foreign partitions, potato pancakes often replaced missing bread among the peasants. The lower-quality crops given to field laborers were sometimes turned by them quickly into pancakes to improve taste and prolong freshness. Also, their popularity is closely associated with the historic presence of one of the largest Jewish communities in the world flourishing in Poland.

Also being from poland myself, I never had these things served with any type of gravy or sause or any of that shit other than maybe some sour cream on the side.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am intrigued by this pancake. I think it would do well to add some spicy Texan salsa to it and sour cream. This will be tasty.

I'll make some on Sunday.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I too grew up eating those. Mom would always turn leftover mashed potatoes from dinner into potato pancakes the next day. Big fan.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok... fucking shit, had induction wok, air fryer AND rice cooker going on, i guess that blew a fuse when the air fryer was done "dinged". heating element died in air fryer, wasn't a good surprise when i pulled out 2 raw chicken legs after 20minutes, i "thought" i forgot to set it, then tried again, and after another 20 and raw legs, shit is busted.

have a new one coming in today, goddamn amazon and their free 1day shipping, ha.

i just chose a smaller one this time at 3.5Q, i want to see if that is the smallest i can get, while fitting in a whole chicken.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
for at home, the best 'fry' replacement is always bagged frozen tots, they crisp up perfectly in the over and are on the level of fries

bagged frozen fries never come out good and good home made frys really are a shit ton of work to get right

False.

Crumple up your aluminum foil before putting it on your pan, then de-crumple it, spread the fries out on it, and cook normally. They will turn out 5x better and much crispier.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
False.

Crumple up your aluminum foil before putting it on your pan, then de-crumple it, spread the fries out on it, and cook normally. They will turn out 5x better and much crispier.

I love tots but ill get some frys and try that.

• 1Solidarity

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
Any recommendations for a cheap & quick/easy method or device for chopping up potatoes for hashbrowns?
Box grater is what you need. I have had this one for over 10 years. Looking on amazon, the new design is different, maybe fine, maybe not.
87150517-1785-46e4-a463-a42403bb9108_1.7d997a7de621b4c1cf7c833a32e1d523.jpeg

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
ok... fucking shit, had induction wok, air fryer AND rice cooker going on, i guess that blew a fuse when the air fryer was done "dinged". heating element died in air fryer, wasn't a good surprise when i pulled out 2 raw chicken legs after 20minutes, i "thought" i forgot to set it, then tried again, and after another 20 and raw legs, shit is busted.

have a new one coming in today, goddamn amazon and their free 1day shipping, ha.

i just chose a smaller one this time at 3.5Q, i want to see if that is the smallest i can get, while fitting in a whole chicken.
My air Fryer doesn't need electricity for the timer to work. Was yours plugged in? I've done that a few times. I twist the timer to set it and walk away. Come back, still cold raw food, and I'm like fuck! Forgot to plug it in!

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My air Fryer doesn't need electricity for the timer to work. Was yours plugged in? I've done that a few times. I twist the timer to set it and walk away. Come back, still cold raw food, and I'm like fuck! Forgot to plug it in!
yea mine doesn't either, but i had it all plugged in, checked many times for sanity, (also you hear the fan), and then i flipped it on it's side, used a chop stick to engage the switch, fan turns on, element is cold.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just tried the other Campbell's Sauce, Tavern Style Pot Roast, shit was amazing. Has to be some of the highest quality quick meals I've had in my life.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I was out grocery shopping and came across a new freezer near the meat section. It had dishes you buy by the pound. Flavors I remember were chicken tikka masala, chicken and sausage gumbo, chicken alfredo, and chicken fried rice. Found it interesting and might try it out sometime. Grab how ever much you need and 15ish minutes in a skillet and it is ready. I've never really tried the grab a bag of whatever I've seen in the froazen department so maybe nothing really new to it.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
I've been tempted to try that as well, but the store I shop at stopped carrying it so go figure (they replaced it with mochi ice cream).
Bought a meat grinder since the SO wants to go deer and elk hunting this year. Made some chorizo as a test run using the all recipes version. Overall not bad but I will definitely be adding more heat next time as i like a hot sausage (oh my). Figure I'll add chipotle powder or possibly a jar of chipotles and the adobo.
With that being said anyone have any favorite grinder recipes?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Steamed. Last time I was in NY I had like 15 $.80 buns. I don't even care if it was cat meat, shit was good.
char siu bao is split into two sections, the filling and the dough, the filling is called char siu. (bao means bun/bread)

char siu is basically chinese bbq, i don't know your skill level, but the easiest way is to get this sauce

Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Chinese Barbecue Sauce - 8.5 oz. (if you have an asian grocer it's 3x cheaper), and make some regular non seasoned american pulled pork (and give it a quick sizzle on the grill or cast iron pan to char it up a tinge) and mix it up.

then you can follow simply dumplings bao/bread recipe and he shows how you fold the bao and make the "fish lips"

if you don't have a bamboo steamer, again, amazon Mister Kitchenware 10 Inch Handmade Bamboo Steamer, 2 Tier Baskets, Healthy Cooking for Vegetables, Dim Sum Dumplings, Buns, Chicken Fish & Meat Included Chopsticks, 10 Liners & Sauce Dish

steamed is not difficult, if you adept at the kitchen it'll probably take you 10 bao folds b4 you get it right.

once you make this and you think you want something more authentic, i'll hook you up with a real char siu recipe.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users